Wish: More Solid Color Tops

I predict the Silver Sky color palette will expand in the next couple years. They’ve been fairly muted but it’d be great to see some classic colors like sea foam green, candy apple red or a cobalt blue.

I’d love to see the platinum finish return, and the silver and gold holoflakes. And the Egyptian Gold. All those would look killer on the Vela.

Obviously they couldn't use the same name, but a rather similar color named differently would avoid the lawsuit, Gibson can't trademark blue - though if anyone tried, it'd be Gibson.

I highly doubt there'd be a successful lawsuit.

In the '50s and '60s when these colors came out, the guitar makers used the automotive paints that were available at the time. With the exception of sunbursts, they did not create their own paint colors.

For example (info from Paintref.com, an automotive paint reference site used by car paint shops):

Usage list of Dupont paint code 4038L

1960 Cadillac Cadillac 24 Pelham Blue
1960 GM 24 Pelham Blue
1963 Fleet Gibson Firebird Pelham Blue 1963-69

As you can see, Gibson did not create this color, nor did they name it. Many of the trademarks would have been owned by DuPont and other paint manufacturers. Many (if not most) of these trademarks most likely would have expired after all this time.

However, it'd be a very simple thing to do a trademark search.

On the other hand, I don't know why PRS would want to use some other company's names for its colors - they've been pretty creative themselves.

I should add a personal comment.

I always think I'm going to buy a gold top PRS. I look at pictures of gold top PRSes and drool. I've shopped around for them. But having owned perhaps 35 PRSes during the past 30 years, I've never actually pulled the trigger on a gold top or other solid color PRS.

I'm always seduced by the transparent finishes. I suspect I'm not the only one.

I wanted a solid color 594 when they first came out - my local dealer called down to Maryland and his rep took a phone shot of the only one they had - I took it. I've never seen this metallic color listed as a 594 color - I think it came from the Custom 24 line at least 6 years ago now and I can't remember what they called it. I just like it. PS. I wish these links would just show up embedded in the post like they do at TGP - what am I doing wrong - I copy the link from imgur and put it in the post and you have to click on it to see it in a new browser window...
https://imgur.com/LE5TTnk

Usage list of Dupont paint code 4038L

1960 Cadillac Cadillac 24 Pelham Blue
1960 GM 24 Pelham Blue
1963 Fleet Gibson Firebird Pelham Blue 1963-69

As you can see, Gibson did not create this color, nor did they name it. Many of the trademarks would have been owned by DuPont and other paint manufacturers. Many (if not most) of these trademarks most likely would have expired after all this time.

However, it'd be a very simple thing to do a trademark search.

On the other hand, I don't know why PRS would want to use some other company's names for its colors - they've been pretty creative themselves.

Plus they'd apparently have to buy two colors depending on which models they'd use the color on - the 1960s are for 24-fret guitars.

I wanted a solid color 594 when they first came out - my local dealer called down to Maryland and his rep took a phone shot of the only one they had - I took it. I've never seen this metallic color listed as a 594 color - I think it came from the Custom 24 line at least 6 years ago now and I can't remember what they called it. I just like it. PS. I wish these links would just show up embedded in the post like they do at TGP - what am I doing wrong - I copy the link from imgur and put it in the post and you have to click on it to see it in a new browser window...

That's really sweet! Great combination of wood and color.

PS. I wish these links would just show up embedded in the post like they do at TGP - what am I doing wrong - I copy the link from imgur and put it in the post and you have to click on it to see it in a new browser window...

Try tapping on the image in Imgur so it opens it up into a selection window with a black border, and then from that page copy the link. It should result in a link ending with the image extension which can be pasted into the image brackets.

I approve this message! It took me forever to find a black top guitar that checked all my boxes.
5-E6-CF949-115-E-4-C84-97-BE-1348-B64-D3-E76.jpg
Dammmm, this is cool. My eyes say camo fretboard and headstock. Black narrowfield (if that's what it is) is so stealth. Black chrome tuners.... Love this thing!
How about a pick of the back?

Except it’s not just a question of colour is it.

Start adding solid colours and your whole manufacturing and purchasing strategy changes, ‘cos you’re not going to use flamed maple for starters.

I fall into the category of liking PRS (in part) because of the finishes. It’s a wooden instrument, I want to see the wood (chuckle). That’s why my P20E is the natural hog version.

It also creates quite a problem for me since many of the colours I like are accompanied by black backs and necks, and I’d prefer them to be natural.

If I was a Fender guy it’d be different, as they don’t put any real importance on the lump of tree they make their guitars out of (even if they say they do).

Dammmm, this is cool. My eyes say camo fretboard and headstock. Black narrowfield (if that's what it is) is so stealth. Black chrome tuners.... Love this thing!
How about a pick of the back?

Yea I love how it’s stealthy and flashy at the same time, a really interesting build. It’s an SSH so it does have the middle narrowfield and all hardware is smoked.

The wood is swamp ash back, maple top (maybe a 10 top that something went wrong with according to the pickup cavity.), maple neck and Ziricote fretboard. It’s surprisingly become one of my favorite guitars even though I love a good flame top.
EB53-AD85-9690-410-F-9365-AF2-D72765104.jpg

32-B02-FC8-E940-419-F-9-EFF-05-E203-CDE433.jpg

351-C4272-AB3-D-42-C2-9442-DB7867-E52641.jpg

I think PRS goes way too far with so many choices of wood and colors for their tops.

There are so many variations of the same models, the only thing that sets them apart is structure of the wood. Do most buyers really get multiple versions of the same models based on the looks? In the end of the day they are just guitars, they are meant to be played, not admired for the nuances of the burst.

More solid options would be great, not everyone wants their guitar to look like grandma's furniture.

I think PRS goes way too far with so many choices of wood and colors for their tops.

There are so many variations of the same models, the only thing that sets them apart is structure of the wood. Do most buyers really get multiple versions of the same models based on the looks? In the end of the day they are just guitars, they are meant to be played, not admired for the nuances of the burst.

More solid options would be great, not everyone wants their guitar to look like grandma's furniture.

PRS wouldn’t be pumping them out if they weren’t selling. If someone wants to buy a PS and hang it on their wall and never play it isn’t my place to tell them that they’re doing it wrong.

Nah, that’s what makes them appealing. I mean, I have solid color PRS, but I have more that aren’t

Back