Windy City 2020 594Fest!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by MA Pete, Feb 16, 2020.

1. MA Pete

MA Pete 594 Addict

I had a Fryette PS2 in 2017 or so. It was probably the best thing I had tried to-date for that function, but I don't recall the "holy cow, this is a game-changer!" reaction like I have had with the Ox Box. It seemed to suck a bit of tone, for my ears at the time.

Right after I tried the PS2, I got the Metropolous Metroplex and Superplex, which have terrific Master Volumes, so I sold the PS2.

The Ox Box thing with the modeled speakers, cabs and mics into headphones is half of the Ox Box magic.

(Re the Metropoulos Amps, I am getting both "again" to complement the HXDA. George M is building me another Superplex (JTM45/100 voiced, KT66 tubes) and a DVL-1 (evolution of Metroplex, William Duvall Sig Amp, Hot-Rodded Plexi/Superlead) now. Even though they have a great MV, the Ox Box still will help get the best tones out of them, and enable the Headphone trick.)

RickP, WA Paul, g.wizz and 1 other person like this.
  2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I once had a power surge cause a Krell amplifier I was using to power my studio monitors to blow and go to DC, so when I turned it on, it blew out my B&W monitors’ woofers, literally turning them inside-out. Kablam! A $4000 amp and equally expensive monitors up in smoke! By some miracle, I was insured for this because I bought business interruption insurance and was in the middle of a project, so it was cheaper for them to pay for the gear than pay for my lost profit.

From then on, I powered my monitors with a surge-protected balanced AC converter with very heavy duty surge arrestors. It weighed over 100 pounds. They’ve since made smaller ones, like the ones I now have, that weigh only...um...75 pounds. ;)

All of my studio gear is connected to an Equi-Tech Son of Q balanced power converter and surge arrestor, and the amps are connected to a Furman PF1800 PF-R thing with heavy duty surge protectors, and some other cool features, like isolated AC outlets and a 45 amp power reservoir.

I’ve learned my lesson when it comes to this stuff. Never trust your AC power source without a condom...er...adequate protection.

RickP, bodia, Alnus Rubra and 3 others like this.
  3. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

Ouch! I used to have a set of B&W home stereo speakers, loved how they sounded.

LSchefman likes this.
  4. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Mine too right now.

bodia and LSchefman like this.
  5. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

Yea I get all this , I do industrial Audio and Video for a living ( 38 years ) and in this case I did just use my iPhone meter I have checked it against the real things we use at work for shows and speaker testing and its really close.
    Regardless it was quite loud , we were all within 20ft of any given cab and the room we were in did not have much of an off axis area, another note is Petes fav cab is an open back so there was plenty of reflection. It was loud enough that Pete was the smart one and started wearing plugs :)
    The loudest I have ever played ( and tested at work ) in a highly reflective room at 20 ft was a measured 106db ( peak ) sustained over 100db ( with ear protection ) 100 watt amp 2 cabs 1- 4x12 and one 2x12 just wanted to see at what point more level just turned into greater distortion and not greater volume.
    and in my playing around I found an open G chord to have roughly the same level as pink ( or white ) noise thru a guitar amp.

6. MA Pete

MA Pete 594 Addict

Interesting posts on the sound levels, Mike and Les!

We probably were playing a bit louder than we needed to / should have. That is easy to do, overdo it in a group setting where you are testing tones of guitars and amps.

I tried Mike’s “one click down” yesterday and today in the same room, and it was MUCH better! Still sounded great.

7. MA Pete

MA Pete 594 Addict

One important point I forgot to mention about the SC and DC Short Scale guitars, and how I connect that to my “identity”, on my post above. As my wife and I went through the many pics on the computer to select which ones to get printed and frame, while I love and adore the Singlecuts, when I see a picture of me playing a Singlecut at a gig, it just looks so WRONG to me! It makes me say to myself “wow, Singlecuts just don’t look good on me!”. That is interesting coming from a guy that loves playing them at home so much, and grew up worshipping the Singlecut-wielding rock stars.

I love them, to play them and own them, I just can’t look at a picture of me playing one. It is not “me”. The PRS Doublecut is “me”. When I see a picture of me playing a PRS Doublecut, it brings a smile to my face, all is right in the world!

So I purposely picked one picture of me gigging a Singlecut to hang on the wall to always remind me of that weird (and kind of cool) conundrum. :)

I am not playing out these days, but I am certain I will again in the not-too-distant future. And when I do, it will very likely be with a DC 594.

RickP, WA Paul, bodia and 4 others like this.
  8. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

YO!!! Just breezing through this event coverage, what a blast! With so much to choose from, I don't know how you could get it all in. Let me just say if you do this again, YOU MUST TAKE THE CARR MERCURY V THROUGH ITS PACES. It is one of the very best sounding amps I've ever played. PERIOD. The combo version sports a Creamback speaker, so if you have the chance, that's a wonderful sound.

RickP, WA Paul and bodia like this.
  9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I wasn’t aware you were an audio professional, I hope you’re not offended by my pedantic dissertation on checking SPLs. But it might be useful info for others, so I’ll keep the post up.

Based on what I see posted here, I’d venture a guess that I play louder than most home studio players.

I’m always trying to work out recording tones as well as practice the instrument, so I often play at volumes I record at, and allow the amps to open up for best tone. I’m not saying everyone needs to do this, of course. My excuse is that my recordings need to sound as good as they can, since I’m being paid to do a good job with the tone, but it’s also the way I like to play, anyway.

However, If I need to play longer than what’s safe at the levels I play, I either lower the volume, or wear Westone plugs I had made years and years ago, and of course, I record with headphones.

#69 LSchefman, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    RickP, Rider1260, bodia and 3 others like this.
  10. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

I still have mine!

Black Plaid, LSchefman and bodia like this.
  11. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

They’re found in lots of big time film scoring studios’ mix rooms, Abbey Road uses a set for surround work, and George Martin used a pair on the Focusrite console at his Air studio. Very high quality systems.

Unfortunately, mine were destroyed, and I was in the middle of a project. I couldn’t find another new set without a fairly long wait, same with the amp. The local pro audio shop had a set of Genelecs, so the problem was solved that way, and I used that set for quite a few years.

g.wizz, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  12. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

Never offended and your info is 100% correct and useful and explained better than I would have the patients to do !!!!!

13. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

So are you a Dr?

14. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I have found when my volume get to loud ( for me ) I tend to play timid and then I start to turn the guitar down. if I set the volume where I can just hear myself I play with more aggression and looser. If I am playing loud I just need to get out of the beam of the speaker.

LSchefman, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  15. tdarian

tdarian Searching for the sound

Sounds like a fun session guys!

LSchefman likes this.
  16. MA Pete

MA Pete 594 Addict

Agree, that Mercury V is an AMAZING little amp! We just didn't get a chance to go through it, we ran out of time, energy and brain/ear capacity.

If Bodia had stayed, he probably would have made sure we got to the Carr, as he had heard the combo I had a couple of years back, and was amazed with it. I returned the combo within the return period when I bought it, specifically because I wanted the head version to use with the Ox Box. It took me a while to get the head version, as I didn't make the priority to special order one, I just waited until one showed up at a dealer.

I am targeting using the Bogner Goldfinger Open Back 1x12 on the far left in the picture of the amp wall with the Carr. It is the very best 1x12 I have ever played through, for those vintage tones. (I tried several at the time, with multiple amps.) It has a V30 there now, which sounds pretty darn good, but I have a Greenback I was planning to put in there to match up with the Carr. Thanks for the reminder that Carr puts a Creamback in the Combo - I like those a lot too, I may consider that instead.

With regards to "With so much to choose from, I don't know how you could get it all in" - it was a lot, and a bit overwhelming! I had made a planning list of what I wanted to go through, and what I wanted feedback from the guys on. We got through about 80+% of the list, which was great! I learned a lot from it, and made some discoveries and decisions based on the session, which was very helpful!

The main decision I made from the session was to return the Bogner 50W Helios Head and Closed Back 2x12 - great amp and great closed back 2x12 (that cab sounds like a great 4x12!), but those just aren't for me at this time, they are more so optimized for the heavier rock tones. The Bogner head is quite capable of more vintage tones on the Plexi channel, but it lacks an EQ other than the 2 Bright Switch settings, and the HXDA combined with the Ox Box and the Open Back 2x12 just absolutely slays for the tones I seek with the 594s! And with a much wider variety of tones that are easy to dial in once you figure out what everything does. (Tim Pierce's review of his 50W and 100W HXDA heads a few years back was helpful in that regard.)

We will definitely do this again, we have more to go through, and will have more to go through when a couple of amps and cabs get added... :)

Specifically, I want to go through the DG 30 again with the matching DG 2x12 cab optimized for that head (have one coming) and once I figure out how to dial it in better, and also the Carr with the 1x12 Cab with an updated speaker, Greenback or Creamback as per above. And I have a couple other heads being built, and some thoughts about others. As you can see, as part of my 2020 594 adventure I am currently obsessed with amps, cabs (and effects, particularly Boost and OD pedals) to match up with these amazing 594s, for vintage rock and bluesy tones!

Also, I think next time it might be cool to balance the 594 focus with some more time on the "sparklier" PRS tones, from the Special Semi-Hollow (Mike's, cool guitar), Silver Sky (maybe a Maple-boarded one by then?) and Bodia's 509.

Next time we will try to check the testosterone at the door and play at safer noise levels, as discussed here. ;)

Thanks, Tom! It was pretty terrific...

LSchefman, g.wizz, RickP and 4 others like this.
  17. BrianC

BrianC more toys than talent

OK so here is my 2 cents from our recent get together at Mr Pete's.

First off it is great to get together with such fine people. We all have so much gear that there was an unbelievable amount there and EVEN more that was left at home.
    Let me say I am NOT in the 594 camp as there are many features that I lean in a different way. I am a 24 fret guy for ease of access, I like a trem, I do not like four knobs and I like a regular neck profile.

With that said, the new 594's are fabulous!

I DO love -
    • the nitro - it looks so cool and vintagey. It really brings the top and back to a new level.
    • the TCI pups - I heard many guitars and they all sounded great AND consistent.
    • the tuners - I like the look of the tulips though the Phase III's are the bomb.
    I look forward to many of these advancements finding their way to my CU24's!

The Ox Box was the hit of the day allowing lower gain amps to be dialed up for tone and playability without killing us. The HXDA is a different animal with the Ox. Of Pete's amps it was by far my fav. We ran out of time and I did not get to show him the amazing tone of my Friedman amps. Maybe a good thing as Pete would have had to sell everything and get on the Friedman train. My JJ Jr is by far the best sounding amp for the money.

The reality was that there really was NO bad choice. Any PRS guitar that was there could be an axe anybody would be happy with. We were splitting hairs and sniffing corks in the most fun way. Why not? Why not find the best guitar and keep making it better and better? Thats why we love the brand (and sometimes hate it when they improve something we had bought in the past).

I have 4 core PRS and 1 SE. I have had maybe 14 or so along the way and have found where my home is with the CU24. Its so great that there are so many choices for everybody. I have also had a few amps and love my 2X12 stealth cab which is still in my arsenal. The 4X12 PRS cab is one of the best I've heard (it should for how much it weighs)

LSchefman, pac90, g.wizz and 4 others like this.
  18. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Navin R. Johnson

(Sigh...) and an MDT too, right? Because once you turn them up once, you're never the same.

LSchefman and bodia like this.
  19. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

'zactly!

LSchefman and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  20. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Navin R. Johnson

Holy crap!!!! I thought the HX/DA and MDT sounded awesome. And Paul was right even a few years later... you never heard much about the Blistertone. But holy crap did that sound great!!!

LSchefman, RickP and bodia like this.