Windy City 2020 594Fest!

Agree, that Mercury V is an AMAZING little amp! We just didn't get a chance to go through it, we ran out of time, energy and brain/ear capacity.

If Bodia had stayed, he probably would have made sure we got to the Carr, as he had heard the combo I had a couple of years back, and was amazed with it. I returned the combo within the return period when I bought it, specifically because I wanted the head version to use with the Ox Box. It took me a while to get the head version, as I didn't make the priority to special order one, I just waited until one showed up at a dealer.

I am targeting using the Bogner Goldfinger Open Back 1x12 on the far left in the picture of the amp wall with the Carr. It is the very best 1x12 I have ever played through, for those vintage tones. (I tried several at the time, with multiple amps.) It has a V30 there now, which sounds pretty darn good, but I have a Greenback I was planning to put in there to match up with the Carr. Thanks for the reminder that Carr puts a Creamback in the Combo - I like those a lot too, I may consider that instead.

With regards to "With so much to choose from, I don't know how you could get it all in" - it was a lot, and a bit overwhelming! I had made a planning list of what I wanted to go through, and what I wanted feedback from the guys on. We got through about 80+% of the list, which was great! I learned a lot from it, and made some discoveries and decisions based on the session, which was very helpful!

The main decision I made from the session was to return the Bogner 50W Helios Head and Closed Back 2x12 - great amp and great closed back 2x12 (that cab sounds like a great 4x12!), but those just aren't for me at this time, they are more so optimized for the heavier rock tones. The Bogner head is quite capable of more vintage tones on the Plexi channel, but it lacks an EQ other than the 2 Bright Switch settings, and the HXDA combined with the Ox Box and the Open Back 2x12 just absolutely slays for the tones I seek with the 594s! And with a much wider variety of tones that are easy to dial in once you figure out what everything does. (Tim Pierce's review of his 50W and 100W HXDA heads a few years back was helpful in that regard.)

We will definitely do this again, we have more to go through, and will have more to go through when a couple of amps and cabs get added... :)

Specifically, I want to go through the DG 30 again with the matching DG 2x12 cab optimized for that head (have one coming) and once I figure out how to dial it in better, and also the Carr with the 1x12 Cab with an updated speaker, Greenback or Creamback as per above. And I have a couple other heads being built, and some thoughts about others. As you can see, as part of my 2020 594 adventure I am currently obsessed with amps, cabs (and effects, particularly Boost and OD pedals) to match up with these amazing 594s, for vintage rock and bluesy tones!

Also, I think next time it might be cool to balance the 594 focus with some more time on the "sparklier" PRS tones, from the Special Semi-Hollow (Mike's, cool guitar), Silver Sky (maybe a Maple-boarded one by then?) and Bodia's 509.

Next time we will try to check the testosterone at the door and play at safer noise levels, as discussed here. ;)

Thanks, Tom! It was pretty terrific...

I am very interested in your Metropoulos amps, as well. I am 2 mm from ordering a DVL-1. Might have to check on the HXDA, too. I've got an Ox already. It's awesome.

OK so here is my 2 cents from our recent get together at Mr Pete's.

First off it is great to get together with such fine people. We all have so much gear that there was an unbelievable amount there and EVEN more that was left at home.
Let me say I am NOT in the 594 camp as there are many features that I lean in a different way. I am a 24 fret guy for ease of access, I like a trem, I do not like four knobs and I like a regular neck profile.

With that said, the new 594's are fabulous!

I DO love -
  • the nitro - it looks so cool and vintagey. It really brings the top and back to a new level.
  • the TCI pups - I heard many guitars and they all sounded great AND consistent.
  • the tuners - I like the look of the tulips though the Phase III's are the bomb.
I look forward to many of these advancements finding their way to my CU24's!

The Ox Box was the hit of the day allowing lower gain amps to be dialed up for tone and playability without killing us. The HXDA is a different animal with the Ox. Of Pete's amps it was by far my fav. We ran out of time and I did not get to show him the amazing tone of my Friedman amps. Maybe a good thing as Pete would have had to sell everything and get on the Friedman train. My JJ Jr is by far the best sounding amp for the money.

The reality was that there really was NO bad choice. Any PRS guitar that was there could be an axe anybody would be happy with. We were splitting hairs and sniffing corks in the most fun way. Why not? Why not find the best guitar and keep making it better and better? Thats why we love the brand (and sometimes hate it when they improve something we had bought in the past).

I have 4 core PRS and 1 SE. I have had maybe 14 or so along the way and have found where my home is with the CU24. Its so great that there are so many choices for everybody. I have also had a few amps and love my 2X12 stealth cab which is still in my arsenal. The 4X12 PRS cab is one of the best I've heard (it should for how much it weighs)

Thanks for the comments, Brian, and for joining in for the fun!

And yes, that JJ Jr is definitely on the list for next time! Like the Carr, I wanted to get to it but we ran out of energy and focus. I am impressed by the report of how much both you and yankeebulldog like that one. I look forward to checking that out.

I am very interested in your Metropoulos amps, as well. I am 2 mm from ordering a DVL-1. Might have to check on the HXDA, too. I've got an Ox already. It's awesome.

Sounds like we have some similar tastes in amps, which is cool! Maybe the Metropoulos amps will make it in the next get-together report... ;)

Sounds like we have some similar tastes in amps, which is cool! Maybe the Metropoulos amps will make it in the next get-together report... ;)
I've been building some Marshall clones for the experience and really have started to understand how these things (basically) work. It's fascinating how much it takes to arrive at a smooth, strong, articulate and balanced sounding circuit. I dove into my own stash last night and pulled out a Dr. Z Remedy I had built a couple years ago--a 6V6 Plexi with MV. It sounds so damn good! I love the 6V6 tube, that's why I love the Mercury V so much. it's so versatile. I'm finishing up a 2204 channel and will build a 2550X clone next. I'm on the hunt, baby!

Speaking of which (as if we needed more amps to drool over. Of course, WE DO), if you haven't seen it yet, check out the new Friedman Wildwood 20 version of the Pink Taco just released at NAMM. Absolutely sick. I already bought one.

Last edited:
Next time we will try to check the testosterone at the door and play at safer noise levels, as discussed here. ;)

No testosterone? Uh-oh...

[Harp Glissando SFX]

“So how does the HXDA sound, guys?”

“I thought it sounded pretty good on the Barry Manilow stuff, Pete.”

“Really? I thought it might be too heavy for ‘Copacabana’, but as long as everyone liked it...”

“I’ll let you know after we get to the Celine Dion songs. Hey, would it be OK to turn down the amps to 60 dB? I don’t want to be too distracted from the Home Shopping Network while we play. It’s on in the background.”

“Sure, go ahead. Anyone need a refill on their Appletini?”

No testosterone? Uh-oh...

[Harp Glissando SFX]

“So how does the HXDA sound, guys?”

“I thought it sounded pretty good on the Barry Manilow stuff, Pete.”

“Really? I thought it might be too heavy for ‘Copacabana’, but as long as everyone liked it...”

“I’ll let you know after we get to the Celine Dion songs. Hey, would it be OK to turn down the amps to 60 dB? I don’t want to be too distracted from the Home Shopping Network while we play. It’s on in the background.”

“Sure, go ahead. Anyone need a refill on their Appletini?”

You know all of this too well Les! :p

Last nights rehearsal was full of testosterone!

I love a bunch of fantastic guitars as much as any of you knuckleheads, but a gaggle of cool amps blows a warm breeze up my kilt! The JJ has been on my realistic radar since it’s inception, so feel compelled to elaborate on its abilities.

I love a bunch of fantastic guitars as much as any of you knuckleheads, but a gaggle of cool amps blows a warm breeze up my kilt! The JJ has been on my realistic radar since it’s inception, so feel compelled to elaborate on its abilities.

I have had the amp now for a few months and am totally happy with it. It has the tone of a $3,500.00 Friedman at a third the price. Clean BE and JBE tones. Light weight for an all tube killer. Can knock a house down if needed. I use it for all my gigs now.

I have had the amp now for a few months and am totally happy with it. It has the tone of a $3,500.00 Friedman at a third the price. Clean BE and JBE tones. Light weight for an all tube killer. Can knock a house down if needed. I use it for all my gigs now.
I‘m sorry to hear you like it so much. :D Truth be known, I use BE profiles exclusively in my current band project and told myself, if we start gigging regularly, I’d justify getting a JJ. Playing it would throw me over the edge. *sigh* This GAS thing never ends!

I have found when my volume get to loud ( for me ) I tend to play timid

I do the same thing. When the amp gets loud, I play soft, afraid to let it rip. Don't know why...

Do you have a JJ Jr?

She’s got the biggest balls of all of us, no way am I going to pick a fight with her!
Good for you. You brought her up right! ;)

Amps! Aaaaaaaaah!! I’m with you. Love the damn things. Makes me happy to walk into a room with amps in it. I don’t know why, and certainly can’t explain it.

As we all know, you can play a variety of guitars, but the amps affect the outcome even more. Not saying the guitars don’t count, because of course they do, but amps...mmmmm/

However, I’ll talk you out of a JJ (or at least try). You have a very nice modeler and it works for you. You’re OK. Take a deep breath. Breathe into this paper bag. That’s it.

Feel a little less GAS now?

YO!!! Just breezing through this event coverage, what a blast! With so much to choose from, I don't know how you could get it all in. Let me just say if you do this again, YOU MUST TAKE THE CARR MERCURY V THROUGH ITS PACES. It is one of the very best sounding amps I've ever played. PERIOD. The combo version sports a Creamback speaker, so if you have the chance, that's a wonderful sound.

I checked out the Carr again this week. I used to have it matched up with the 1x12. But now after the get-together, I have come to appreciate the superior sound in the larger room we did the 594Fest in, especially with the Open Back Cabs (which is all I have left after returning the Closed Back Bogner Oversized 2x12).

This time around I matched the Carr up with the Open Back 2x12 in the larger room, and the result was AMAZING! Great amp. Driven to the higher gain side of that amp, very similar to the HXDA, I love them both!

It also seems to sound better with the Attenuator wide open on the amp and running through the Ox Box. (Oh that magical Ox Box!) :)

Amps! Aaaaaaaaah!! I’m with you. Love the damn things. Makes me happy to walk into a room with amps in it. I don’t know why, and certainly can’t explain it.

As we all know, you can play a variety of guitars, but the amps affect the outcome even more. Not saying the guitars don’t count, because of course they do, but amps...mmmmm/

Les, I have so much amp GAS right now, more than ever before. I think it is a combination of a couple of things. (1) The 2020 594s are so terrific, that I have the best collection of guitars (for me) that I have ever had. Time to match that up with the very best amp collection I have ever had to match up to these great guitars and complete the tone formula! (2) Figuring out the Ox Box and how powerful it is to open up the possibility any amp regardless of how loud it is and how much you have to crank the amp to get into the sweet spot of tone, while being able to tame that to a reasonable volume (and through headphones late at night) - any amp is now on the table.

I am pretty stoked about the existing collection now, and somehow seem to now have 3 amps on order, and GAS for more.

After I get through the next stages of the amp adventure, there is another thought on the horizon to compare to the HXDA, the DG 30 and the others - a Vintage Plexi?... :)

After I get through the next stages of the amp adventure, there is another thought on the horizon to compare to the HXDA, the DG 30 and the others - a Vintage Plexi?... :)

You’re a wild man, Pete! Vintage amps are their own thing. I have a craving for the crushed glass texture of a ‘63-65 AC30. But I’ve held that at bay.

I like new amps that do old amp things; old parts gonna fail. It’s bad enough my own parts are screwing up! I’m not dealing with other old, fragile things. ;)

As a result, I’m thinking Matchless C30 at some point.

I checked out the Carr again this week. I used to have it matched up with the 1x12. But now after the get-together, I have come to appreciate the superior sound in the larger room we did the 594Fest in, especially with the Open Back Cabs (which is all I have left after returning the Closed Back Bogner Oversized 2x12).

This time around I matched the Carr up with the Open Back 2x12 in the larger room, and the result was AMAZING! Great amp. Driven to the higher gain side of that amp, very similar to the HXDA, I love them both!

It also seems to sound better with the Attenuator wide open on the amp and running through the Ox Box. (Oh that magical Ox Box!) :)

Les, I have so much amp GAS right now, more than ever before. I think it is a combination of a couple of things. (1) The 2020 594s are so terrific, that I have the best collection of guitars (for me) that I have ever had. Time to match that up with the very best amp collection I have ever had to match up to these great guitars and complete the tone formula! (2) Figuring out the Ox Box and how powerful it is to open up the possibility any amp regardless of how loud it is and how much you have to crank the amp to get into the sweet spot of tone, while being able to tame that to a reasonable volume (and through headphones late at night) - any amp is now on the table.

I am pretty stoked about the existing collection now, and somehow seem to now have 3 amps on order, and GAS for more.

Sweet. I'm an open-back cab guy, myself. I have a Bogner 212 that I'm going to back-mod, maybe make it 3-panel to keep my options open ( removable middle baffle).

However, I’ll talk you out of a JJ (or at least try). You have a very nice modeler and it works for you. You’re OK. Take a deep breath. Breathe into this paper bag. That’s it.

Feel a little less GAS now?
Umm, I have a profiler and it works very well for me, you are correct. A JJ jr. would be silly at the moment. Let’s see how the vocalist audition goes tomorrow. Heck, those gigs could be right around the corner.

Back