Windy City 2020 594Fest!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by MA Pete, Feb 16, 2020.

1. MA Pete

MA Pete SC 594 Addict

More on the amps...

While I was overwhelmingly pleased with my reaction and the reaction of the group with the HXDA, the Open Back 2x12 and the sound in the room, I was a little disappointed in the reaction to the DG 30. It was kind of a "meh" reaction from the group. I love that amp as well, so I was a little bummed about that.

BUT - I think I figured that out. In checking it out again today, I think I didn't have that dialed in just right. That amp is really finicky with regards to the settings, that is an amp which many folks try out, don't love it, and sell it. Especially without an Ox Box or something like that to really hone in the optimum settings, which is having the MV pretty high. When dialed in properly, the DG 30 can be amazing IMO. I dialed it back in today and was getting some great tones out of it. In the heat of the moment yesterday with everything else going on, I didn't think to go to the amp and work to dial it in, I thought I had left it in the sweet spot I had it in previously. It sounded REALLY good today with the 594s!

The HXDA is still my favorite, but the DG 30 is a close second, and what it is to me is a nice complement to the HXDA, it is nice to have both (as Les says!).

I remember David Grissom or Doug Sewell saying something like "with the DG Custom we were trying to get the growl of the Marshall, the Chime of the Vox, and the sparkle of the Fender, in one amp". I agree with that. I think the way I dial it in it is mostly Marshall, with a taste of Vox and Fender, which find to be a great thing, and again a refreshing alternative to the HXDA, which is straight down the middle the best hot-rodded Marshall sound you could ever ask for.

The other cool surprise was that we sort of discovered on the fly that the Plexi channels of both the Friedman and the Helios were pretty amazing cranked up and tamed by the Ox Box. I have heard both before not through an Ox Box, they sound awesome dimed but are punishingly loud, as loud as the real thing, a 100W Classic Marshall Plexi, like Kingsley's awesome example I mentioned before. But through the Ox Box they were manageable and sounded killer. I think I liked the Friedman Plexi tone a little better. That was fun, to discover that!

We also concluded that the dirty channel on the Bogner couldn't hold a candle to the HXDA, which surprised me as the Helios has always been one of my top 5 Marshall voiced amps. (We preferred the Plexi "Clean" Channel cranked, which got pretty overdriven, over the Lead Channel, on the Helios.) That just goes to show you how great the HXDA tone is, cranked through the Ox Box! ;)

That was pretty much it on the amps, the Two Rock was great for the cleans and as a pedal platform, and we didn't even get a chance to plug in the Carr Mercury V.

WA Paul, g.wizz, RickP and 5 others like this.
  2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Start recording those best-ever tones?

There’s a whole world of joy in that, not the least of which is how much fun a whole new kind of tone gear can be! :)

3. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

joy, and pain.

4. MA Pete

MA Pete SC 594 Addict

Okay, I am winding down, got a lot of my thoughts out! ;)

One more topic, and this one is a little more "deep". I have gone back and forth between the Doublecuts and the Singlecut being my favorite 594s.

For the 245s from 2009 to 2015, it was mostly the DCs. I dabbled in the SCs and dug them, the DC 245 was "my" model. One thing that was interesting way back then was that from a production Core perspective, the 2009 Ted McCarty was a limited run, SC's and DC's, Humbuckers and Soapbars. They would have died right there (except for Private Stock), had Eric at Willcutt Guitar not kept them alive with 3 terrific WL runs that spanned over 3-4 years! So it was "my" model, but not even really a model at all.

The McCarty Singlecuts (also 245s, but thicker and no belly carve, and with the two piece bridge) were so great sounding, that started to pull me towards the SC. Plus, I wasn't playing out as much anymore when those came out, so the significant ergonomic benefit (IMO) of the DC didn't matter as much to me in that moment.

When the Feb 2016 DC 594 came out, I was smitten. Before I got my GOM in, I was at PRS and played Paul's Charcoal Burst prototype. It was perfect! I ordered a PS DC 594 on the spot and got my Feb GOM at home that same week.

[​IMG]

And then in October of 2016 I got the Holy Grail guitar, the Prototype SC 594, and I swung hard to the SC, and stayed there until this week. I think I figured out what was going on for me.

This is where it gets "deep". It has to do with identity and how we, or at least I, connect with the guitars and the guitar adventures.

So in preparation for the 594Fest, I talked to my wife about putting pictures up of the band adventure in the Guitar / Office area. I think I mentioned my wife was awesome and very supportive of the guitar stuff! ;) We went through the years of Band photos together, and she helped me pick the best photos to frame and put up. From there, she did everything, she bought frames and got everything printed out on photo paper, framed them and hung them. (Like I said, she is AWESOME!) She did a great job.

Let me take you through the photos and then I will connect it back to the SC versus DC thing. (Spoiler alert - of course the answer is BOTH!)

[​IMG]

Starting in the upper left and going clockwise:
    • My family with me at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame gig from 2012. (That little guy is now taller than me and outweighs me by 20 pounds.)
    • At a gig in Boston with my beloved Glacier Blue Willcutt Wood Library DC 245 Ted, later sold to "aristole" here. I dug that one!
    • The band at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with Jeff Carlisi (Lead Guitarist from 38 Special) and Liberty DeVitto (former Billy Joel Drummer), they were on the judge panel for the Battle of the Corporate Bands thing we were in. Both fun guys to hang out with!
    • On stage at that same event, that was a Brent/The Guitar Shop Obeche backed Custom 24 with a WF neck, sub 6 pounds and sounded great. I was dealing with a bad back at the time, so that light guitar was great for that year of gigging. (Mike was jealous of that guitar, he really wants a Custom 24 with a Wide Fat Neck!)

[​IMG]

Starting in the upper left and going clockwise again:
    • Me, Paul and Eric from Willcutt Guitars, at one of my many visits to spec a Private Stock.
    • Me and the band with a rare appearance of gigging with a Singlecut, in Las Vegas. (Which is the primary point of going through the pictures, re the Singlecut.)
    • With the Band at the same gig in Boston from the above photo, with the Glacier Blue DC Ted. (Don't worry, I wasn't putting as much downward pressure on that headstock as it looks like I was!)
    • With my Aquamarine Private Stock DC 245 Signature/408 guitar, at a Gig in San Francisco. That was my main gigging guitar for quite a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Howard and I when we met up in Chicago before a Paul Rodgers Band gig, trying to convince me to trade him that Purple SC Ted. I declined, but we had a killer time! (BrianC took that picture.)
    • My wife and I a couple of years later at a Bad Company concert. Howard was off to the side, the pics were just with the original members of Bad Co, but Howard was kind enough to wait in line with my wife and I and chat with us until it was our turn to get pictures taken with the band, and he introduced us to Paul, Mick and Niles as his friends. What a gracious guy Howard is!!

Anyway, back to the point of all this. In searching through all the pics and try to get a good mix of the guitars I gigged with over the years (they were many more, 2 DGTs, a Shootout McCarty, an Eriza Verde Sig 408, and LOTS of DC Teds - but almost always Doublecuts with just a couple of exceptions), I came to a realization about my connection to the DC and SC and how I need both in my life, and how the connection is different.

So no matter how old you get, there is always that younger you inside you, part of your identity, that is frozen in time at that age you were then. There is a grown up part of my identity that plays guitar and is attempting to be a musician in a band (sometimes I pull it off, just barely). That guy is the Doublecut guy. The Doublecut is me, that is my guitar - no question whatsoever. Particularly the Short Scale ones, the DC 245 and now the DC 594. When one is in my hands, I am complete. I don't even need to play it. It just needs to be in my hands.

There is another guy in there, hidden deep inside. That guy is the teenager that spent hours, days, weeks listening in amazement to Led Zeppelin, and worshipping Jimmy Page and that low-slung Singlecut. And at 18 or 19 that same guy picked up a guitar and started learning every Zeppelin riff and song possible. (I couldn't afford a Les Paul, though!) When the grown up me gets a great SC version of that DC short scale guitar in my hands, that much younger part of my identity gets pulled out, and THAT guy wants the SC over the DC all day long! As I said before, that guy feels like Thor picking up Mjölnir.

I honestly didn't realize all this until this week.

SC or DC? Both, please! (But really I am just a Doublecut guy.)

Thank you PRS, for giving me both! :)

(I warned you that it was deep!)

5. MA Pete

MA Pete SC 594 Addict

Yes! Actually that is one of my two main objectives for 2020, (1) learn and practice more versus chasing tone and buying and trying new gear, and (2) start recording stuff.

Considering I have had an EPIC six weeks chasing tone and restocking my collection to start off 2020, I think I can move on to my primary objectives now. ;)

bodia, g.wizz and LSchefman like this.
  6. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

It’s a different kind of amp, to be sure, and it does take a little time to learn how to set it up for various things.

But as you’ve discovered, the rewards are well worth it.

One thing to keep in mind: Most folks relate more to an amp like an HXDA or other Marshall style amp simply because they’ve heard an awful lot of records where one was used, and the tones are truly familiar to everyone.

The DG isn’t as familiar. It has its own thing going on that’s a lot less well-known to most players. It’s only natural that they’re going to relate less strongly to it in the short run. But that’s more about other folks’ tastes than what you hear that you like, and can develop even further as you become even more familiar with it.

I also feel it’s the best pedal platform I’ve ever owned, and not just with a boost. A great overdrive on a low setting kills.

I will say this, also - every time I post a clip of my DG30, people say they love the tone. It’s true they might just be blowing smoke up my butt to make me feel good, and I’m certain there’s something about people here being too kind when I post stuff, but I also hear tone compliments from my very, very picky ad clients, who are paying actual US dollars for the tracks. ;)

7. FJ4

FJ4 New Member

G
    Great Post Pete!!

MA Pete, LSchefman and Black Plaid like this.
  8. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Consider me a resource you can call on when you want recording info.

The other bit I want to impart is that creating good melody lines is more important than blazing fast licks. Nice to have blazing chops if you can, but people love to hear a good melodic part even in the hippest rock and roll. I’ve made a living writing melodic guitar lines, yet I don’t have the speed stuff.

It can make musical life a lot easier knowing that a strong, legato melody line is the message, and the filigrees and dazzling stuff are nice, but secondary to the main idea.

9. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

Wow I love this thread for so many reasons!
    1) The Eye Candy
    2) The Eye Candy
    3) The Eye Candy

Did I leave anything else out? Oh yes the sheer amount of eye candy...

10. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

Thanks Pete !!!
    Great Day lots of great guitars and amps. ( HXDA and the Two Rock were my Fav )
    My few takeaways
    90+db is really loud for me and it sounded glorious, but at the very end of the day I dropped the OX box down one more notch and that was more my feel.
    It we were not sitting right in front of the speakers it would be better and from the listening positions it was loud but even better sounding.

Even tho all my amps have great master volumes it would be interesting to hear the difference with an Ox.

I want to try a 594 with 11s - most of the guys at this jam are 9s guys and there were some 8.5s and 8s thrown in, so playing it tune was tough ( or at least to my ear ) I want to try some big meaty strings on a 594 possibly tuned down 1/2 with the HXDA ( and earplugs )

DGT - To me they sound so similar that it could come down to string gauge and a slight pickup height difference.

594s - Until this event I was underwhelmed with the 594, The prototype is a SPECIAL instrument and there was a very vintage looking double cut that spoke to me unlike any short scale guitar I can remember. ( might have to try and own this one )

We played around with some boost pedals that got my attention.

and last someday I will play 100% at one of these , I come home and have some of my best days playing just need to bring it in front of other folks.

bodia, LSchefman, Alnus Rubra and 8 others like this.
  11. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump Mint Heavy Relic

My my, MA Pete, you DO throw a party!

dsenoj, bodia, LSchefman and 4 others like this.
  12. WA Paul

WA Paul All dogs go to heaven

This thread is an epic read! Thanks for taking the time for the deep dive posting of your party!

Dang, I need you try try a short scale SCT with Braz neck and 59/09s - for science of course! I’m a big fan of empirical research :)

I really miss my HXDA....and curious how different my Fryette PS2 was from the Ox Box.

RickP, MA Pete, LSchefman and 2 others like this.
  13. g.wizz

g.wizz Nabs

What a thread Pete, you took us back through your journey years with those pictures and made us envy again but happy to see all this eye candy
    and here your comments about asserting your love for both 594 models and the joy you get playing them, great people playing great gear, what a fest!
    Thank you Pete.

14. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

It’s hard to pick a number that’s meaningful without including other factors.

The most useful way to measure musical sound pressure level requires pink noise testing with a C-weighted meter on a slow response setting, at the listening position. Pink noise is all frequencies at once. You’re not getting pink noise from a guitar speaker, of course.

But here’s a key thing: What you actually hear in terms of SPL is relative to distance, and what’s comfortable varies with room reflections.

Every doubling of distance results in a 6 dB drop in SPL. In addition, the SPL rises and falls as you play, and the amount of reflections, absorption, etc., at various frequencies greatly affects what constitutes a comfortable level, especially how high frequency transients are perceived.

So in my room, with acoustical absorption on the walls, and heavily padded carpeting, with my amps about 15-20 feet from my workstation position, an SPL of 90-100 db at a distance of, say, 5 feet from the amp often reaches my ears at an SPL of 78 - 88 dB, and the high frequencies aren’t at all bothersome. In a more reflective room, even at the same distance, I might attenuate high frequencies more. Etc.

The point is that you can’t pick a number unless you also include a distance, and whether you’re on or off-axis matters, too, for comfort. And since the room’s high frequency absorption affects comfort, that also must be factored in.

This is why speaker manufacturers quote SPL at a distance of X meters, with a set amount of power (i.e., 100 dB with one watt at one meter).

#54 LSchefman, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  15. MA Pete

MA Pete SC 594 Addict

I agree that one click down from the level we were listening at is a good level for playing. When I sit closer to the amp than we were sitting, that is the volume I am usually playing at.

We'll get together soon so you can check out the Ox Box with your amps.

Glad to hear we are finally turning you on to the 594s!! ;)

Thanks again for coming! That was a BLAST, and you added a lot of value.

RickP, LSchefman and bodia like this.
  16. Zack Matzanias

Zack Matzanias New Member

The DC 594 is my favorite guitar.

17. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

guy in the wood vault sure looks happy.

pac90, LSchefman and MA Pete like this.
  18. Dirty_Boogie

Dirty_Boogie Still got the ol' tagger on it

I'm always reluctant to plug straight into the wall, but some like living on the edge, I guess... :D:D

Black Plaid and MA Pete like this.
  19. MA Pete

MA Pete SC 594 Addict

Ha! That does sort of look like at a glance that the Strat is plugged into the wall. ;)

That is of course a Power Strip. Also, in addition I have a "whole house" surge protector for redundancy. I have had lightning strike damage before, that is no fun.

I also unplug my guitar gear Power Strips when I am not going to use them for a while. You can't be too careful with expensive guitar gear!! :)

g.wizz, bodia, alantig and 1 other person like this.
  20. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Can’t recommend the whole house surge protection highly enough. We had a wiring incident a few years ago that resulted in having to get a new entrance and service panel installed (which finally got this house off fuses!). We got a whole house surge protector installed at that time - sits right in the breaker box. A few months later, during a storm, I heard a loud crash that sounded like something broke in the bedroom. Turned out it was a lightning strike nearby. Most of the houses here took a surge - the surge protector stopped it in its tracks. I don’t think we had anything damaged except the protector. Replaced the protector for under $200. Much cheaper than appliances, computers, and amplifiers!!!

RickP, g.wizz, LSchefman and 4 others like this.