Willcutt Guitars

I know lots of folks love them, and I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't have a good experience. I had called to see if they had a specific Dr. Z speaker cabinet in stock. They said they did, and I told them I was getting in the car right then to come pick it up, and would be there in an hour and a half. I got there at the appointed time, and was greeted by a long haired dude slurping a cup of Wendy's chili, who told me to come back in an hour or two, because there was already one person in the boutique room. I explained I had driven an hour and a half, and only wanted to pick up a cabinet. He just slurped his chili again and shrugged his shoulders, without another word. So I got back in my car and drove home.

I posted this experience on BaM, and Brandon sent me a message apologizing for Eric blowing me off. I know I'm not some guitar god, and don't deserve special treatment. But I do spend quite a bit of cash supporting my hobby. I sure didn't feel like Wilcutt wanted my business, so I simply buy from other businesses that do.

I hope it works out for you!

Last edited:
You should've gotten his name and plastered it all over the 'net. If I owned that store and he gave a customer the "Slurp-n-Shrug", I would've fired him and wouldn't have given a rat's ass if he had bills or a family!

Two Thumbs Up for Willcutt! I'd give more but I only have two!

I just got a lovely 2015 30th Anniversary Model Wood Library Custom 24 Semi-Hollow from Brandon at Wilcutt Guitars. Overall a wonderful transaction, but there was some footwork involved.
Brandon is Willcutt's internet guy. He is probably one of the busiest online guitar guys there is. I used their "Contact us" link, offering to trade a 2011 PRS Studio for one of their guitars, and a week later, hadn't
gotten a reply. I phoned Willcutt Guitar Shop and was told that Brandon was their internet sales guy and I left him a voicemail. I also emailed him. I got a call back from him (as well as an email) apologizing,
telling me that they are inundated by internet trade offers daily, and I might have fallen through the cracks. He asked me to send detailed photos of my guitar, which I did that night.
A few days went by, and I sent another email, subject line saying "I'd REALLY like to buy a Guitar!" I got a reply stating what they would offer in trade for my Studio and what the balance due for the guitar I wanted would be.

I shipped the trade guitar out on 2/15/2016, and received my new one on 2/23/2016.

I received the guitar this past Tuesday, and when I opened the case, I was blown away by the presentation. The first thing I noticed was the Willcutt polishing cloth, then a certificate
stating that Bob Willcutt "thoroughly setup and inspected the instrument and that it met his strict requirements for maximum playability".

I'm at my self imposed maximum allowance of 4 electric guitars:

2009 PRS 1980 West Street in Natural Mahogany (Used from Lighthouse Music)
2015 Hollowbody II Artist Package in Livingston Lemondrop with BRW fretboard (special order from Jeff Grant/Guitar Center in Denver)
2015 Custom 24 10-Top in Blood Orange. (Direct from PRS)
2015 30th Anniversary Wood Library Custom 24 Semi-Hollow in Faded Yellow with BRW fretboard (Willcutt Guitar Shop, Lexington, KY)

I love what I have, but if there's another guitar in my future, it will likely be a Willcutt guitar.

Regards,
Brian

And if you need a local touch, Wilcutt is about 20 minutes away for me. I didn't buy my PRS there, but, they didn't have the specific one I wanted.

I did however pick out several before I bought mine, and all were from there.

Last edited:
Best to call them. I've emailed them on a few occasions and got crickets.

Back