Wildwood Guitars & PRS?

P90s

They seem to be carrying FAR fewer PRS guitars than in the past. Is there a back story?

Not as far as I know...they just weren't moving many PRS in relation to the Gibson and Fender stuff they sell....so my guess is that they went with what was selling.

I was wondering that too. Sometimes I almost think PRS would be better served building a world-class retail division, and just sell everything themselves.

Sweetwater does seem to do a pretty good business with PRS, nice overall selection it seems.

I was wondering that too. Sometimes I almost think PRS would be better served building a world-class retail division, and just sell everything themselves.

Sweetwater does seem to do a pretty good business with PRS, nice overall selection it seems.

I've always been a proponent of PRS going the Carvin route and doing direct sales. At some point, its going to be a necessity to survive. $3500 is a lot for a guitar. The money just isn't out there anymore. PRS could probably take 40% off its prices if they went direct. That is huge. When you see the amount of NOS, some as much as 10 years old sitting in dealer stock, you can see that PRS Core is closer to extinction than thriving. Sure, before the internet, you needed dealers. Now, you really don't. Don't let this forum fool you. You'd think that with all the NGDs around here, that PRS is making bank. Not so. My local dealer in Palm Coast FL can't move PRS to save his life. He has had a Solana 10 top stripped 58 sitting on his wall for 2 years without a hope of selling. Total Entertainment in Daytona Beach doesn't keep nearly the stock they did even a year ago.

Last edited:
I've always been a proponent of PRS going the Carvin route and doing direct sales. At some point, its going to be a necessity to survive. $3500 is a lot for a guitar. The money just isn't out there anymore. PRS could probably take 40% off its prices if they went direct. That is huge. When you see the amount of NOS, some as much as 10 years old sitting in dealer stock, you can see that PRS Core is closer to extinction than thriving. Sure, before the internet, you needed dealers. Now, you really don't. Don't let this forum fool you. You'd think that with all the NGDs around here, that PRS is making bank. Not so. My local dealer in Palm Coast FL can't move PRS to save his life. He has had a Solana 10 top stripped 58 sitting on his wall for 2 years without a hope of selling. Total Entertainment in Daytona Beach doesn't keep nearly the stock they did even a year ago.

I agree. I tried to get my local dealer to look at PRS. Too much stock they have to buy at once, and I think minimum sales of $100k/year. Same issue they had with Gibson too, so they aren't selling them either. Just Fender for new guitars, and their subsidiaries, plus Taylor and Martin for acoustics (which is more of their business anyway, but I digress).

Plus when you consider a place like GC that as good a chance of messing up a high end new guitar as they do selling it, that can actually deter customers. I would buy a Core in a heartbeat if it was less, pretty much the only thing stopping me from buying one. Cut out the middleman, sell direct, and I'm there.

It's a shame how expensive getting your hands on an American made guitar can be. Twill be interesting to watch what the future holds. That said, it's critical that Americans learn how good it is to buy American made guitars. Sure, it's cheaper to buy a made in Taiwan piece of ****, but they sound like it compared to the real thing. Owning one PRS USA guitar would excel over 10 sweat shop axes any day of the week. Buy American, people!

I agree. I also bet if we could determine the percent of owners that buy online and not even in-person we'd find that is a majority percentage.

Fender is already dipping their toes into the direct sales arena. Would not be surprised to see Gibson do the same. PRS is a logical third... and with the consistency they are capable of, it just might work.

I'd think PRS would go that way before Gibson, as Gibsons are just a pain to buy without any hands on.

My local music stores seem to sell a lot of SE, Epiphones and cheaper Fenders. I'm getting the feeling that these so called entry level guitars are meeting the needs of most players and likely somewhat floating the parent companies.

Didn't Guitar Center also scale back its PRS USA inventory in most stores? Makes sense to the point of being glad to buy a PRS site unseen vs. needing to give a Gibson a once-over first. It has to be difficult to sell high-end American gear when there is so much quality Asian stuff available now. A used SE has got to be the biggest bang for your buck possible.

I agree. I tried to get my local dealer to look at PRS. Too much stock they have to buy at once, and I think minimum sales of $100k/year.
Interesting. I would think that would rule out mom&pop shops, and ruling anything out in today's economy seems...counter-productive.

Interesting. I would think that would rule out mom&pop shops, and ruling anything out in today's economy seems...counter-productive.

Exactly what they are and have been thriving for many years even without the big names (other than Fender). I think Gibson did this on purpose to make things logistically easier for them. Less reps having to sell a few guitars a month (or a quarter) to the hundreds of M&P shops across the country. Instead, they sell basically in bulk to the GC chain, and a few others. The problem with this arrangement, IMO, will be what happens if GC goes under, what then? Sam Ash and Sweetwater will carry on I guess.

Whereas if PRS (or Gibson) sets up a central purchasing distribution they can control it all themselves. I see PRS doing this better than Gibson, but that stands without reason.

It's a shame how expensive getting your hands on an American made guitar can be. Twill be interesting to watch what the future holds. That said, it's critical that Americans learn how good it is to buy American made guitars. Sure, it's cheaper to buy a made in Taiwan piece of ****, but they sound like it compared to the real thing. Owning one PRS USA guitar would excel over 10 sweat shop axes any day of the week. Buy American, people!

Rock on Doc! I knew I liked you. :congrats:

It would be a grand day if the "politically correct" Americans that are sooooo against Slave Labor, depressed wages, unfriendly eviornmentalists would prove it with their wallets :proud:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ViperDoc

It would be a grand day if the "politically correct" Americans that are sooooo against Slave Labor, depressed wages, unfriendly eviornmentalists would prove it with their wallets :proud:

Roger that!

Good point. And many of us do, at least where I am. Take your blinders off, and you might learn something.

I'm kes7u, and I approve this message.

Back