Wildwood Guitars & PRS?

Ugh.......... I'm just a dumb Kid from the cornfields of Indiana who barely got out of High School. I have managed to survive in Mfg. for 35 years though, which gives me a little business experience. Imported anything is cheaper than paying labor rates of the US, Australia, or Europe. We even import labor to drive down costs (or increase profits) in the US. Personally, I give Kudos to mfgrs like PRS whom obviously care about their employees.

Careful what you wish for: The next Industry may be yours.................. Might cause you to change your perspective :wink:

Yes. A thousand times yes.

Guys like Markie know how to get it done and are the backbone of 'Merica. He's the guy who should run GM and not some B-school widget wizard. I'm voting for him for President, too.

Also, Audie -- Amen!

Last edited:
Wow, this thread has gotten interesting.

Okay, Devils' advocate time:

Did the decision to outsource some production to Asia provide PRS the cash flow to expand their USA operations? And therefore created jobs both in Asia and in America? And therefore it was actually good for 'Murica?

And perhaps in the case of Wildwood, maybe the market spoke and determined that PRS doesn't match the niche Wildwood find themselves in? There's a lot of competition amongst dealers online.

Great to hear PRS is expanding. I'm going to agree with Garrett above that certain dealers specialize in certain brands. I keep a close eye on Wilcutt and Wild West, each of whom I've bought one of my core guitars from, and they both seem to keep a steady stream of core, wood library builds and PS coming and going. I certainly wouldn't think business is hurting to watch them.

Tom

New acoustic line?! Are we getting a USA core acoustic that doesn't start at $5K?!

We need more info!!!!!

You and I both! Unfortunately, I think the reality is 3.5 and closer to 5K would be the target number. When you consider what else is out there in the quality and price range that a PRS would fall into. All subjective I guess since we can only assume it is only a possibility that this will be the Core Line. More importantly, this is good news that they are expanding the acoustic line., whatever that might be. Exciting news!

Doc...I am a little confused...you say all imported guitars are crap and people who buy them are evil but you own 2 of them....are you planning to burn them?

You should learn how to quote someone. If you can find your interpreted verbage anywhere in my post, then you can discuss it further. Otherwise, cease from making generalities such as "all imported guitars are crap" and "people who buy them are evil". If you made that interpretation errantly and are willing to observe my central point (F^CKING AMAZEBALLZ TONE), then I'm willing to forgive you. Drawing general conclusions out of context, however, is more than mildly trollish. I'd prefer to discard the unnecessary and hear what you enjoy about PRS guitars.

Drew said:
... the patriotic "buy American" stuff is not only insulting to our international community here but it represents folly in a lot of your trains of thought.

Patriotism for your own native country is not insulting. If PRSh started his guitar company in Afghanistan, and we were all shepherds in BFE, I'm sure at least one of us would b!tch about something. I've got no problem with that. I would agree, however, how I could have overlooked the international nature of this community, and if anyone's REALLY offended, maybe I can buy you a tea or something. The central focus of what I said is about TONE. Stradivarius was not American, but no one would dispute his superior creations. THEY SOUND BETTER BECAUSE THEY ARE SUPERIOR.

My first PRS was my PRS SE Soapbar II and that guitar kicks a$$. So then I bought an SE Santana, and I also really enjoy that guitar. I then graduated to my first Private Stock and there is no guitar on earth that can touch it. It is the most spiritual guitar I've ever played. I wish you all could play it.

JUST ENJOY YOUR SEARCH FOR TONE. IF YOU FIND A TONE MACHINE FROM A FAR-REACHING CORNER OF THE EARTH, ENJOY IT! THEY'RE OUT THERE SOMEWHERE!!!

Its not delivery, its Digiorno.

hdr-digiorno-pizzeria.jpg

I've always been a proponent of PRS going the Carvin route and doing direct sales. At some point, its going to be a necessity to survive. $3500 is a lot for a guitar. The money just isn't out there anymore. PRS could probably take 40% off its prices if they went direct. That is huge. When you see the amount of NOS, some as much as 10 years old sitting in dealer stock, you can see that PRS Core is closer to extinction than thriving. Sure, before the internet, you needed dealers. Now, you really don't. Don't let this forum fool you. You'd think that with all the NGDs around here, that PRS is making bank. Not so. My local dealer in Palm Coast FL can't move PRS to save his life. He has had a Solana 10 top stripped 58 sitting on his wall for 2 years without a hope of selling. Total Entertainment in Daytona Beach doesn't keep nearly the stock they did even a year ago.

$3,500 is S/H price for Core models where I come from......

doc if is misunderstood your meaning of "taiwam****"then I apologize. I have always supported buying American when ever possible. I have never understood why anyone would buy foreign cars when American cars are as good or better quality at a competitive price. Many items can't be bought American. Others can't be bought made in American at a competitive price. American made PRS guitars are incredible both musically and visually but for a majority of people they are unobtainable. The SE offers a quality product at a price most can afford. Again I am sorry for misinterpreting what you said.

Lots of very interesting, and valid, points have been made in this thread. I am enjoying it.

On the count of owning imports, I am guilty on 3. Actually, 4 if I count the one SE CU24 I sold. That one was bought from a local dealer. Sold it to buy what? Another SE CU24. But not just another SE CU24, a 30th Anniversary SE Custom 24. It, and my SE A10E Acoustic were bought from Sweetwater. Then, I succumbed to the lure of a S2 Vela, w/ birds! Also from Sweetwater. But, before all that, I managed to pickup (steal) a Paul's from MusicStoreLive. And it is a Limited Run Wood Library, probably one of a kind. The other is a SE CU22 semi hollow picked up on Ebay, but that one is going back on Ebay. Total count: 2 imports, 2 American-made.

And then I see this, from Jim:

Little different perspective on all this. Several months ago a friend and I took the factory tour at PRS. What was surprising was the stacks and stacks of SE boxes piled up everywhere. Each and every one is un-boxed and setup by a PRS employee who is there earning a living every day. I'm sure that many of you who were at the factory event last month saw this too! I really doubt that many other manufacturers that also have an imported line do this. Having an entry level product line is a great business strategy to develop a strong brand awareness and that encourages those customers to upgrade into Core products later on.

Another thought! PRS already has a large, world-wide customer base - their dealers. They are PRS's customers. They've figured out a way to sell their products, and make a profit, to their dealer base and then work to have the end consumers 'pull' product thru that pipeline. If selling direct to consumers pisses off 10% of their dealer base they would be in a world of hurt.

Jim
Heck, I did not know that PRS unboxes and sets up SE's in their factory! From that I would guess that they also unbox and setup Standards as well. Pretty d@mn good attention to the importance of PRS' emphasis on quality control, IMO. Not to mention the American jobs aspect. I think in the long run, the PRS instruments that are made overseas end up contributing to the overall American economy in more ways than one. I could not be happier with the 2 SE's that I'm keeping, not to mention the 2 American babies that I fondle every chance I get. Times will have to really get hard before I consider parting with any of them. Especially since the acoustic was a Valentine's Day gift from my wife. That one will be pried from my cold dead fingers.

I also want to thank Audie for that great post. Said what I felt in my heart, but did not know as actual facts. Very glad to hear it!

So, on to more reading, guys. Let's hear it.

Last edited:
doc if is misunderstood your meaning of "taiwam****"then I apologize. I have always supported buying American when ever possible. I have never understood why anyone would buy foreign cars when American cars are as good or better quality at a competitive price. Many items can't be bought American. Others can't be bought made in American at a competitive price. American made PRS guitars are incredible both musically and visually but for a majority of people they are unobtainable. The SE offers a quality product at a price most can afford. Again I am sorry for misinterpreting what you said.

DUDE, ABSOLUTELY NO WORRIES. You are the man.

And if anyone puts this thread in the oven, I WANT DOUBLE PEPPERONI.

Back