Wife wants to buy me a new PRS…what to pick?

As others have said, congrats on the new score and a wife of lore! I don't think there is a single person here who would not love to be in your position even for just a day!!

I can not speak to the ME-V qualities other than I have heard nothing but great things about it, especially it's diversity of tones. I would certainly not embark on a PS build though without playing one, so find the nearest shop that has one and road trip there or fly to strum one. That would be my advice! I literally passed up on the chance to play one recently because I did not have the money to buy, and I did not want to put myself in a position of deciding to finance or put it on lay away, which undoubtedly would have happened had I played it ;~))

If you have the patience to wait the 18-24 months for a build, more power to ya'! I would personally compromise and find something close to what I want so that I could start enjoying it this month rather than a couple of years from now.

As for the customization's, one that is already in the wild can be customized in many ways to personalize it. Truss rod cover with wife's name on it, have someone put an inlay in the heel of the neck, a nice sticker you have made slapped on the top to cover the inconsistent wood grain (joking of course on that one), etc. If you do go PS and design from scratch, I would certainly want to incorporate multiple things that would remind me of her. Favorite color, favorite flowers maybe as inlays, her name, hair color, eye color, maybe date you fell in love, etc.

Finally, I would like to note that there is a PRS Tonare Grand available on Reverb right now that is made from "The Tree" (PS 7614 being sold by Distinguished Guitars in Wiesbaden Germany). If you don't know about "The Tree", here is a link ( https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-i...ree-the-most-notorious-tonewood-in-the-world/ ). More information on the web as well of course. Double the cost estimate you told your wife, but a piece of history unlike any other!

Best of luck in finding the "One" (guitar that is, you already have "The One" when it comes to a partner) for you and kudos to your wife and her support of your music!

First off, Contrats!

I have gone back and forth on having a private stock made for many years. The two that I bought that pretty much killed that idea, for now, are my 594 and a 2012 Experience P22. These two guitars are definitely ones I would have tried to combine to get a private stock made. One issue for me is they don't have a 594 piezo bridge. I really like having the piezo in my guitar. It adds a layer of sound in a band mix that many bands don't have. I have used mine quite a bit.

My wife just inherited a large sum of money and thought of me first! As soon as she learned she was inheriting this money she asked “What is the one guitar that you would want if money was no object?” I jokingly said “a custom PRS guitar of some kind…one of a kind with every option picked by me.“ she asked how much that would cost and I said in the neighborhood of $15 grand. She said “Great, I just found out I am inheriting a large sum of money so you figure out what you want and we will order it as soon as I receive the money!” WOW! That was double good news…she was coming into a pot of money we were not expecting and she wanted to buy me a custom PRS! She should have the money in a month or so.

Now my dilemma…what model to pick and what options to chose…tough choice I know! lol

I am thinking along the lines of a Private Stock Modern Eagle V. I am interested in hearing what options others would recommend if I went with this guitar, and/or what other models others would choose.

I need another guitar like I need a whole in the head, in fact I have started giving my grandkids some of the guitars in my collection. But, this is a special situation and I am seriously considering taking her up on her offer. lol

My wife is one in a million; she has always been extremely supportive of everything related to my involvement in all things musical. She is the kind of wife who was always ready and willing to go to a guitar store (or the NAMM show) and spend a day looking at every guitar, musical instrument and piece of studio gear in the place…and enjoy it (not the typical guitar store zombie wife dragging herself behind the hubby complaining about being there). She voluntarily learned to be a really competent audio engineer so she could run front of house sound at gigs I played at and help out in my studio. She has never complained about anything in all the years we have been together! She is a real keeper! Now, with this offer…she just moved-up to goddess status! lol
The gift? Learning to be an engineer? Actually into the gear?

You might just have the Ultimate Wife...

As to the guitar, it doesn't matter much as long as you get something you're interested in.

You might just have the Ultimate Wife...
You are correct! Michele is the most wonderful wife, partner and best friend a man could have…I have never known anyone else like her.

As wonderful as this new gift of hers is, it pales in comparison to the gift she gave me long ago…her love, companionship and friendship!

Over the next few months we are going to try to find a dealer in Florida with in-stock custom Modern Eagle V and Studio guitars so we can check them out in person. If we don’t find something we want we will make the trip to the PRS factory early next summer when my wife has sufficient time off (she is a teacher) to start a custom shop order. I have plenty of guitars, including a fantastic Paul’s Guitar, so there is no rush…we are going to have fun with the search and trips to check out what dealer’s have in stock or going to the factory.

Wow, congrats on a great wife and your future guitar! I’m heavily biased to a P245 Trem with a full Brazilian RW Pattern Vintage neck. Really covers a huge range of sounds

By all means try a modern eagle. And do come to Maryland to see the Vault. Take her to see the beauty of the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and then maybe a few days in the mountains. This is a really beautiful state. I have found that having a few guitars gives me more more sonic variety than having a Private Stock. My dream guitar is in my Avatar.

If it were me I would not change much from what I have now.

594 HBII in purple iris, but i would go for figured mahogany for the neck and sides and vintage-esque p90’s in lieu of Humbuckers, despite loving the heck out of the 58/15 LT.

Also a matching headstock.

Back