Why are some artist models only "SE" versions

Based on a lot things I've read on different guitar forums over the years, I think PRS owners have developed a reputation of being "cork sniffers". I've read/heard comments that the majority of people who own PRS instruments are often doctors, lawyers, and professionals who earn a handsome salary and can afford instuments that the average musician cannot. I believe PRS was listening and answered with their SE line.
I think it's great marketing and it opens up the PRS line to musicians who would otherwise not be able to afford a PRS instrument. What's even better is the craftsmanship and quality control that PRS monitors on these SE instruments. They are not simply selling the PRS name through a crappy line of overseas instruments like many other manufactures. They are truly offering a well made instrument at a very reasonable price.

Nailed it.

John nailed it on his first try - there is a reason why Fender doesn't make a Custom Shop Avril Lavigne model as well... exactly the same thing!

All good responses to this thread.... I completely understand marketing wise why these would be SE models, just thought that a big artist, especially ones as skilled as the opeth guys would have their own models made for them that are the same in every way apart from say the quality of woods etc... For example... James Hatfield wouldn't use the LTD model of his signature guitar... But it's there for those people who want something close, while he would use the proper ESP version.

so yeah I've certainly seen them using those models, but close up who knows if they are hand made variants made in the US.

But as I said, I'm new to the PRS world, and from the sounds of it, these instruments are good enough!

So yeah ended up finding one in Australia for about $950... Which is about $900 USD.. So not too bad....

My guess is that currently, Mikael is happy with his herd of Core Custom 24s and Fredrik is happy with his various Core Singlecut models. So they'd just hold back the idea of doing Core Sig models. Plus, when you mention Opeth to all your friends, most of them wouldn't know Opeth, much less listen to progressive death metal. That's why they can't just go and make Core Sigs because those guitars literally won't sell unless the artists are big names in the music industry. (Tremonti, Santana, Chris Henderson etc.)

The SE MA was actually based on a ME 24-fret Singlecut Trem that Mikael bought few years ago. He's basically making the SE, which is a cheaper copy of the ME, to help his fans to be able to "afford" the ME that he loves so much. :laugh: Good thing, right?

I think younger players are also more influenced by their favorite bands, and more likely to want a signature model in the first place.

And they have less to spend, so...it all dovetails nicely with the reasons previously stated.

My guess is that currently, Mikael is happy with his herd of Core Custom 24s and Fredrik is happy with his various Core Singlecut models. So they'd just hold back the idea of doing Core Sig models.

The SE MA was actually based on a ME 24-fret Singlecut Trem that Mikael bought few years ago. He's basically making the SE, which is a cheaper copy of the ME, to help his fans to be able to "afford" the ME that he loves so much. :laugh: Good thing, right?

Exactly.... This is why I was surprised that they were using unmodified SE's. As musicians who have access and already owned the very crime of the crop of PRS (costing thousands more). Yet if they were so happy with them, it doesn't show. the videos I've seen, they are mainly only using their custom model.... Which is the SE.

I have an American deluxe Telecaster, and a Mexican Strat. I love that Mexican Strat, I got lucky with it, but the telecaster is just way way better in the hand.... All parts and finishes are just way better... It's so noticeable... Now I'm not saying an SE is a Mexican Fender, but I just thought those guys would be able to tell the difference and would only want to use the best... Custom model or not... I'm not disagreeing with anything that anyone has said, just surprised...

Also, regarding the ME24 single cut, I've seen that interview, maybe I should watch it again....

I just went and watched that video again where Mikael talks about the guitar. Funny half the comments seemed to be as skeptical as I was about it being a custom made model from the US with SE logos put on it to make it look right.... You guys seem to have won me over though... Either that of Mikael is a really good salesman...

I have an American deluxe Telecaster, and a Mexican Strat. I love that Mexican Strat, I got lucky with it, but the telecaster is just way way better in the hand.... All parts and finishes are just way better... It's so noticeable... Now I'm not saying an SE is a Mexican Fender, but I just thought those guys would be able to tell the difference and would only want to use the best... Custom model or not... I'm not disagreeing with anything that anyone has said, just surprised...

Well, actually you can compare the SE - USA PRS to be just the same as the Mexi Standard - American Standard. It's got the same silhouette, similar parts, the same brand name, but when you pick up the American-made one, it's just "better" than the Korean/Mexican one. All those tiny details and finishing touches on the American-made ones just outshines the imports. Of course, if you are having a blind test, there'd be too many similarities to tell them apart. But with your eyes open, they are different. One can continuously convince himself that he's getting the same everything on a cheaper import guitar. One can argue saying buying the American-made ones are just overpaying for the same thing as the imports, but in the end, when you question yourself very very honestly: Are they really the same thing? I guess most people would have known the answer even before thinking thoroughly ;)

That's also why Mikael uses his unmodified SE on a few songs only, while the Maryland-made Custom 24s still get most of the play time. Well, that is, if you had loads of distortion on the amp running, the stock pickups only have to sound clear and not muddy, and the SE pickups are doing a great job here. Then it'd be good enough already, it doesn't have to be some boutique hand-wound pickup to sound "better". That's marketing technique right there, plus he'd surely be paid to use it! If not, well... he got such a great guitar for free, why would he not use it? :laugh:

I had the pleasure of playing one of the new SE Orianthi models recently and I must say I was super impressed. Bone stock this thing was a player! The Ebony board felt great and the Korina body/Maple neck combo sounded superb. And I really dug the flavor of the pickups, nice and hot bridge pup without being overly abrasive and the neck pup rang clear as a bell but still sounded warm and full. The split tones were pretty damn good as well...

Back