Who plays a 509 and why should I buy one instead of a 594 sc?

Bob Hundemer

I'm looking at the 509 and I find it intriguing. I've been looking for a 594 sc 2020 model and have only found one. Currently I have a 1998 McCarty that I bought new. It's still a really good guitar and it looks like new.
I also have a Fender Texas special strat with a humbucker in the bridge. It too is a really good guitar but I would like a slightly smaller scale length which the 509 seems to have.
So, should I keep looking for my 594 sc TCI, nitro or give the 509 a try?
Opinions please :)

Two very different guitars.

The 594 is a classic Les Paul type with a more vintage sounding Pick ups and different neck shape. Whilst it does offer Coil splitting, these are not very 'single coils' but that doesn't mean they aren't usable at all - just different. You get the option to use both Humbuckers as you would expect from a double humbucker guitar too and overall its a Les Paul with a few more tonal options. Two volumes and two tones do allow for more blending options in the middle position as well.

The 509 is more a modern 'Super Strat' guitar and is a more like 2/3 instruments in one. You can run it like a Strat (SSS) and the Single Coils are more stratty/tele sounding and, like a strat, you also get the middle single coil in between positions (or use it on its own). You don't get the double humbucker option though because the middle position gives you that middle Single Coil. The humbuckers are different tonally too but if you don't like the Pups, you can't change them easily - its a guitar you buy to keep stock (not that that's a bad thing). You mentioned its scale length which at 25.25 is much closer to a Strat too but you also have a trem bridge as well.

The neck carve and scale length do make them feel quite different too but I think they are very different instruments and best to pick the one that will suit your needs and preferences the most - at least when deciding which to buy first. Owning both wouldn't be too much crossover because they are quite different instruments. There isn't anyone that can really tell you what you should buy - its not like deciding between a Gibson R8 or a PRS SC 594 which are very similar - although the PRS does offer better QC and more tonal options so a better buy imo but ultimately, they are similar enough that you may not want/need both. The 509 and 594 are [almost] as different as a Gibson Les Paul and Ibanez JEM...

I’d agree with @veinbuster on that. I don’t have a 509, but my main guitars for years have been a pair of 513s, the parent guitar to the 509, and I also think they’d lend a different feel where the 594 is more McCarty-esque. That said, the 594 is a wonderful instrument with a vibe all it’s own.

Wise counsel to try both if you can. There is a danger inherent in that, though. I ended up with two of each! :D

Two very different guitars.

The 594 is a classic Les Paul type with a more vintage sounding Pick ups and different neck shape. Whilst it does offer Coil splitting, these are not very 'single coils' but that doesn't mean they aren't usable at all - just different. You get the option to use both Humbuckers as you would expect from a double humbucker guitar too and overall its a Les Paul with a few more tonal options. Two volumes and two tones do allow for more blending options in the middle position as well.

The 509 is more a modern 'Super Strat' guitar and is a more like 2/3 instruments in one. You can run it like a Strat (SSS) and the Single Coils are more stratty/tele sounding and, like a strat, you also get the middle single coil in between positions (or use it on its own). You don't get the double humbucker option though because the middle position gives you that middle Single Coil. The humbuckers are different tonally too but if you don't like the Pups, you can't change them easily - its a guitar you buy to keep stock (not that that's a bad thing). You mentioned its scale length which at 25.25 is much closer to a Strat too but you also have a trem bridge as well.

The neck carve and scale length do make them feel quite different too but I think they are very different instruments and best to pick the one that will suit your needs and preferences the most - at least when deciding which to buy first. Owning both wouldn't be too much crossover because they are quite different instruments. There isn't anyone that can really tell you what you should buy - its not like deciding between a Gibson R8 or a PRS SC 594 which are very similar - although the PRS does offer better QC and more tonal options so a better buy imo but ultimately, they are similar enough that you may not want/need both. The 509 and 594 are [almost] as different as a Gibson Les Paul and Ibanez JEM...

Great description!

What the others have said is spot on. I have both, and they are very different. Both awesome, but not all that similar. More sounds out of the 509. And the 594 is the landing place of that original McCarty you have. If you're looking for something different, grab the 509.

Both l are great guitars, but if I could have only one, it would be the 509, particularly my current one from the Brian's Wood Library run with maple neck, male fretboard, and swamp ash body that a few of us in here can attest to.

The hog body and neck 509 or replaced was a great sounding and versatile guitar as well.

I sold my 594 (not because I didn't like it, either).

As others have stated, the 594 gives you it's great sound with a couple of coil taps thrown in. The 509 of any variety is a Swiss Army knife that you will most likely use all of it's tools at one time or another!

I dont prefer the 509 scale length or being locked into the pickups...
Brian points out another reason to try them both. I jump from guitar to guitar regularly whenever I need to (or more truthfully, just feel like it). There are 8 different brands with multiple scales, neck carves, fret sizes in my music space right now. Even swapping from electric to acoustic locks you into certain sounds and choices. So, for me personally, a guitar having certain things that are intrinsic to it is a plus, not a negative. I love the variety, and don’t struggle jumping from one to another. This may be a reason I love the 513... it’s the intersection that all the rest of my instruments go through. The center of of a big and diverse town.

For some players, one feel, one tone, one zone is the way. You could argue that the most identifiable players are these guys. If they try something else, it needs to be modded to be as close as possible in feel and tone. The center of a small, close knit town.

Finally, there’s the wanderer. This is the tone chaser, endlessly tinkering/tweaking/changing. A guitar is a canvas... adult Legos. The “best guitar” is a fluid concept that changes often. There is no home, no destination. It’s the journey.

Which one are you? You may need to play both to find out! I think we all have some of each, but one is usually dominant. Every once in a while you’ll meet a person who is all three all the time. We call him Paul Reed Smith.

Last edited:
We all knew this response was coming. But it was just surprising, disappointing how long it took this time. 15 hours?!?! (if my math is correct)

You guys are really slowing down.

If you read my post, I said you should by both too but picking which one to buy first should come down to which you need first. I said owning both wouldn't be too much crossover as they are very different LOL

Ok update: I made a trip to my local guitar center and played a few different guitars. They did not have a 509 but they did have a 594 sc 2018 and a ultra strat and a les Paul standard and a prs 24.
To my old hands and ears the 594 sounded and played the best.
I can't speak to the 509 as a personal experience but for the music I play and like I think I've decided on a 2020 594.
I may revisit the 509 in the future. Thanks to everyone for their input!!!

Back