Which PRS guitar should I get?

drusso5

I am looking for a PRS guitar that can achieve the tone of the 2000s rock, nu metal era, think mesa boogie drop C tone. I am not looking for metal tones bands, more like, breaking benjamin, staind, seether etc.

I noticed that a lot of the bands during this time tend to use the PRS McCarty Core guitar and those would have more of a PAF style pickup combination?
or
Some used Custom 24's

I however can only either afford either an SE or S2 version of a PRS.

However, I already own a fender Kurt Cobain jaguar which has the Dimarzio super distortion in the bridge and 36th PAF in the neck. This guitar sounds good for those gritty tones but it lacks sustain when bending or holding notes. (I can take a photo if you want).

So I am looking at PRS now and I am wondering if I should look at a PAF-oriented guitar such as the 594 s2 or se custom 24 / 2408 for that era.

I know I will have to try them but for those who know which ones sound better with better clarity for that kind of style.
Thanks.

I'd say the McCarty 594 with a higher output bridge bucker will do nicely. Lower (read PAF) output will work as well, but you will loose some of the attack with the AlNiCo magnets in those compared to the (often used) ceramic magnets in higher output 'buckers.

In my book the McCarty is a little thicker sounding than the Custom. So there is that.

I would suggest a 277 baritone. Breaking Benjamin/staind/Chevelle etc are known for their drop tunings. A baritone will get you nicely in that range. I believe a baritone is the primary guitar for some of these artists. Otherwise I think they used custom 24’s when associated with PRS. I wouldn’t think a McCarty range would do it, especially the 594s that have a short scale and very vintage PAF sound.

I would suggest a 277 baritone. Breaking Benjamin/staind/Chevelle etc are known for their drop tunings. A baritone will get you nicely in that range. I believe a baritone is the primary guitar for some of these artists. Otherwise I think they used custom 24’s when associated with PRS. I wouldn’t think a McCarty range would do it, especially the 594s that have a short scale and very vintage PAF sound.
That is true also I was thinking about a baritone but I would like a more normal scale that's more flexible.
Don't paf pickups have more clarity with lots of gain from the amp or?
I do also enjoy a nice clean tone but yea, my options are pretty much the SE line or S2. Just not sure how different it will be compared to what I already own.

I associate the bands you mentioned with a Single Cut. But any PRS with humbuckers should get these tones if they are set up for it (i.e. use heavier strings for lower tunings).

I associate the bands you mentioned with a Single Cut. But any PRS with humbuckers should get these tones if they are set up for it (i.e. use heavier strings for lower tunings).
I have a digitech drop pedal that I use so I can keep my string gauge 10s.
wondering if TCI-S / 85/15S are good for those bands.

If you’re going SE, maybe get the one you like to play the most - and the look of - and then swap pickups until you find the right sound (if necessary). I feel that with that style of music finding the right amp is probably more important than what guitar you use (as long as it is in the ballpark). Of course a trem system can be problematic if you do a lot of palm muting, so maybe something with a fixed bridge?

Back