Which pickups?

Paz

Alright guys,

As above I’m just curious as to what pickups everyone uses. I’m actually quite happy with the 85/15 on my custom 24, but just wondered whether many of you change out the pickups, or just leave them stock?

Dan

I started my CU24 with VB/HFS, which changed to Covered 59/09's, which changed to 53/10 Neck with \m/ bridge, which then changed the neck to 85/15, which now changed to 58/15LT neck with 59/09 bridge.

It's changed a lot as I've gained other guitars and want it to still keep a solid place in the lineup.

Reactions: Paz
Pretty much 57/08s. I have one guitar with 58/15LTs. I have a couple with narrow 408s. I have a couple with #7s, and a couple with Starla humbuckers and D-type singles. Oh, an one with DGT pickups.

My CE-24 immediately got it's pickups swapped out for Dragon 1's, and my SC245 has Bare Knuckle Mules instead of the #7's. My SE One has a narrow 408 now too :D I think that's it, I didn't change anything on my Siggy

I used to swap pickups until I learned how much influence:
-pickup heights and screw poles
-volume pot actual measured kohms, and swap
-tone caps actual measured uF, and swap
can change the guitar's tone

Now the only pickup swaps I do is to change the style of pickup, from say humbucker to P90 (H size) or others.

All 4 of my PRS guitars are 'stock' - no need to change what isn't 'broken' and I only buy guitars if they sound great anyway. If they sound 'poor' who's too say they won't sound poor with a different set of PU's. One of my guitars would be very difficult to change PU's in too.

My 509 has '509' Single Coil type PU's - 5 arranged in a H-S-H configuration.
My Custom 24 has the 85/15's which I think suit that model well - its perhaps a more modern sounding PU - especially compared to my next 2 instruments
My 594 and HBii both have the 58/15 LT's and I do think that the PU is well suited to these. I can understand why some my switch out the PU's in the 594 to get a certain era of Les Paul type sounds, something a little 'hotter'. I prefer the more 'vintage' tone and I like the fact that being relatively low output, these guitars can do really nice cleans without the amp on the verge of break-up - even with the volume rolled off. That also suits the HBii as well.

What I really like though with all my guitars is that they still retain the clarity of individual notes - even in a high gain chord strum - something a fair few guitars don't have as the notes are all muddied together.

There is no right or wrong here, no better or worse options and really only 2 categories here - Tones you like and tones you don't. You can argue that some may sound better or worse but that is more down to individual preference. They could also sound different depending on everything in the signal chain from the output of the guitar until the sound hits your ears which can vary from person to person. I am yet to hear a 'bad' sounding PRS and the only 'bad' sounds I have heard, are all down to something else in that chain - whether its a bad settings or just a bad pedal - its never been the PRS PU's.

My PRSi are stock pickup-wise with two exceptions:

- CU24 changed from VB/HFS to reissue T&Bs. Gave me that PRS sound that I heard way back when.
- SE-7 CU24 changed from the SE version of VB/HFS to Mark Holcomb signature Alpha/Omega pups. Loved them in the Holcomb SE.

In my guitar journey I had a few instances where a ray of light shone between some clouds and I heard the angels play the most awesome rock-n-roll. It happened when I first bonded with my 594 and McCarty, when I found the perfect Les Paul for me, it happened the first time I played a PRS through a Vox turned up to band levels, the first time I played the Smallsound/Bigsounds Mini OD pedal (ruined all other OD pedals for me and made me drastically downsize my board), the first time I used the Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe tape delay pedal, and when I first plugged in a guitar loaded with Bare Knuckle The Mule (neck) and Riff Raff (bridge) pickups. I'm happy with the PRS pickups I currently have, but I'm thinking of replacing the bridge Dragon II's on my CU22 with a Bare Knuckle Black Dog. I'm super happy with the neck Dragon II. The bridge DII, on the other hand, is okay, but nothing to be crazy about. I already have a spare bridge Black Dog, I'm trying to find time to do the swap.

I have a DGT and a SCT with Mira pickups
and I am putting a McCarty set in a CU22 ( Changing from a 36 anv, Tone Zone Dimarzio )

Alright guys,

As above I’m just curious as to what pickups everyone uses. I’m actually quite happy with the 85/15 on my custom 24, but just wondered whether many of you change out the pickups, or just leave them stock?

Dan

I can’t imagine changing the 85/15 set in my Custom 22, they are dreamy with every amp I’ve tried. I did change the 85/15 S pups in my SE Custom 24, they were too dark, to a JB/Jazz set, which was a nice improvement (eventually sold that guitar). All other PRS that I have are the stock pups, which are fine, and am only considering changing the Standard pups in my SE Standard 22, which are just OK, could be better, thinking Kent Armstrong ‘57 set.

I’ve tried most of them. I like them all for different things and so usually don’t change them. Favorite are the PRS Metal pickups.

I’ve got 3 PRS and I’ve put Seymour Duncan Customs in the bridges of all of them.

In a CU24? Oh man, I’ve been around the block with pickups! HFS/VB to first run 57/08s to Pearly Gates to Burstbuckers to Andy Timmons to 59/09+VB to FRED+PAF Pro. I know, I have a problem. Searching for the right set that properly “drives this guitar”, which almost happened with the 59/09. The guitar plays so well and has great acoustic sustain, it just needs the right pickup to emphasize the right harmonic content.

My McCarty has gone through the most changes.
McCarty McCarty
McCarty 500t
5909 5909
VB HFS (low tune)
M M (low tune)
8515 8515
8515 5909

The 8515 neck is my favorite neck pickup with 5708 a close 2nd

I love the feel of the McCarty model, it fits me like a glove. Just didn't gell with McCarty bridge pickup.

Also, it got Mann locking klusons (an absolute must) prs adjustable bridge, rosewood bling and 408 style switching.

I've been playing it a lot lately, fabulous guitar.

I have a ce24 that came hfs vb. I don't mind the vb, it's juicy and kind of fun but HFS does not work for me.

It got 5708s on both ends but swapped bridge with 5909. It has 408 style switching, Mann 1 piece trem, ph2 and rosewood bling.

I bought an all mahogany ce22 beater. It came with SD 59s 3 way toggle no coil split.

I put rotary switch in, 5310s, ph2s and freshened up the trem thanks to FedEx a new case too.

Three that I won't change. Ce22 with dragon 1s. I've slowly moved to the paf style pickup lust so I don't play it much and thought about moving it.

2011 cu24. 5909s both ends and this guitar sounds crazy good. Guitar is very dynamic and just produces cool tones no matter what amp you use.

1989 cu24. Stickered T and Bs This guitar is just too cool to fool with.

I forgot about my Torero. Bought it because I "thought" I just needed a Floyd prs and liked the specs on it.

Hated the active EMGs just like I thought I would. Completely gutted the thing. USA jack plate, USA pots, USA 5 way switch, lampshades and dragon 1s.

After using the prs trem I don't gell with the Floyd like I used to. Sadly it's for sale.

I ended up changing out the pickups on my SE Standard 24, with some Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday's which I got for half price on eBay. I was considering Pearly Gates as well. I think it sounds great.

Back