Which Model is it I seek?

Daniel9789

Hey all!

Wonder if you can help me ..

Im a bad guitarist, played for years badly, but recently decided to take lessons and LOVING it.

As part of my new found love for guitars im also 'collecting' to mount to a wall at home to adorn and display and remind me why im learning.

So far ive got a Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s and a Fender Stratocaster Original 50s (2 original guitars).

I want to add some other classic 'flagship' models to my line up and id love a PRS.

So my question is, which model is the 'flagship'?

I dont want custom shop, way too expensive for my needs, but do I look at the SE Custom 24 range, or the McCarty range perhaps?

I havnt set a firm budget, but id like a nice colour (no black, grey, brown), I need a bit of vibrancy for this guitar, albeit nothing mad, maybe a faded blue burst from the CE24 Custom range.

Please may you point me in the right direction?

Custom 24 core is the original/flagship I'd say. Or if you like 22 fret, then a custom 22.

PRS Guitars | Custom 24 - 2021

Thank you.

And the SE is the budget, the S2 the more expensive, the core the expensive one?

So as long as I choose a Custom 24, from any of those price ranges it will be the flagship model, similarly how Gibson has the Les Paul and Fender have the Strat?

Thank you.

And the SE is the budget, the S2 the more expensive, the core the expensive one?

So as long as I choose a Custom 24, from any of those price ranges it will be the flagship model, similarly how Gibson has the Les Paul and Fender have the Strat?
Yes the core is the more expensive of the three lines, and it is the original line. SE budget line came later, and S2 after that.

Thank you.

The Custom 24 is the original, quintessential PRS. As far as a "flagship", anything in the "core" series of Maryland made, set neck, fully carved top guitars are the same quality, just different scale length, electronics etc. Above that are the one off custom built Private Stocks, and below are the USA made S2 series, and the import SE series. Check out the different series on the PRS website, then look at your favorite PRS dealer website for ideas about new pricing. Good luck.

Thank you.

SG and Tele players may beg to differ with your assessment, but yes, a Custom 22 or 24 is what put PRS on the roadmap similar to a LP or Strat. SE’s are made in Asia and are great value, S2’s are US made but with less carve and fancy bits, and Core is, well, the core line - full carved tops, nicer maple caps, etc.

if you’re not careful (or maybe if you are careful) you may end up with a Silver Sky and a McCarty 594 instead of your Strat and Les Paul ;)

What do you like in your hands better, the thin Fender neck or the beefier Les Paul neck? The answer may sway you one way or another in the PRS line. The Custom 24 typically has a thinner neck and the McCarty/594/DGT have a thicker neck carve. Being a newly “reinvigorated” guitarist, I’d focus on getting the model that you can’t put down…it inspires you to play more. It makes a big difference to me and it might make a difference to you.

As others have noted, you couldn’t get a lot more PRS than a Custom 22/24. You do have other options for guitars that are distinctly PRS, but offer something a Les Paul or a Strat, by themselves, don’t. The Studio, for instance, offers a standard humbucker and two “Narrowfields,” a PRS pickup that is somewhat similar to a minihumbucker with slightly more power. There are models that have just Narrowfields, two or three at a time, depending on the model. The king of PRS versatility, in my opinion, is the 513. Combining 5 proprietary pickups and two blade switches for 13 unique pickup combinations, it is the single most versatile instrument I have owned (and I still own two!). You can only get it used, as it was replaced by the 509… a slightly less flexible, but still great, guitar. If you want to stay with a new guitar, the McCarty 594 Soapbar is another way to get a different sound than your LP/Strat in a now-classic PRS model.

Custom 22 or 24 if you’re purely looking for the flagship model. Boogie is right on the neck carve part. Most 24’s tend to have the wide/pattern thin. Less often a regular/pattern regular. 22 fret models are wide fat/pattern. If you can get in a store with a few examples of the neck carves, it might be a benefit to see if any play and feel better to you.

Which of the two guitars you already own do you like best?

If you prefer the feel of a Les Paul, then a shorter scale length PRS from the Core line would possibly suit best - Santana Retro, McCarty 594.

If you prefer the Fender feel then perhaps you want the PRS in-between scale - most of the rest of the Core range. The Custom 24 is very nice.

If you love the Strat single coil, then the John Mayer guitar, the Silver Sky might be an option. It's certainly cheaper.

For me, the PRS is a cut above Fender and Gibson and I'd prefer to have a Core model, even if that meant selling one of the two you have to help fund it. A really nice PRS will almost certainly make you question the Gibson.

I have just one guitar right now - I sold my Gibson Custom R9 and Custom Shop Strat when I was shopping for it - Santana Retro. Feels like the best bits of a Les Paul and a Custom 24. It's arguably the flagship model, certainly the original prefactory model. 10 to 15 years ago it was the most expensive non Private Stock model via the Santana I / II models.

The SE models are nice guitars, but they aren't very reflective of the Core models, they are obviously made to a budget, and you'll probably prefer to play the two you already have over an SE. The S2 line I've never tried, but understand them to be close to Core quality and build, and of similar quality to what you have. But for similar money, a used Custom 24 would be hard to beat.

Last edited:
If it's wall art, find a pretty SE and hang it up. If you are actually going to play it, find the one that has the feel and tone that moves you. I would be in the used core Cu24 market if it was me.

The Custom 24 is definitely the one I see as the "flagship" model. I'd look for a used Core.

When you say G Std and F std, are these new/used?

Just to give an idea of budget.

If you’re looking for wall art, you can’t go wrong with an older (looked after) CE 22/24. Lots of guitar for the money.

Bargains can be had, used.

You have the "the Gibson"...you also have "the Fender"....if you want the have the "The PRS" you need a CORE custom 24...to match the other guitars. The "custom" more expensive core tiers are the wood library, 10 tops, artist and private stocks...all of which knock on the door of the other guys "custom shops". You could probably find a used core model with a small un-noticeable chip or two in the same price range you paid for the other guitars.

Back