Which is the one PRS to rule them all?

Obviously personal preference is the determining factor for this. For me, of the guitars I’ve spent time with, is the 513 swamp ash. It just sounds good for all occasions and it feels great to me. The 408 is a pretty close second.

Would love a 513 with a rosewood neck though. I prefer a rosewood neck to any other type. Rosewood with swamp ash? Hmmm…
I had a 513 with a rosewood neck and like I fool I let it go, this guitar remains my biggest regret in selling

I had a 513 and it was awesome. I think a 509 would work better for me though. And in all honestly I'm still blown away by my SE Paul's guitar. So if I had the money to buy any PRS today, and it be my only one for live use, either a 509 or core Paul's would by what I picked up first. Of course custom 22 piezo would be handy if I need acoustic tones. And a hollowbody Piezo would cover a lot of territory too.

a socket wrench beats a box wrench for speed but sometimes you cant use a socket so you need both sets of tools. and for screwdrivers, one typically has multiple different sizes because having the right tool for the job is key. since guitars are just tools one can apply the same reasoning, which you have already discovered. embrace having a tonal palette. live long and prosper.

My CU24 piezo is my go-to for sure. I can play pretty much everything I do on it. If I could afford to commission a private stock build, I'd like to try out a semi hollow ME-V with a piezo.

An alternate angle would be a guitar that doesn't do approximations of guitar tones - the Limited Special Semi. It doesn't really sound like an LP or 335 in humbucking mode, and doesn't sound much like a Strat or Tele in any single coil position. Of all the PRSi I have played (and I certainly haven't played all of them), it's the most confident in being itself.
Excellent points! I agree, it's a guitar that does its own, unique thing and doesn't try too hard to be what it isn't.

The PRS Studio is one of my favorite guitars. The mini humbucker pickups are fuller than a single coils but it has a open sound and not as heavy as regular humbucker pickups. It also gets a nice quack in toggle switch 2 wind the back pickup is in the single coil setting.

The OG studio is such a great guitar. Hope @sergiodeblanc is keeping her warm ;)

Back