When you like an SE more than a core model

@markd21
What is that in the rack behind you, Helix Rack? Or did you get an early Axe FX III?

Helix Rack. Been using one since they hit the market - in fact, I am pretty sure I got one of the first....I was on a waiting list. I LOVE it. It is, really, the second GREATEST, life changing gear purchases I have ever made. The first was when I got my first Rivera rig in 1990.....I was blessed with THE tone. When getting the Helix, I was blessed with the ability to achieve EVERYTHING my massive, GCX/Ground Control Pro rig was doing in three spaces.

I have a 2014/2015 Indonesian made SE Standard 24 in Sergio Blue. Bought very little used for silly money. The quality is phenomenal although the push pull tone pot was sloppy so I swapped it for a cheap one from China costing about three bucks and it has held good ever since. I liked the original pickups but I eventually replaced and sold them. Regret parting with the bridge pup now. The guitar is a joy to play. The trem works as well as any of the best ones that I have used. I do not own a core model but whenever I get to try one (not very often to be honest) then of course I compare them to my SE Standard, and . . .

When I think of you I think of blue and this is the only blue guitar that I have so for sure it really does remind me of you. Je vous présente Le Sergio Bleu :p

dgo52j1e0s3576-500x500.jpg

Helix Rack. Been using one since they hit the market - in fact, I am pretty sure I got one of the first....I was on a waiting list. I LOVE it. It is, really, the second GREATEST, life changing gear purchases I have ever made. The first was when I got my first Rivera rig in 1990.....I was blessed with THE tone. When getting the Helix, I was blessed with the ability to achieve EVERYTHING my massive, GCX/Ground Control Pro rig was doing in three spaces.

Cool! Even though I bought the Axe FX III, I'm not getting rid of my Helix and Helix LT. Still love the heck out of Helix! Okay... thread hijack over. LoL!

Just got round to playing my Tremonti Custom Ltd Ed after a long gap and had forgot just how great it feels (still wish Thomann hadn't spec'd it with EMG's) just have to get some new core pickups for it. Actually recorded a rough demo with it and my Dragon II equipped Santana SE that I've called "Sergio's Blues" (think the guitars new name is gonna be Sergio Blue - it was called Blue SE before tonight)

May I present Sergio Blue

Playing my freshly finished SE Santana yesterday along "Sergio Blue"- above post. I've come to the realization that the Santana is probably just behind the Bernie when it comes to all things killer about the SE range. She sounded fantastic before but now the the Dragon II's installed and a 5 way rotary switch she's a killer. Now I just to need to get a 2017/18 24 fret santana to go along side her:cool:.

I've never owned an SE but I have sold "nicer" guitars and kept cheaper ones. All guitars are different in some way.

And you need to get a Chris Robertson SE too...yeah, you definitely gotta get one of these too! THEN you'll be all set.;)

Okay you win.

SE Chris Robertson

here she is on the sofa with some other famous names

Back Row = Tremonti Natural

Middle Row Left to Right =
Bernie Marsden
Chris Robertson
Tremonti Custom Ltd Ed
Nick Catanese (custom werewolf artwork)

Front row left to right ==
Modified Santana
Marty Friedman

After a few months with my core 594 I’ve decided to sell it. I actually prefer playing the plain 245 SE to the 594. When I got the 594 I expected it to be much better than the SE, and it is in some ways, such as the attention to detail, finish, components, etc. But at the end of the day, I never got used to the 594’s neck and flat frets (which feel like railroad bumps to me). It does sound better, but not THAT much better to my ears. I actually like the extra punch that the 245’s pickups have a lot. The wide fat neck ln the SE is also a lot more comfortable to my hands.

Such a shame that it wasn’t meant to be. Has this happened to someone else?

I suggest you take a step back and look at where each instrument is coming from before taking any harsh decisions.
One is a Holy Grail chaser and the other is meant to satisfy a broad spectrum of users.

Try playing both acoustically, i'm sure you'll find the 594 much more responsive.

The pickups are underpowered yes but maybe your expectations are for something way more brilliant than what you can actually have in the SE.
If the pickups are too weak for you (which I definately get, then try some aftermarket options) I recommend Bareknuckle Riff Raffs or Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates sets.

Been through this myself, I had a Epi that I upgraded from with Duncans @ 8.2K neck & 9.8K Bridge and the guitar seemed more fun to play till I realised it was only due to more power in the motor rather than the rest of the package

I suggest you take a step back and look at where each instrument is coming from before taking any harsh decisions.
One is a Holy Grail chaser and the other is meant to satisfy a broad spectrum of users.

Try playing both acoustically, i'm sure you'll find the 594 much more responsive.

The pickups are underpowered yes but maybe your expectations are for something way more brilliant than what you can actually have in the SE.
If the pickups are too weak for you (which I definately get, then try some aftermarket options) I recommend Bareknuckle Riff Raffs or Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates sets.

Been through this myself, I had a Epi that I upgraded from with Duncans @ 8.2K neck & 9.8K Bridge and the guitar seemed more fun to play till I realised it was only due to more power in the motor rather than the rest of the package

While I can agree with some of your response you clearly haven't taken into account personal choice or noted the op's main reasons for maybe getting rid of it. Yes the 594 is a vastly different guitar in terms of quality to the SE245 however if he can't get on with the neck's profile and the flat frets then he probably never will. Just because it's one person holy grail dosen't mean its everyones (the vintage pattern neck on the 594 is very polarizing).

I have the the same thing with my two mcCarty's my 2015 is a beautiful instrument and is a joy to play however my 2001 version just blows it out of the water, better neck shape, nicer pickups(to me at least) feels like a true extension of me. I've been playing for 38 years - 30 of these semi pro and currently have a collection of over 120 guitars, If you asked me which guitar would I save from a burning building. I would probably pick my SE Bernie Marsden over all of them. A good guitar should an extension of the player regardless of price, place of manufactuer or the name on the headstock.

Last edited:
I have to admit my experience has been the exact opposite. I've owned SE's, and for the money they are great guitars, but I've purchased a couple and sold them both shortly thereafter. If the neck and frets of your core have a bad feel I can understand but in all my comparisons the SE neck, fretwork, and overall sound paled in comparison to any core instrument I've come across.

I may be the contrarian of this forum but this is my honest experience.

Back