What's your pick of choice ?

After falling in love with the yellow 0.73 mm Dunlop Tortex years ago, I then migrated up to the Green 0.88's and that's where I've been ever since (with 0.010 gauge strings).

On acoustic, though, I almost cannot play with anything but the Dunlop Ultex 0.73 mm. Something about the natural feel of them, and the snappy attack that I like on the acoustic even better than using Tortex.

Dunlop 205 Jazz Picks. Small 2mm thick shape, can be palmed, fitting between forefinger and thumb with a smaller footprint. Though I seldom palm my pick, my pref leans towards hybrid picking. Long lasting, smooth edge for a better jazz/blues tone.

Rc237d75b2b93dcb380c195a2c8faadea

John Petrucci Jazz III get most of my time these days but the old stand by is green tortex that I've favored for years.

For most of my work, I like the Blue Chip Jazz 35 that's shaped like a Jazz III. But since picks all give you a slightly different thing, especially with acoustic guitars, I also use the PRS or Fender celluloid picks, the Ultex Jazz III, Tortex standard style pick, and mandolin picks. Each gives one different textures and sounds.

BlueChip TD60. The only pick to outlast a global pandemic! Seriously, I got this pick a couple of years ago after recommendations on this site as I was fed up of the Dunlop picks I used to use wearing away and this constantly changing shape. The BlueChip picks seem to be indestructible, no discernible wear on it at all, and I've used it a lot (I've played more in the last 10 months than I've ever played before -probably).

I have been using a the Bluechip TAD 3R 60 for about 6 years now, the same one. I have a bunch of other picks, and the Gravity gold 2.5 are similar, but the thicker feel I like. I have a bunch of V-Picks too, most o=sizes and shapes up to that giant Insanity I use for practice when I notice my grip getting too tight. I also keep a large 2mm Vpick on my on me for gigs and practice for a couple songs I do that I do pick slides in, those thins are indestructible.

I even have some Wegens, and original Vpicks I have had since the early 2000s.The Bluechips are awesome if you don't loose your picks, and is my go to for the feel, grip and tone.

someone turned me on to V-picks and I haven't found a better pick since

they're not cheap but the material ive found is the best at 'staying in the hand' , when playing the friction heat seem to make it stick

I prefer the switchblade; pinch harmonics on command pretty much

Dunlop 205 Jazz Picks. Small 2mm thick shape, can be palmed, fitting between forefinger and thumb with a smaller footprint. Though I seldom palm my pick, my pref leans towards hybrid picking. Long lasting, smooth edge for a better jazz/blues tone.
Amazing... I have some of these and love them. Not my overall favorite, but PRIZED for their ability to...

RIP!!!! Shredders dream, how smoothly they fly over the strings. And, always interesting to hear that someone uses the pick in a completely different way. That is a pick I love, but only use for shredding.

Back