What's your pick of choice ?

Amazing... I have some of these and love them. Not my overall favorite, but PRIZED for their ability to...

RIP!!!! Shredders dream, how smoothly they fly over the strings. And, always interesting to hear that someone uses the pick in a completely different way. That is a pick I love, but only use for shredding.

Hmm! This is news to me. I've preferred the 205s because of their warm, round tone, and have never tried playing speed metal or such. I guess there are folks who like small thick picks because they "carry themselves well." I don't see them as futuristic picks, just ones that have organic, "down-to-earth" tones.

Gravity 007 Gold 1.0 and 1.5 is my favorite been playing the most on those after discovery. My #2 pick is red/black dunlop Jazz III max grip. I have a better selection of picks at home than my local guitar center does...lol. Finding a good pick is something I'm always doing and i like to try everything out to see what advantages I can get out of them technique wise.

3 pages?

How did we get this far? I thought Hans intercepted this one like Deon Sanders in the Subway commercial. :confused::confused:

:D:D

That's a negative, ghost rider. An 'intercept' would be bumping the many pick threads and then watching folks try to remember which one they were following.

What are you using ?

i-vNHX9bQ-L.jpg

Last edited:
That's a negative, ghost rider. An 'intercept' would be bumping the many pick threads and then watching folks try to remember which one they were following.

That is a more advanced strategy... Well, since I seem to be in football mode, can we call it a "solid block?" Maybe not a pancake block. :)

Of course I was just joking anyway. These threads we do over and over can be repetitive, but things do change over time. My favorite pick has changed 3 times in the last 5 years, for example. I bet if I looked back to the ones you posted that if I was in 3 of them, my favorite would be different each time if they were over a year apart. Past favorites still get play and are still in the top tier, but the new top dog has changed a few times.

But it's not like TGP where there's a new "what is the best Klone" thread, or "which is best, tube amps or modelers" thread every week! :rolleyes: Although, it is funny to watch that last one change over time. :)

Many folks love them, the Jazz 2 has a round nose, that's the main difference. It`s not necessary to overpay, you can make 2 from 3 if you want, it was 2 that I liked more, for me it`s uncomfortable and unaccustomed to play with a sharp tip. Although there`re musicians who prefer the opposite. Among the material, I prefer the classic viscous plastic, that' s why I buy at Personalized Guitar Picks. Before that, I experimented with all kinds of materials - glass, metal, bone and even wood. I also tried literally every model that exists... There's no point in listing them, as I never really counted=)

Last edited:
Dunlop Ultex Triangle 1.14mm for electrics, Dunlop Tortex Flex 1.14mm for acoustics and mandolin, recently. I had used Tortex yellows for the longest time, occasionally experimenting with other thicknesses (lighter ones on mandolin), but someone recommended the Ultex and Flex varieties, so I tried a few and find these to work the best for me.

Strumming my acoustic - Dunlop Tortex Standard .60 mm
Playing Leads - US Blues T3 Buffalo Bone (I know it's not the most PETA friendly but at least I'm not killing endangered turtles)
My All-around go-to pick for general use - Dunlop Primetone .73mm

I've tried jazz style picks as well as the triangles, but I find the 351 style (I think that's what they're called) are the most comfortable in my hand. Maybe I should make myself use one of the other shapes exclusively for a week or two and see if my perspective changes?

I've been really liking these two gems from Bog Street. They are made in USA and are really durable. The hole in the middle helps with keeping my fingers on them, and they can be rotated to change the thickness depending if you want a harder pick or not in the middle of a song. They make all kinds of picks like these. I have a few different ones that I can use for both guitar and Bass

2z9bgma.jpg
I have a bunch of these plus DAVA picks

I just use run of the mill red Jazz 3's. I've probably tried every pick under the sun at this point, and I keep coming back to these. Cheap, effective, and you can get em anywhere. Other picks might improve on the design a bit but theres a always a downside like a "clinky" sound when hitting the strings or they are expensive. I like the Eric Johnson ones particularly due to the slightly matte finish and the raised lettering. That really gives a great grip.

OK, harsh opinion time, get your calzones ready. As for the alternate versions of Jazz 3's out there...
-the ultex versions are just weird
-the stubbies are fast, but clinky
-the John Petrucci versions are nice but kinda bigger than Id like
-the black ones are fine but cost more and arent worth it
- tortex variety is kinda redundant
- stone picks...I dont get it. I call snake oil.
- wood picks are just...why?
- Fender Triangles...I might as well play with a spoon.
- Dava picks...great until the rubber peels off. Bought em one time, and nope.
- V-Picks....good, lots of styles, but expensive. I swallowed one once.
- PRS picks...erm...like a torex with the bird cutout, which actually helps. Not used to the big picks anymore tho.
- Metal picks are for crazy people.

Last edited:
I have taken a shine to the Tortex Flex Triangle 0.60mm lately. Of course, I can count the "leads" I play on one hand, so I am just a strummeister, but I like the feel of these and they seem to hold up well. I think I have primarily been using the same pick for about 2 months now, and the last one did not rip until I think 6 months of daily use! I will be sure to go and post this in the other 38 threads on this topic (not)!

I have taken a shine to the Tortex Flex Triangle 0.60mm lately. Of course, I can count the "leads" I play on one hand, so I am just a strummeister, but I like the feel of these and they seem to hold up well. I think I have primarily been using the same pick for about 2 months now, and the last one did not rip until I think 6 months of daily use! I will be sure to go and post this in the other 38 threads on this topic (not)!
Some of my Blue Chip picks are 7 or more years old with absolutely no wear at all. I'm pretty certain they'll outlive me by many centuries.

It's weird how long they last..

"Professor, please come over here! I've been sifting the sand for months in this archaeological dig on Exoplanet 447,886,111, and I've finally found something of interest. I've never seen anything like this before. It seems like it was just made, yet I found it in Level III, which means it's over 10,000 years old! It appears to be a very small hand tool of some kind."

"My goodness this IS an interesting find! It appears to have survived this planet's ancient nuclear war in perfect condition. Can't say that about the other things we've found so far. I'll call Professor Les over and see what he thinks it might be. Les, what do you think?"

"We've only found one or two of this type of object on this entire planet during our digs, and never on any other planets. Frankly, we're not certain, Professor. But we think it's a tool that the ancient beings on this planet used to clean the spaces between their teeth."

"Professor..."

"Yes?"

"What in the heck are teeth?"

Back