What's Yellow and Red and SUPER Versatile?!?

markd21

A Paul's Guitar!!!!

This long winded, rambling thread contains cool paragraphs about my 2015, Faded Vintage Yellow Paul's Guitar.

This guitar was purchased the time as the MC58. I got interested in the PG after getting the updated version of Dave Burrluck's PRS book. Initially I was aiming for a 408 or Signature Limited, however I have always been attracted to the "different". Of the three models with the 408 system, I ended up falling head over heels for the PG. The brush-stroke birds, the Honduran Rosewood - which is redder than you usually see on a PRS, the subtle headstock differences and the idea that this is Mr. Smith designed for his own use...why wouldn't I want to check one out???

It was really as simple as this - after buying the MC58 I still had a big chunk of cash left. This baby was on GC used, rotting away in Alabama. GC James and I made the call and, again, found out this guitar was in mint condition. It had all the case candy. It had the Paisley case. Stupidly, I was REALLY excited I was getting two guitars with Paisley cases in the same week!!! Shoot, it even had the tremolo bar - try THAT in a regular GC, lol!!!

Long story short, based on the store/history details it looked like this guitar could be scored for a great price. I had James SIT it over. It arrived a couple days after the MC58 (which I had overnighted). As soon as I picked it up from the case I was greeted with a MUST have guitar - unless I hated the sound. It was beautiful and flawless. James and I ran back to the Vault and plugged it in.

Initially I wasn't sure about the sound. Typically, I sent about an hour with it, mostly trying it clean through a Twin Reverb. I couldn't really tell the difference between the HB/SC modes. We messed with it, and ended up checking online to see what was what. Once we figured it out, the thing that jumped out most was that the hype surrounding the 1500 extra winds was true. There was NO volume drop or thinning of the tone when going to SC.

I grabbed it. Getting it home and doing a deeper investigation, I discovered that it is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than my other guitars. It looks a bit like there is more wood in the middle of the back. The way the body curves it reminds me of my original 540S I got when I was a kid. I still have that Ibanez, so I pulled it out and started comparing it to the PG. Obviously there is no real comparison, but there are a lot of similarities. It hit me WHY I was so into this guitar. It was like a modern, classy update of my 540S.

WHAT IS HE TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?!

Well, both guitars are yellow. The Ibanez is neon yellow, but still yellow. Both have mini switches. The Ibanez has 3 minis as on/off and a push/push on the tone to split the bridge pup. Subconsciously I was seeing the PG as a "grown up" version of the 540S, which has always been an AMAZINGY versatile guitar!!

Neat, huh??

........rotting away in Alabama.........

That describes me for about a year in my early thirties. Haha..

And here's mine:
i-MQVJXD3-L.jpg

Killer guitar. I'm with Sergio, I like the stories too. Mostly because I'm long winded too :D

Nice write-up! As with bodia and Sergio, I like hearing the stories as much as seeing the eye-candy. Possibly because I'm a yarn-spinner too...

SWEET a Paul's with a trem :)
I have a Brushstroke 24 ( same guitar as yours with 2 extra frets :) )
and it just kills
Congrats on the score and a great story also

Oh man... that's just gorgeous! Congrats!!

I was THIS FREAKIN' CLOSE to pulling the trigger on a beautiful Paul's Guitar last Wednesday... My wife was there and even gave the Consent of the Treasury, so I was free to do it! Beautiful charcoal burst stoptail just under 7 lbs, NOS from 2015... I had it! I wanted it!!

but I couldn't afford both it and my new Tele... and... well, I've gone through 10 Teles over 20 years searching for this one, and I just could NOT say no... I was raised on the Prairie to Glenn Campbell and Tommy Hunter and Roy Clark and Jerry Reid and Chet Atkins... I mean, these are the guys that made me want to play guitar... and this was the guitar that drove the music I was raised on... and I'll be taking it to my grave...

but I won't be forgetting that Paul's anytime soon... *sigh It truly is an exceptional guitar...

Last edited:
Oh man... that's just gorgeous! Congrats!!

I was THIS FREAKIN' CLOSE to pulling the trigger on a beautiful Paul's Guitar last Wednesday... My wife was there and even gave the Consent of the Treasury, so I was free to do it! Beautiful charcoal burst stoptail just under 7 lbs, NOS from 2015... I had it! I wanted it!!

but I couldn't afford both it and my new Tele... and... well, I've gone through 10 Teles over 20 years searching for this one, and I just could NOT say no... I was raised on the Prairie to Glenn Campbell and Tommy Hunter and Roy Clark and Jerry Reid and Chet Atkins... I mean, these are the guys that made me want to play guitar... and this was the guitar that drove the music I was raised on... and I'll be taking it to my grave...

but I won't be forgetting that Paul's anytime soon... *sigh It truly is an exceptional guitar...

banned.

LOL... in my defense, I currently own 15 PRS guitars, and one Fender... and besides, I could argue it's Paul's fault that it took me so damned long to find a Tele I could live with anyway... ya, I wouldn't have been driven to this extreme if it wasn't virtually impossible to find a telecaster that can compare to PRS guitars in terms of quality and workmanship, so it's his fault I tell ya! HIS FAULT!!

Back