What was your first guitar amp?

Bro', i LOVE that guitar.
AWESOME.

A small Magnatone that I really wish I had kept... along with a Magnatone X15 Tornado guitar that was my first electric guitar...:(

t6hlalvurbonkiromwka.jpg

I don't remember the brand, something cheap I'm sure, but it sucked. It was a little 6" thing with volume, tone and OD settings. It really only had 2 settings, off and really loud and distorted. I could never find a happy medium with it. I wound up selling it to a kid just learning to play, and bought myself a Boss Cube 30X.

I pulled out my second guitar amp the other day, a 1980's vintage Peavey Backstage Plus and went through it, spraying the pots and resoldering the reverb tank leads and guess what? I can say without hesitation that it still sounded as crappy as I remembered...

I pulled out my second guitar amp the other day, a 1980's vintage Peavey Backstage Plus and went through it, spraying the pots and resoldering the reverb tank leads and guess what? I can say without hesitation that it still sounded as crappy as I remembered...
I eventually sold my crappy Peavey to a local kid for $10. It was a treat for him.

Fender Sidekick Reverb 35
It was a package deal with a Sears Harmony guitar I bought from a guy I used to work with back in '89 for $125
Still have it, but tossed the Sears Harmony.

47951850433_80312a5dc5_z.jpg

Last edited:
I eventually sold my crappy Peavey to a local kid for $10. It was a treat for him.

Funny enough, as bad as that Backstage was/is, I absolutely love my Classic 50 410. It was my first "good" amp and it doesn't have an effects loop, so it's a either a first year 1991 or early 1992 model and it's been dead nuts reliable all these years.

I had some really awful no-name solid state practice amp that had soft cloths sides (almost like a felt) and a round grill over the 6" speaker. I think I actually destroyed it instead of trying to sell it.

My first real amp I bought with my own money was a Peavey Classic 50. (I think it was a 1x12) I ended up selling it because I couldn't get good high gain sounds. (was too dumb to know I could have put some pedals in front of it lol.) I almost bought one used a few years back because I remember loving the clean tone, but people are asking too much for them, so bought a Blues Jr instead.

Peavey Musician head, with a 15" cab. Loud as @#$%*.
I too had a Peavey musician head, the Mark III or something like that. It had a big cab with two silver cone 15" speakers, and a horn if I remember correctly. It was indeed loud as )(*)(#*)(#, but the sound of the thing was not to be desired. The built in distortion was ok, bu the verb was a tin can with a stick clanging around in it. I eventually lost it in a divorce with the rest of the rig. In that, she did me a favor that one time. The judge ordered me to liquidate the entire rig and give her half, so an original Fender Thinline 69 tele in natural, a Guild S-100 Polara, and that amp all went for the price of 500 bucks. I gave her half. She was mightily pissed, but there was no monetary expectation set by the judge and he said, "he fullfilled the requirements of the order"..... I only miss the guitars now.

I too had a Peavey musician head, the Mark III or something like that. It had a big cab with two silver cone 15" speakers, and a horn if I remember correctly. It was indeed loud as )(*)(#*)(#, but the sound of the thing was not to be desired. The built in distortion was ok, bu the verb was a tin can with a stick clanging around in it. I eventually lost it in a divorce with the rest of the rig. In that, she did me a favor that one time. The judge ordered me to liquidate the entire rig and give her half, so an original Fender Thinline 69 tele in natural, a Guild S-100 Polara, and that amp all went for the price of 500 bucks. I gave her half. She was mightily pissed, but there was no monetary expectation set by the judge and he said, "he fullfilled the requirements of the order"..... I only miss the guitars now.

Bummer about the Tele and Guild. I happen to know of a similar divorce story but it involved a gorgeous 1965 Mustang fastback that got sold to a brother for a $1. Once the proceedings were finalized, it was sold back for the same $1. Of course this was back in the day when the lawyers and general public were still just looking at them as "old" cars and not at their appreciation potential. Probably a much different story if this happened today. BTW, he still has the '65 even after another divorce, although he finally got smart with a prenup that time around.

Mine was a Silvertone twin twelve, which I believe had about 20 fire breathing watts. I blew it up in college, but kept it, and had it rebuilt around 1995 by a vintage fanatic. Sounded great, but it was also a Divorce casualty. Sold it to a friend who is an amp collector and will never sell it. I visit it every once in a while. Then tech 21’s (I have them all) and a PRS 2 channel 20 and 30. Done for life.

Bummer about the Tele and Guild. I happen to know of a similar divorce story but it involved a gorgeous 1965 Mustang fastback that got sold to a brother for a $1. Once the proceedings were finalized, it was sold back for the same $1. Of course this was back in the day when the lawyers and general public were still just looking at them as "old" cars and not at their appreciation potential. Probably a much different story if this happened today. BTW, he still has the '65 even after another divorce, although he finally got smart with a prenup that time around.

The only entertaining thing about the memory is the sale of the amp. Some guy that played for a belly dancing troupe in Dallas at the Goldfinger's Greek restaurant came after calling about the ad. He brought a Gourd sort of instrument, bushkazi (sp) maybe. Came into the living room, plugged it in and dimed the thing while playing and I thought I was in Beirut.....he took it home, or to the restaurant and that was that...;-)

WAY back when....A 35 watt, 1 x 15, tube bass amp from Monkey Wards, apparently made by Supro. Had a modern art/psychedelic front that "moved" when I played. I recall certain folks that were "a bit impaired" trying to focus on it in motion....."Far out man!"

Very similar to my '75 Classic 50 2x12. IIRC, the Classic had reverb, but no chorus/vibrato effects. 6L6 tubes. Could just about hear myself think in a crowded room. :)
These are the hybrids with a tube power section right?

Two for sale locally, I have heard great things. Maybe I should look into them...

Back