What tools should I purchase for guitar setup and maintenance?

akabek

Aside from any tools that come with the guitar what tools should I purchase for guitar maintenance? I am just looking to do light maintenance like cleaning the body, fretboard, polish the frets as well as intonation and adjust string height. Is there a kit available that would have most items or should I buy separate? I don't want to buy a kit if only 25% of the items get used....I would rather buy separate. I see Amazon has kits but I have your regular tools like pliers, screwdrivers, small hobby files etc

I have rosewood and ebony fretboards.

Is the Nomad product line good? I bought their guitar wax. Can I use a lightly damp microfiber cloth with soap and water to clean the guitar or should I buy a guitar cleaner? I was going to get their F-One oil for the fretboard. They also have a fret polish kit with fret guards. Are fret guards necessary or can I use masking tape?

For intonation and string height is there a preferred gauge to buy?

Thanks for any suggestions

I have everything in those kits so I will get a string height gauge and a guitar neck rest for support. Thanks for the responses.

a cheap string height gauge is a must, everything else in these kits probably came with the guitar or you may have already around the house

+1 on this - they come in really handy, especially if like to swap string gauges or adjust action level. Feeler gauges also useful for that stuff.

String height gauge is my most used tool. A very accurate tuner for intonation. Maybe some files for your string gauges of choice. Superglue, wood glue, toothpicks, q-tips, naphtha, denatured alcohol, wrenches and Allen wrenches, screwdrivers, sandpaper, soldering station etc... Just thinking of stuff I grab on a regular basis...

Definitely focus on making a safe and comfortable workspace: the guitar rest is a great idea, and if you need a lamp, or towels, or whatever... Lighting and comfort (able to stand up straight) make a world of difference.

be sure to buy one of those winders so you don’t cramp your hand changing strings, and the punch for making picks out of butter tubs.

be sure to buy one of those winders so you don’t cramp your hand changing strings, and the punch for making picks out of butter tubs.

Don’t forget an old motorcycle for making a tremolo out of!

I do a lot of work on my guitars, and I wish someone had told me this stuff when I started out. Here’s my $0.02:

A set of small screwdrivers & hex drivers with soft plastic handles for adjusting bridge saddles, pickup height and intonation. Wiha makes a great set, but anything with soft handles should do.

A small wire cutter with soft plastic handles. I prefer Wiha’s insulated tools, but anything with a soft handle is ok.

A small hand towel or old t-shirt for wiping down your guitar.

A small bottle of orange oil cleaner & wood conditioner.

A small bottle of wood polish.

A Dunlop NC65 neck cradle.

A string height gauge.

A truss rod adjustment tool. There are different sizes for SE guitars and Core models, so be sure to get the right one.

A small tube of Big Bends Nut Sauce.

Patience.

A willingness to learn.

A keen sense for details.

FWIW I‘ve never had a need to use a string winder. I have one but never seem to need it.

Guitar picks make a pretty good string height gauge if you slip them under the string.
Fretboard conditioner like guitar honey is great.
a fret polish guard from stewmac is convenient but painters tape also works when you ever need to buff tarnished frets with some 0000 steel wool while protecting the fretboard. When you do this I would tape off my pickups because metal shavings will stick to your pole pieces.
The other option is to use Dunlop micro mesh fret polishing cloths from amazon.

Here's what I use the most: Good winder that fits the tuner buttons well, small wire cutters for string changes, string height gauge, properly sized screw driver(s), truss rod wrench, and a good tuner. I use a strobe tuner app on my phone in conjunction with an iRig interface. Oh, and a capo can be useful for checking relief.

a fret polish guard from stewmac is convenient but painters tape also works when you ever need to buff tarnished frets .......

The lid from a plastic butter container, with a slot cut in it, the size of a fret works well too.

I use one to slide under a wraparound bridge, to stop the strings scratching the finish on one of my guitars. I’ve cut it to fit snugly underneath, whilst re-stringing.

A drill press makes a fine Fret press, with the appropriate fret caul in it, when fretting a neck.

There are lots of little tricks of the trade, that you can pick up from YT guitar build videos.

Back