SE Starla nut replacement

TwoMoons

Hi, I think I need to replace the nut on a 2021 Starla SE that I just bought. I've tried setting up, but buzzing persists on low E and low A strings, and string heights at first fret seems too low. Does anyone know if the 2021 Starla uses this SE nut on the PRS website? No sizing specs or guitar compatibility is mentioned, but it does say the nut fits most SE lines. The SE Starla feels like a larger widely spaced fretboard to me vs. most guitars I've played, but I have no idea if it's differences in the SE lines and

PRS SE nut
https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/s2-parts/products/se-string-nut?variant=248914418

Here's other PRS nuts available - would these work also:

Rough measurments of the current nut are
Length = 43mm
String Spacing = 36mm
Height = 7-7.5mm
Width/Depth = 6mm

I apologize if there's a list of corresponding for each guitar, but I couldn't find it. Appreciate info or link if available. Thanks,

I'd get the core nut for wide fat neck instead of the se

I'd get the core nut for wide fat neck instead of the se

Thanks for suggestion. I'd love to use the better nut material assuming it fits. Do you know if there Is a way to compare the dimensions and string spacing of the two different nuts, or is it just that they're different materials?

edit: Also, I guess, have users in the forum successfully substituted the core nuts on SE guitars without much issue? I'm comfortable setting up my guitars, but I'm not a luthier if much advanced work is involved. Close to "drop in" and adjust slots for height as needed would be preferred if possible.

Last edited:
Thanks for suggestion. I'd love to use the better nut material assuming it fits. Do you know if there Is a way to compare the dimensions and string spacing of the two different nuts, or is it just that they're different materials?
Welcome. Core nuts fit on se. Just be sure and get the widefat one.

Welcome. Core nuts fit on se. Just be sure and get the widefat one.
Awesome! Thank you for the info. Exactly what I needed to know. Appreciated. I really like the jangly sound of the Starla, but got to get rid of the buzzing. Thank you again so much for info! ;-)

Back