what to switch to from archon?

__TX__

Howdy, PRSers. I have a 100W Archon, which I really like but don't LOVE. I have it up for sale and considering using the $ for another PRS amp or trading for one. I'm new to the PRS line and haven't really followed what Doug and the guys have been doing. So I'm looking for advice on what PRS amp I should be looking into for a great clean (hopefully a lot like the Archon) and yet can do more of the edge of breakup through to medium high gain..

one thing about my archon is how good it feels to play. the response. hopefully, other PRS amps have that immediacy of response.

Any chance we can talk you into a single channel amp? In the current PRS line, the only 2-channel amp other than the Archon is the 2-Channel Custom. That's a great amp too, but for my tastes, the "edge of breakup" isn't what I'd associate with it. HX/DA will do that fantastic, but it won't give you pristine cleans like the Archon does no matter how you dial it in. The DG30 will give you better cleans than the HX/DA will as a single channel amp, and will also do a very different style of "edge of breakup" that I actually prefer. But my sense is that the Marshall heritage of the HX/DA is more of a crowd pleaser. It can do everything from cranked JTM45 to full-on tricked out plexi.

If you're up for used, I personally find that the old 2-Channel C is pretty darn good at the edge of breakup thing...but again, that's my personal taste. Clean channel is great also.

thanks, guys. i am also considering putting some 12AT7s in the 2 gain sockets to see what that does to the gain channel. anyone done this?

I haven't, but would be interested in your impressions if you do. For me, since I have other options for the more traditional low to medium gain tones, I like the Archon just the way that it is. I will say though, that so long as you get over the strange looking setting, with my 100W Archon, I can get some decent crunch tones out of it with the lead channel volume set less than 1 at pretty much any overall output volume. I think that most people don't bother trying that since it looks kinda weird and seems like it would be out of the sweet spot, but it works well for me.

I did this when I got my Vela...just noodling around exploring the various pickup and control settings. After the very initial clean section, the rest of the clip was done on the lead channel without pedals (starting around 1:00 or so).

I haven't, but would be interested in your impressions if you do. For me, since I have other options for the more traditional low to medium gain tones, I like the Archon just the way that it is. I will say though, that so long as you get over the strange looking setting, with my 100W Archon, I can get some decent crunch tones out of it with the lead channel volume set less than 1 at pretty much any overall output volume. I think that most people don't bother trying that since it looks kinda weird and seems like it would be out of the sweet spot, but it works well for me.

I did this when I got my Vela...just noodling around exploring the various pickup and control settings. After the very initial clean section, the rest of the clip was done on the lead channel without pedals (starting around 1:00 or so).

Thanks for posting this! I would have never thought to go there, but it sounds great! Off to twiddle knobs on the Archon!

swapped out some tubes for about an hour. here is a quick video of a 12AX7 in v1 and a 12AT7 in v2 and a 5751 in v3.. first part is gain at 9:00 and then turned down to ~ 1

swapped out some tubes for about an hour. here is a quick video of a 12AX7 in v1 and a 12AT7 in v2 and a 5751 in v3.. first part is gain at 9:00 and then turned down to ~ 1

So, how do you like it now? Better than before, or not?

didn't make a huge difference. i just put the 12AT7 in v1 and it seems to lower the gain a bit, too. i can see this is going to take some time to mess with. lol

12AT7 seems to do a lot in V3.

Try a JJ 5751 in one or multiple preamp gain stages. It has the gain of a 12at7, but the nerdy tube math equivalent of a 12ax7 in all other respects. In my experience 12at7's are very thin and harsh sounding, the 5751 is just like a 12ax7 but less gain and a tad smoother.

I really am addicted to my HXDA and DG30, but that doesn't mean they'll work for you.

However, I love that you posted a video and experimented a bit.

thanks, guys. i am also considering putting some 12AT7s in the 2 gain sockets to see what that does to the gain channel. anyone done this?
I think that's an excellent idea -- might lower the gaininess of the gainy channel.

I am surprised no one ever mentions the Blistertone head, i had one and it was a great amp that did the medium gain thing really well. Was advertised as a high gain amp but it never got there for me, everyones idea of high gain is different.

Thanks, guys! I think i'll order me one more 5751 and have those in v1, v2 and v3. :) Thanks for the clip, Aristotle. Thad cab is sick. :)

Where did that reverb sound come fro at the beginning of the video in the clean channel?

Back