What PRS guitar is this (in France)?

Vinny64

Hi everyone, first post. I live outside Paris, France and found an older PRS Custom on a popular online classified listing here... their equivalent of Craigslist. The guitar is a long train ride from Paris so wanted to make sure it is genuine or even desirable before I make the trip. It is listed at 95€.

If genuine, wow. It is the double-cutaway style, orangish maple-flame type top. The pickup selector switch is located above the neck pickup which is uncommon and concerns me. Has the standard bird fretboard inlays.

I am unable to make out the complete serial number but appears "casual font" on the rear of the headsstok #18 246235. Any thoughts?

(not sure I can upload pics on my first post?)

Can you post a url that shows some pics?

That sounds like too cheap to me at first to be legit but there are tons of real prs experts here.

I agree about the price, but this is France, and the seller may, or may not, know what they have in hand. The guitar it is far out of metro Paris, so he may have difficulty selling. I do expect it to be in user condition. But if it playable and retains PRS sound, what's $95? I was just informed I can't post weblinks until I have 3 posts. Can I upload jpgs?

I'm willing to bet that is a Fake. Even if its an SE, it seems way to cheap to be legit - the cheapest being a Standard and that doesn't come with a Flame Maple top. Obviously without being able to see it first hand, its difficult to be 100% certain but it screams 'Fake'....

Description and serial number sounds like a USA made McCarty 594 model from 2018. But 95 euros? A single pickup from that guitar would cost twice that. I sense a scam of some sort.

dang... wish I could post pics. The guitar is definitely worn. Dual humbuckers (gold or chrome covered) with ivory frames, 4 pots. No tremolo, and that toggle switch about the neck pickup. Actually, the head has the large Paul Reed Smith signature, not PRS. Doesn't say SE. The truss rod cover says Custom, appears to be a wood cover.

Sorry about no pics. For $95 bucks and a nice train ride to the countryside, might be a nice story to tell the rockstar grandkids someday. :)

We are going to need pics. You can post them after three posts on this thread. At that price it is likely a fake that has some of the bells and whistles. They are making them better these days but we can still tell. I wouldn't touch it without verifying authenticity. Just not worth it.

So after scouring ebay listings for current and completed entries, U.S. and then France, and elsewhere... the appointments and furnishings are almost identical to the McCarty 594 model at zzsounds, $3,800.

The only difference of note is the truss rod cover says Custom, not McCarty 594. The tuners are sealed, not open like the 594. But in appearance, they are the same.

So, for $95 I could have a nice fake of a great guitar? Might even be a decent player?

does the serial number make sense? For a 2018 model, it is definitely worn.

Sealed tuners on a 2018 would likely make this a fake. Worth the cost isn't the issue. Buying a known fake is promoting dishonesty and should be rejected as loudly as possible.

Post the pics on a share site like https://imgur.com and then paste the URL here.

Last edited:
You are right.I'd rather not have a strike against my integrity for the sake of a novel experience. I thought if it was a genuine "beater" might be worth the trouble. Because of the physical condition, I thought it was a much older guitar than a 2018. Who would abuse a $3,800 guitar?

I'm curious, but will take a pass. Thanks all for the input.

There is an outside chance it is real. It would be worth sending us pics to confirm.

thanks... but is there is a way to post pics without registering with imgur.com and providing my telephone number? Is there a way to email pics between members on this forum? This may not be worth the bother.

Back