PRS Paul's Guitar - wanting to lower the action

Aaron B

Hey guys! my first post and I wanted to ask about lowering the action on the Paul's Edition SE. Because I've never done this on any guitar before. But also, the bridge is a bit different than the usual SE, and I can't find a video about it

I'd post pictures but I'm not allowed yet. I'm sure someone knows what the bridge looks like lol

Anyways, the monster bridge screws, I assume are how we're lowering it. I'd measure each side to make sure they're even. My main question is will I need to drop the pickups down the same amount? I would imagine they'd create a decent bit of feedback / general noise if I didn't. Also, do I need to loosen / take my strings off before I tackle this?

These are probably basic questions but I don't wanna mess up my brand new guitar and then be unable to get it back to where it is now if I don't like the changes I make. Thanks in advance!

Several part answer:

1. If you're lowering the bridge studs to lower the action, then yes, you need to loosen the strings so there's no tension on the bridge.
  2. Before you lower the bridge, check the neck relief. Your issue may be that there's too much relief, not that the bridge is too high. A quick turn of the truss rod may be all you need.
  3. Another before you lower the bridge, play the guitar and try to lock that tone in your head if you're happy with how it sounds. Make a recording if you can. Then, if you do lower the bridge, you can adjust the pickups as needed to get back to that tone. You may like the sound w/the pickups a little closer or a little further than they are now. It's best if you can measure the distance, but your ears should be your ultimate guide.
Honestly, I'd turn the truss rod a bit first - an eighth to a quarter turn. Very easy to reverse, especially if you note where you start from. Make sure you give it a little time to settle in.

As above, start with the neck relief. Capo the first fret, press down on the last fret and check the gap. You want the thickness of a piece of paper (or a scratch lower or higher, but not much. I go a touch lower).

Tune the guitar again and check again. Once that's right, yes adjust your action screws. A reasonably low action has 1.6mm (2/32in) on the 1st string (high E) and 2mm (5/64) on the 6th string (low E) then tinker from there until your action is right. Using 9s I go to about 1mm on the high side & 1.5mm on the low.

With the stoptail bridge intonation works best at the 1.6-2.0mm settings. Next, use the screws at the back of the bridge to set your intonation at the 12th fret.

Also, don't just jam a screwdriver in the bridge screw heads. Put some cloth or something in between the metal surfaces so it doesn't mess up the screw heads.

At the PTC they have a special tool for this, seen in some factory tour vids, expressly for the purpose of keeping the bridge pins pristine.

I'll second the truss rod adjustment. Much easier than messing with the bridge.

To be honest, it's better to go to a professional. If you have an idea of what to do, you can try to do it yourself. If you don't know how a guitar works, you shouldn't try to do it yourself. You can damage the elements of the guitar, and you won't even know about it. I, for example, decided to learn how to play the guitar myself, and I ended up with a bad fit. Only in the second year was I able to put a barre. I just don't understand how to do it. I had to learn it all over again. At https://middermusic.com/guitar-tricks-review/, they explained all the guitar tricks to me, which became much easier to learn. Think about it.

Last edited:
Old post that OP has probably figured out by now, but adjusting your action, truss rod, and pickup height are basic things all guitarists should know how to do. A fixed bridge is a great guitar to learn on. Try these things yourself and you'll be thankful for years to come.

Last edited:
Back