What matters most when buying a guitar?

Rusty

I'm curious to see what matters most to people when purchasing a guitar.
For me it has to be the neck carve. It has to fit like a glove.
I am also very focused on how it resonates when played. For me this is a deal breaker if it resonates in a way that makes me think something in the construction is not solid.
What do you look for when shopping around?

I've learned that everything matters when buying any instrument. There are enough instruments out there so that you are allowed that pleasure.

Age, experience, and time devoted to the instrument make you more aware of how important each different thing becomes to you when buying. Some things may mean more to one person then another. If you are anal retentive, as some of us become, it may become harder to find the best instrument to please yourself, but then the hunt becomes fun as well, if you have a positive outlook. ;)

It has to look good or I won't pick it up. To me looking good is mostly interesting, not necessarily pristine.
Then it has to feel good, or I'll put it back on the hanger. I'm not fussy about the details in that I'll play different body shapes, scales, necks - but the package has to feel good in my hands.
Then it has to play good.

I'm curious to see what matters most to people when purchasing a guitar.

If you want to talk guitars, you are quite welcome to stay.

Links to your own guitars like the ones in you signature constitute advertising spam and will not be allowed.

Any further advertising will probably earn you a vacation.

1. How it feels
  2. how it plays
  3. How it sounds
Who cares after that....

Oh man Les beat me to the punch on this one;), but now I'm curious as to what this nut was trying to dangle in front of a bunch of PRS enthusiasts:p.

I believe I've heard Mr. Paul Reed Smith (in person on a couple occasions, too) say something along the lines of "It has to look good, or you won't pick it up, it has to feel good, or you won't play it, and it has to sound good, or you'll put it back." He gets good mileage out of that observation, but it's 100% true.

Similar to his oft-used "The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it, you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." That said, PRSh didn't factor in the longing to have our hands on the instrument when away from it, or Gear Acquisition Syndrome!

Edit: I'd generally agree with Paul's take, though appearance is (somewhat) less of a factor than feel and tone. The feel is undoubtedly most important to me (I have to be able to play fluidly without feeling hampered by the neck), and that's some combination of neck carve, fingerboard radius, nut width, fret size, string gauge, setup, etc. Tone is a close second, as hearing the sound in my head realized in front of me inspires me.

To me, there's three things an instrument can do...

1) It can fight you and prevent you from expressing yourself musically. This is subtractive.

2) It can get out of the way and let you play with no interruption. This is neutral.

3) It can create a positive feedback loop of sorts where the feel and tone of the instrument inspire you, musically speaking. This is additive.

Number three is the goal.

Back