What is PRS like for you?

Don't let Mr. Tim Spoyle, spoil your joy! PRS goes above and beyond to make the best guitars they can at multiple price points!! Maybe they will come out with the Johnny Rotten version eventually with beer stains and chicken wing sauces included for Sir Spoyle to enjoyal!!

Awesome and all great responses, I am loving my PRS guitars. I currently own 2... so I guess I have a more untainted/fresh perspective as I'm still in the honeymoon stage.

For me, PRS guitars are like any other decently/well made guitars, whether we're taking SE line, core or private stock and any other PRS line. I love PRS guitars the same I love every other good brand out there (Fender, Gibson, Squier, Epiphone, Gibson, Gretsch, Yamaha, Ibanez, Ovation, I have a guitar or 2 from each of these plus many more. I always say I have 25 in the guest room, imagine how many more outside of that). Anyways, if PRS guitars are just guitars, then any other brand is just guitars as well, if PRS are like family, so are the other brands.

For people who favor one brand over another, good, that's great for them - I personally won't ever be that. I won't ever be brand exclusive or have some strange affinity towards one brand over another because every brand has its pros and cons. PRS' best is at even playing field as Gibson or Fender. That said, there may be something like a "flavor of the week" thing for me as I tend to cycle from one guitar to the next for church to keep it fresh.

PRS' best is at even playing field as Gibson or Fender.
Just curious. You own two SE’s, which you say are on par with your cheap Squires. How many cores have you owned? How many have you played? How many Private Stocks have you owned? How many have you played?

I’m just curious. You get defensive that some people with years of experience and many brands of guitars, and even many high end brands and high end modes from the usuals (Gibson and Fedner) say that they prefer PRS over all other brands overall. I’ll never say that one style guitar is “right” for everyone, and I’ll never say that you should think PRS is the best brand because some people here think that.

I know this is a PRS forum, but we’re open to talk about what other guitars you have here. There are many members here who own high end Gibsons, Custom Shop Fenders, and many other high end boutique brands. What other high end guitars do you have? CS Fenders? Higher end Les Pauls? Boutique brands? Again, just trying to understand your point of reference when you mention other brands that are equal to PRS. You make that statement, at the same time you’re saying that the lower end PRS are no better than your $200 Squire, which frankly, is something most people wouldn’t agree with. But if you’re a hard core strat lover and that is just YOU in a guitar, then some Squires are pretty nice for the money. But comparing them to PRS, even SE’s, is not something most would agree with overall. Just trying to gain some perspective here.

I love it. I never got on with the baldies so much, though.
I was playing in a club in Alaska many many years ago and I witnessed a bald woman win a sexual encounter with a guy she beat in a game of pool.

No lie......only catch???? She lived in a tent. I could only speculate what the inside of that tent smelled like.

GAG!!!!

PRS guitars feel good in my hands. I think the top carve and headstock are sexy.

When I'm playing those sexy looking prs guitars it does something to me that makes me feel good. My skills are limited so anything that makes me feel good and play better is a win in my book.

As sappy as this will sound, it's kind of like my wife. She is very attractive and extremely outgoing and I enjoy being with her......makes me feel good.

What can I say?????

Just curious.

I’m just curious.

You get defensive that some people with years of experience and many brands of guitars, and even many high end brands and high end modes from the usuals (Gibson and Fedner) say that they prefer PRS over all other brands overall.
Not sure what you're talking about. I've never seemed or been defensive about people preferring any brand over another brand or being any kind of brand loyal.
So, This is putting words in my mouth a bit. I've said time and time again, whether talking about pedals, amps or guitars that I'll never be loyal to one specific brand because I like seeing what other brands have to offer at their best. This shouldn't come to a shock to you because you are already familiar enough to have known that I customize (have customized lots of) guitars. I have also stated multiple threads that, if someone finds something that works for them, good for them. If they want to create a pedalboard consisting of pedals from only one brand, ood for them. If they favor a guitar brand over another, also good for them.

I would never discourage anyone from being free to enjoy what they want, how they want. That's not me, by all means show me where I've done any of that lol I'm not interested in telling people how to spend their money. Or how to enjoy their gear. Never would.
I’ll never say that one style guitar is “right” for everyone, and I’ll never say that you should think PRS is the best brand because some people here think that.

I know this is a PRS forum, but we’re open to talk about what other guitars you have here. There are many members here who own high end Gibsons, Custom Shop Fenders, and many other high end boutique brands. What other high end guitars do you have? CS Fenders? Higher end Les Pauls? Boutique brands? Again, just trying to understand your point of reference when you mention other brands that are equal to PRS. You make that statement, at the same time you’re saying that the lower end PRS are no better than your $200 Squire, which frankly, is something most people wouldn’t agree with. But if you’re a hard core strat lover and that is just YOU in a guitar, then some Squires are pretty nice for the money. But comparing them to PRS, even SE’s, is not something most would agree with overall. Just trying to gain some perspective here.
I've never got defensive over people's experiences, I think it's the other way around. There's been alot of flip-flopping from some members about my perspectives since I've got here. And that's not because I am constantly changing my perspective but rather because people don't like what I have to say.

For example, I have stated pros and cons about Fender and members have called that hate, I've stated the pros and cons about the SE line and people try to make it seem like either I'm too inexperienced to make the call or discard the evidence of PRS' quality control issues that have been recorded and exists. I already provided you with videos, threads from this forum and other forums by other people that state exactly what I've claimed. In that same effect, I've stated what I like and don't like about Fender and that's been claimed to be hate as well. I have had nothing but good experiences with both companies but yet speaking truthfully about these experiences or desires have been tainted and twisted a bit.

My cheap Squiers are quality, they play great, sound great and feel great, despite bring affordable. You keep zero-ing on things you want to capitalize on and discard the positive in what I've said.. not sure why you're not acknowledging that I said that these Squiers that I'm comparing the SE line with are equal to Fender's low grade Mexican guitars- which are still good. Maybe you take insult to that, I don't because I don't feel the need to have loyalty to any company..

Cheaper guitars (Chinese made and the like) as we who are experienced, all know, are getting better and better. I would say never underestimate them or take a comparison to them as an insult. Which is what members here have taken my comparison as.

I already mentioned that the Poplar body, the dry Maple neck of the Silver Sky SE and the radius are similar to that of my Squier Sonic (and the average Squier strat). If I ever find or play a Fender strat with more in common, my experience and perspective may change....

Eh, what I own...
I have already posted pics and videos of my Custom Shop strats, however I stopped after I was accused of hate for Fender Custom Shop, period. I have 3 Fender Custom Shop strats, and 1 Custom Shop teles, 1 American standard strat, 2 Mexican strats, 3 Mexican teles, 1 Japanese strat, 1 Chinese strat, and 1 Korean strat. But why do I need to prove anything to people who have already made up their minds about me?

*Sarcastically* Clearly I have no experience and no idea what I'm talking about. Not only am I incapable of being able to compare the Silver Sky SE to any of those strats. Joking aside, I'm not offended at all. I just don't really care to prove anything since it's already been proven. Just because I state it that way, doesn't mean I'm offended, if I got that offended or bothered over it, I'd likely be gone from the forum. Especially since this forum doesn't have much activity anyway.

You stated in the other thread already that it's the first time you've seen someone compare the SE Silver Sky to Squiers, I showed you already that this is indeed very common and has been a thing far before I came along. You seem offended by it and for that I apologize. Don't feel like you have to white knight PRS because it's not by any means an insult to say they are like Squiers with some minor improvements.

As far as my response to this specific thread, it can't get much neutral or loving than that. If I have to elaborate for people to grasp further, it means that PRS has gained a newfound respect for me and they're as good as can get, even with brands like Fender and Gibson, and the others. I see that now.

There's alot if fanboying and white knighting on the forum which is expected because it's a PRS fan forum, so do I really believe we can discuss the good, bad and the ugly without some backlash? Not at all, already got the backlash lol That doesn't bother me though, like I said, it's kinda expected. Much like a video game console war forum :)

The real question now is, regardless of my experience, if I already proved to you that it's common (outside the walls of the forum) for people to make these comparisons vs the handful of members who hang out daily on the forum, what makes your experience mean more than mine or the people who share the same perspective as me? I'm curious. How do you measure the validation or worth of amount of experience 😆

Last edited:
If I were to ever compare my guitars to a woman it’d be like the type of relationship where we both remember how hot we both used to be, and are 100% sure we cannot get any better than each other, so we stay together but don’t bang that much anymore.
This is just another way of saying what I said with the exception of your last sentence.

If I were to ever compare my guitars to a woman it’d be like the type of relationship where we both remember how hot we both used to be, and are 100% sure we cannot get any better than each other, so we stay together but don’t bang that much anymore.
You have very accurately described my marriage. :) I still keep trying to push the limit on the banging though. :)

The best thing to think is, glad that isn't the case for me... But only if it isn't the case for you. If it is, welcome to the family. :)
Luckily it's not the case for me. I'm very lucky but puzzled at the same time.

My wife is way smarter than I am but she is extremely attracted to me and I'll never understand that.

I don't like to talk about it too much for fear she may finally realize she could have done so much better!

We're both 59 this year and we have a pretty good life. I'm soooo thankful for that!

I was playing in a club in Alaska many many years ago and I witnessed a bald woman win a sexual encounter with a guy she beat in a game of pool.

No lie......only catch???? She lived in a tent. I could only speculate what the inside of that tent smelled like.

GAG!!!!
It wasn't too bad once I got used to it. ;-)

The best thing to think is, glad that isn't the case for me... But only if it isn't the case for you. If it is, welcome to the family. :)
I'll go a step further.

On paper, my wife and I SHOULD be an absolute freakin train wreck that people can't look away from!

She is red hair Irish, very outgoing, extremely confident and very successful.

I am stubborn and determined to get what I want and need.

We have some interesting differences of opinion at times that can get very heated.

But we have wicked chemistry that brings it all home. Weird stuff.

Back