What is it with clean tones in videos?

I live in never-never land. Never truly clean-clean; never truly gnarly-dirty. Not many video demos do that well, and moreover, not many amps do that well. So there ya go.

On the other hand, I like a good rant, and the one that Serg posted to start the thread was a lot of fun to read.

One other thought that's always beleaguered me about YouTube as a place for demonstrations - and this is really quite the logic cramp - is that gear or techniques are being shown under the pretext of critical listening. And that's all well and good until you factor in how much destruction takes place. That video was likely never even exported for upload without a significant amount of compression for file size. h264 is the "idiot proof" algorithm and, unless specifically changed by the user, it will compress the audio to 128kbps stereo (maybe 192). THEN, it's uploaded to YouTube and again, the CODEC is for streamlined delivery, not fidelity. And finally, the vast majority of YouTube is consumed via mobile or laptop computers. Maybe you're listening via Bluetooth (another codec), or the hardwired headphone amp (1/8" miniplug!).

Sorry, not trying to flex my .50 words list here. The point I'm driving at, is that it's a fool's errand to evaluate the sound of something when the audio has been hacked up and reassembled so many times. Imagine pulling a plate of leftovers out of your fridge, reheating it in the microwave, and then putting it back in - but doing this four times. Or dubbing a VHS tape to another VHS tape.... to another VHS tape... and then playing it back through a cheap television. This would be a terrible way to evaluate the original source, no? Especially when the 'source' is often using cheap mics, pres, and converters to begin with.

I mean yeah, I'm corksniffing here - but this is a forum of PRS owners, where we are prone to such things.

One other thought that's always beleaguered me about YouTube as a place for demonstrations - and this is really quite the logic cramp - is that gear or techniques are being shown under the pretext of critical listening. And that's all well and good until you factor in how much destruction takes place. That video was likely never even exported for upload without a significant amount of compression for file size. h264 is the "idiot proof" algorithm and, unless specifically changed by the user, it will compress the audio to 128kbps stereo (maybe 192). THEN, it's uploaded to YouTube and again, the CODEC is for streamlined delivery, not fidelity. And finally, the vast majority of YouTube is consumed via mobile or laptop computers. Maybe you're listening via Bluetooth (another codec), or the hardwired headphone amp (1/8" miniplug!).

Sorry, not trying to flex my .50 words list here. The point I'm driving at, is that it's a fool's errand to evaluate the sound of something when the audio has been hacked up and reassembled so many times. Imagine pulling a plate of leftovers out of your fridge, reheating it in the microwave, and then putting it back in - but doing this four times. Or dubbing a VHS tape to another VHS tape.... to another VHS tape... and then playing it back through a cheap television. This would be a terrible way to evaluate the original source, no? Especially when the 'source' is often using cheap mics, pres, and converters to begin with.

I mean yeah, I'm corksniffing here - but this is a forum of PRS owners, where we are prone to such things.

And on top of all that compression and degradation the standard for evaluating gear that could cost thousands of $$$ is how a YouTube demo recorded with a phone sounds through earbuds :eek:

Make the channel you want to see. YouTube has democratized broadcast media. Anyone with a phone and a 15w light bulb has a seat at the table. Call it "TheUnderdrivenChannel" or "TeenyTinyTonyToneTown". Whatever tickles your Elmo.

Now, much as I want to take umbrage at heavy music being "unevolved", I'm really trying to make this whole "friends come in all shapes, colors, and sizes" mindset stick. I love facescraping guitar tones. And horn-thrower riffs are not necessarily devoid of technique or intelligence - nor are your examples (Van Morrison, Chic) exactly Beethoven. I'd not want this to devolve into 'your mama' jokes, just saying my peace that some of those cats are quite good (and some are not).

I do sympathize with the essence of your sentiment. Having learned audio engineering in the more 'classical' sense - not just working with tape and consoles, but having an appreciation for circuit design, mic selection and technique, etc etc etc - seeing the current state of "audio engineers" online who post endless videos about "pLugZ t0 m4kE uR 8o8z sOoOo PhAAAt" makes me itchy. These idiots couldn't solder a cable. They don't know thing bloody one about the science behind the art. And they are annoyingly self-assured.

Point being - I get where you're coming from, but be nice to metalheads. We're of a sensitive ilk. And I obsess over every note before it ever reaches your ears.

Yeah, except I didn’t say anything about metal not being evolved, and my YouTube channel is already f@ckin Bangin’!

My point is: if you’re posting a review of a product, show all the features. And if your ability is limited, just say “Eleven Rack Metal” or some s**t. Or “Mesa Mark V lead channel only for 40 mins while I toggle back and forth between Mk IIc+,Extreme,and MkIV mode and then ignore the rest of the amp” :p

I live in never-never land. Never truly clean-clean; never truly gnarly-dirty. Not many video demos do that well, and moreover, not many amps do that well. So there ya go.

On the other hand, I like a good rant, and the one that Serg posted to start the thread was a lot of fun to read.

I have a great video for you in case you were on the fence about replacing your Lonestar.

You can thank me later.

Yeah, except I didn’t say anything about metal not being evolved, and my YouTube channel is already f@ckin Bangin’!

My point is: if you’re posting a review of a product, show all the features. And if your ability is limited, just say “Eleven Rack Metal” or some s**t. Or “Mesa Mark V lead channel only for 40 mins while I toggle back and forth between Mk IIc+,Extreme,and MkIV mode and then ignore the rest of the amp” :p

This is why I play a VHT Pittbull. Nobody ever bought one of those for the sparkling cleans or spongy tweed-like classic tones.

I have a great video for you in case you were on the fence about replacing your Lonestar.

You can thank me later.

Without the Friedman pedal, the amp sounds good, and I've thought seriously about ordering one, though it's VERY similar to my Fillmore.

I'm not a fan of that pedal. Sounds horrid. Dave Friedman is a nice man, and he's from Detroit. So I kinda-oughta like him. Just not his amps and pedals. Different strokes, I guess.

Without the Friedman pedal, the amp sounds good, and I've thought seriously about ordering one, though it's VERY similar to my Fillmore.

I'm not a fan of that pedal. Sounds horrid. Dave Friedman is a nice man, and he's from Detroit. So I kinda-oughta like him. Just not his amps and pedals. Different strokes, I guess.
Lol. I was just being an @ss.

Serg,

It means you're getting old and are beginning to like life with less dirt. Unfortunately, when you get to be older than dirt, the less you like dirt. Same here, so hopefully, with good associations, you'll feel better.

Serg,

It means you're getting old and are beginning to like life with less dirt. Unfortunately, when you get to be older than dirt, the less you like dirt. Same here, so hopefully, with good associations, you'll feel better.

I must be weird. I'm older than Sergio and I still love dirt. Perhaps my wife has been right all this time, and my "emotional growth" really is "stunted."

Dang, I hope so! :p:p

Back