What happened to the 245 trend?

DK1984

PRS had for a few years created the 24.5 scale necks for some of its models, but I guess 594 is the replacement scale for those models?

I have little hands so 24.5 is ideal for me. I know the SE 245 still is produced.

I love my SC245 for its overall tone, but my DC594 did PLAY smoother. The evolution was worthy. I've got the SC245, had an MC58and a DC594. I only sold the MC and the DC because the SC is a 57/08LTD, and it's magical somehow. The other two were awesome and they'd still be here if the wife hadn't left the way she did.

What makes the 594 such a hit? Play one. The feel and tone are incredible.

Does less than tenth of an inch in over two feet really make that much difference to you? It's the difference between 1/2 and 9/16ths inches after 2 feet. I pick up a Strat and after a while I pick up a LP. Yeah, I can feel a little difference, but is doesn't make a huge difference to me. If that tenth of an inch prevents you from playing a new PRS you have very sensitive technique.

what makes them such a hit?

I think the success was more about the rest of the guitar. The LP control layout, the binding, the new pickups, the two piece bridge. Those who grew up on LPs felt right at home. I grew up on a sorry excuse for a Strat and my first real guitar was a PRS. I still prefer the PRS control layout on SC's. I may never own a 594 but it isn't the scale length, it's the control layout. I have two LP's. I like the layout there, just not on my SC's. People are funny I guess.

I agree, the scale length difference matters not at all to me. I have an '01 singlecut, 57/08 SC245 limited (I agree those are magical guitars) and a SC594. I love them all but the SC594 just feels like it's dialed in the best. Compared to the others, I prefer the 594 for the control layout, the bound neck (which I didn't think would matter until I had it), the phase III tuners (which went away on the 2020 model) and the neck carve. They're all great guitars but the 594 is a few percent better on most points.

In fairness, the two things I didn't love about the 594 were that the saddles dug into my right hand, and the bridge pickup was too damn bright. My hand toughened up as I played it more, and I finally soldered a resistor across the tone pot to lower its resistance and darken the pickup up a bit.

Back