What Happened To My Side Dot? (debate time)

watelessness

did you ever have a guitar that you haven't played in a while, and when you pick it up and start playing it you can't find the two dots for the 12th fret? Then your memory is jogged that back in the old days PRSi only came with one side dot? OMG, I'm old. But also, can we please rehash the old "12th fret dot" debate for old times' sake?
:p

Double dots is when things really started going downhill. It’s like they didn’t think I’d notice a tonal difference of them not using aluminum for the side dots anymore all because they gave me a “free” extra plastic side dot.

I ain’t no sucker.
while a plausible argument for blue guitars it doesnt apply here on the cedar top

Yep, happened to me this evening at rehearsal when I dug out my '95 CU22 LOL

I'm not saying there's a connection, but there was never a global pandemic in my lifetime when there was only one 12th fret dot.

I know what you're going to say - the second 12th fret dot came into existence years before COVID-19, but it wouldn't be the first time a supposedly innocent modification led to unintended consequences.

At one of the early PRS Forum Events, pre-Experience, this subject came up. Paul spent a good deal of time talking about it after someone asked him why there was only one dot at the 12th. I wish I could remember everything he said, but that was over 20 years ago. Basically he said he didn't need it, and didn't really think it was such a big thing.

My '06 McCarty Goldtop side markers are so small I can't see them on a dark stage, which we play often (bars or clubs with bad lighting). I put little dots of white nail polish on the neck side where the dots are, now I can see them.

My custom has 2 dots while my standard only one on the XIIth fret... I would never notice if not this tread lol

My McCarty from 2003 has the single dot on the 12th fret, it annoyed me at first, but now I can identify the 12th from the angle I view it via the top horn, and the wide winged bird inlay.

Back