Second Worst Gig Ever

GADonis

Beautifully Broken
This may go on for a bit.

The music scene here in Savannah seems to be very much geared towards "pick up" bands so on any given night any given band may have different members. A couple of days ago I was asked if I could do a fill in gig. I've done it several times before with this band and have always had a really good time. The band "leader" is a cool guy and his attitude is always "do what you do." He, like many leaders here, end up using a lot of "pick up" musicians for various gigs and he is always open to letting musicians interpret songs their way and not forcing "his way". I describe the music this band does as "blues with a punk attitude." It's blues but loud, fast and aggressive.

So I got to the gig not knowing who exactly would be on drums and bass. But there are a lot of excellent musicians here so I wasn't worried. I was even more reassured when I found out it would be his "normal" bass player and drummer. Both really good, solid musicians who know the songs and arrangements. That is somewhat important for me since I don't play the song often enough to actually retain the arrangements of all the songs. I love playing with these guys.

We get started at least 30 minutes late. Not surprising as musicians, even really good ones, aren't always the most punctual. But, the first song was a little lacking. No worries, it was the first song and it was a cold night (the band sets up next to the always open bay door). But then the second song. Before we start the song the bass player grabs a chair. I've never seen him sit down at a gig before. We start the song and I notice that the bass player drops out a couple of times. As I said earlier this bass player is very good and in the past has always been a rock. The rest of the set is pretty much more of the same. The bass player drops out and misses changes. Things are not going well. Soloing over blues changes isn't that difficult but when the bass player doesn't go to the four at the right time or completely misses the turn around, the guitar solos really sounds bad. I don't need help sounding bad. I do that just fine on my own.

Come to find out, the bass player has only had about 1 hour of sleep in the past 24 hours. Not sure exactly why but was likely due to the day job. This wasn't a "chemical" issue just an utter exhaustion issue. Of course as the night goes on it only gets worse. So he's actually falling asleep while playing. Missed changes, turnarounds, and even the occasional wrong song note progression. Really threw me off my game and my game is only mostly adequate to begin with. To add to it, I'm playing my Korina McCarty with the P90's which I haven't played in a while. I've been playing my Tele's and the 594 almost exclusively lately. For the life of me I couldn't quickly find the toggle switch to swap pickups while playing. My hand either wanted to go to the Tele position or the 594 position. I like to change pickups a fair amount while playing but doing so was a bumbling affair.

The night ended early after a shortened second set and a mostly aborted third set. So now I know what it's like to be on stage with someone in no condition to be playing. Not fun. Also, I guess I need to practice more with the McCarty to keep up the muscle memory of where the toggle switch is located.

The next time I get a call to fill in with this band, I will of course say yes as long as have an opening. And seeing the "normal" bass player's rig I will be happy and excited to play with him. But, I may offer to buy him a Red Bull.

Sounds like a stressful gig - I always want to crawl under a rock when there is an obvious mess up at a gig.
At least the bassist had a legit excuse - sure beats messing up because he's falling down drunk!

So if that’s the 2nd worst then what’s the worst gig ever?

That's an even longer story. But here is a brief summary.

Outdoor battle of the bands gig in shopping center parking lot. High school. Lack of skill at all instruments. Singer not learning words. Rest of band not actually ready for a public show either. Singer showing up tripping balls. Wind gust knocking cymbal into monitor destroying the cone. Broken string. Torrential rain. Luckily (?) this all happened in the space of two songs.

That's an even longer story. But here is a brief summary.

Outdoor battle of the bands gig in shopping center parking lot. High school. Lack of skill at all instruments. Singer not learning words. Rest of band not actually ready for a public show either. Singer showing up tripping balls. Wind gust knocking cymbal into monitor destroying the cone. Broken string. Torrential rain. Luckily (?) this all happened in the space of two songs.
Perfect storm.

My worst involved the drummer passing out, upright, on his throne.

Second worst had the drummer stand up in the middle of a song and stagger off to the bathroom. Passed out in the bathroom for 5 songs. A member of the audience sat in until Sir Pukes-a-Lot returned.

Tied with another gig where the same drummer stood up, mid song, motioned to one of his students to sit in, then ambled off to bathrooms unknown, for the rest of the show.

Honestly, I’m glad that bassist was only exhausted. I was afraid it was a worse health issue manifesting. That was my 3rd worst gig.

I was going to tell a story about the singer forgetting a complete verse to Sweet Home Alabama, but compared to Boogie, I got nothin...

I was going to tell a story about the singer forgetting a complete verse to Sweet Home Alabama, but compared to Boogie, I got nothin...
Come on, Joseph, I wanna hear your story!

passedout.jpg

It kind of sucked getting electrocuted playing in a band shell in a storm. Lightening hit the power transformer behind the shell and managed to purge through to me. No real damage, but I was tingly for a bit.

We paused for 45 minutes or so until the storm passed and finished acoustic.
And now you're the Flash?!!???

My second worst was probably with this drummer who beat the crap out of his drums nightly and would always play louder during a guitar solo. Guy had an ego too.

So one night he's bashing away and breaks his bass drum pedal at the hinge. The singer makes some off-hand comment and he loses it right there on stage. I wish I could've turned invisible.

It was the first set.

My second worst was probably with this drummer who beat the crap out of his drums nightly and would always play louder during a guitar solo. Guy had an ego too.

So one night he's bashing away and breaks his bass drum pedal at the hinge. The singer makes some off-hand comment and he loses it right there on stage. I wish I could've turned invisible.

It was the first set.
I've played with drummers that are too loud, but that's nuts.

I've played with drummers that are too loud, but that's nuts.

This guy was really unprofessional in a multitude of ways. Some of which are not appropriate to discuss on a public forum.

He was really prone to breaking things. Usually 2 sticks a night. Cymbals lasted maybe 2 months, if that. I witnessed him put the bass drum beater through an electronic head. He broke the front head of a bass drum once. The list goes on and on...

And to beat all this, he was obsessed with PRS and was constantly asking to hold mine.

Not the worst, but maybe the most amusing.

Several years ago the band I was in Played a Christmas party for the ladies Netball Association. They spent most of the night dancing on stage beside us, which wasn’t unpleasant.

However before the gig, I arrived to be greeted by the guitarist who had left both of his outside his house!

Luckily we both always brought two guitars in case of string breakages/faults etc. So disaster was avoided.

At the end of the night I went out to load my car and a couple were getting friendly with each other in a loading bay nearby. As I put the last bit of gear in my car, they were in full swing (no pun intended), him with his trousers round his ankles and her making some strange noises. I just got the heck out of there!

Not the worst, but maybe the most amusing.

Several years ago the band I was in Played a Christmas party for the ladies Netball Association. They spent most of the night dancing on stage beside us, which wasn’t unpleasant.

However before the gig, I arrived to be greeted by the guitarist who had left both of his outside his house!

Luckily we both always brought two guitars in case of string breakages/faults etc. So disaster was avoided.

At the end of the night I went out to load my car and a couple were getting friendly with each other in a loading bay nearby. As I put the last bit of gear in my car, they were in full swing (no pun intended), him with his trousers round his ankles and her making some strange noises. I just got the heck out of there!

This was the perfect opportunity for you to turn the tables. You could have yelled, “Hey, do you guys know Doggie Style? Or Reverse Cowgirl? What about Mudshark? The Zeppelin version, not Zappa’s?”

Or you could here just yelled “Freebird!!!”, which works in two levels in the UK.

Or you could have scoffed and said, “Heck, even I can do that. But can you do a solo version?”

Back