What Are Your Favorite Amps To Play?

Using an amp with a loop gives you a choice of textures - loop or front-of-amp. More is won than lost IMO.
Using an amp with a switchable loop - in the circuit, or out of it completely - is even better.

I was genuinely surprised when I switched the loop and other extra circuitry out of the Lone Star. It improved the tone of the amp noticeably. Granted, what one person listens for and notices as an improvement might not make much, if any, difference to someone else.

Of course, if I ever want to have the additional circuits back in, flick two toggle switches, and boom! They're back.

Nice to have that choice.

Seems to me if someone wants a loop, there's nothing to lose if it's switchable, and for players who don't need a loop, there's everything to gain. It'd be a win for everyone.

The Mark VII sounds great, at least in demos (I haven't seen one in person). Good choice!

I think most Marks have always had effects loops; my Mark V certainly did, and in fact, all of my Mesas have had them since the early '90s.

However, a lot of us old-schoolers prefer not to use effects loops, and even run delays and reverbs into the front of the amp. Any extra circuitry veils the sound on any amp, it's just a matter of degree.

Plenty of the best recordings in history were done with reverbs and delays going straight into the front of the amp, no loops. And that's still the case for lots of recording players (I make my living in the studio and have worked with a ton of great session folks).

So there are valid choices in having loops, or not having loops, and it's a very personal matter.

Of course my choice doesn't mean that the old school approach is for everyone. Clearly, it isn't, and there's nothing wrong with using an effects loop. It's a choice among many choices we make when we use our rigs.

The PRS amps I have - HXDA and DG30 - were costly amps, but were purposely made without effects loops to keep the tone more pure, and I absolutely would NOT change a thing on either of those amps. They were designed to compete with vintage amps, and as far as I'm concerned, one thing necessary to accomplish that is to eliminate the idea of an effects loop and any other non-essential circuitry. Vintage amps didn't have them, and one reason they're revered is how good they are at revealing what the guitar sounds like. Eliminating the effects loop helps.

It's the same with master volumes; they add another veil to the tone. That's why the USA made Hendrix PRS amps don't have them. The less circuitry, the better for many players.

Sometimes there are incompatibilities with outboard gear that create noise using loops as well.

Dumble used to make a contraption called a Dumbleator to allow his amps' effect loops to interface with outboard gear, due to possible mismatches in impedance, levels, etc.. that create noise. This device eliminated that problem, and it was a separate, single rackspace piece of gear that was pretty costly!

I don't use the effects loops on the two Mesas I have that have them - that's by choice.

My Mesa Lone Star has a feature that allows the effect loop and global master volume to be completely switched out of the circuit. The amp sounds a lot better (to me) without the loop in the circuit, so I keep it switched out.

It's great to have the choice of removing stuff that affects tone with a switch, and it really allows the player to hear what the extra circuitry does to the tone. The Lone Star also allows an extra gain stage in the lead channel to be switched out of the circuit, and there, too, switching it out gives the amp a more transparent, less woolly tone.

Interestingly, my son has toured with a Lone Star for years with several popular bands, and I didn't previously know it, but he keeps his effects loop switched off, too.

Maybe it's genetic. 🤣
Its about personal preferences but offering a player the option of using the effect loop is a plus. If you choose to use it, is another matter.

Regarding a master volume, I don't see any negative thing about having one on an amp for me. Protecting my ears and being able to get good over drive at a low volume is important, plus people in my home and neighbors appreciate it. Needing to put an amp on volume 10 and get the speakers moving......not my thing. In 2024, amps that don't have a master volume, many people are getting an attenuator like the Universal Audio unit that is quite popular. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Universal-Audio/OX-Amp-Top-Box-Reactive-Load-Box-1500000141822.gc

Its about personal preferences but offering a player the option of using the effect loop is a plus. If you choose to use it, is another matter.

Regarding a master volume, I don't see any negative thing about having one on an amp for me. Protecting my ears and being able to get good over drive at a low volume is important, plus people in my home and neighbors appreciate it. Needing to put an amp on volume 10 and get the speakers moving......not my thing. In 2024, amps that don't have a master volume, many people are getting an attenuator like the Universal Audio unit that is quite popular. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Universal-Audio/OX-Amp-Top-Box-Reactive-Load-Box-1500000141822.gc
First, in case I haven't answered above - Favorites, are what I have. Kemper Stage and Kemper Powered Kabinet, and a little Mesa Mkv25. I had a Fender GTX100 as well that was surprisingly cool.

I agree with @Revelation above. Les is old school, extremely particular about tone, and has a place to utilize loud if necessary. I'm old school, I'm learning about tone, and I do not have a place to utilize loud. I use a Fryette PS-2. The UA OX Box as noted, the Suhr, the PS-2, the Fryette load box, rock crusher, iron man and all the others out there, heck even the $120 Bugera thingie does the job (I tried it before I got the PS-2. It's "adequate"). These all work quite well. I use either the Kemper, where I need none of the faff noted, or a little Mesa mkv25 with master volume for each channel that goes from essentially inaudible to L.A.F. in a hair's width turn, essentially without stopping at "quiet listenable" (ok, maybe that's exaggerating. A little). The PS-2 works well here, though it is essentially turning on another tube amp, and there are two cooling fans going (I think the PS-2 has a cooling fan, could be dreaming this part). I've also found that the JHS "Little Black Amp Box," which is a nicely boxed volume knob that goes in the loop at the end, works a charm also.

I'll also throw out there, that I'm a newbie player with enough disposable income to buy the few nice things noted above to support a newer hobby. If you have experience other than mine, trust yours - I'm just starting to figure out what works for me!

That's certainly true.

Plus, any "veiling" is something I've managed to work around/ not worry about ever since the MkIIC+ came out. Before that, I was using the loop on IIAs and IIBs, and just sticking a drive pedal in front when necessary to get more "oomph", rather than relying on their lead channels.

....many people are getting an attenuator like the Universal Audio unit that is quite popular.

It's better as a converter IME. Judged purely as an attenuator it's not doing its best work, especially when compared to both my Aracom and Suhr.

Last edited:

You're so right, it is definitely about preferences!

I figure one purpose of the forum is for all of us to express our preferences, and explain why we have them.

That's why I blather on. I'm really not trying to talk anyone out of their preferences, just expounding on mine. I always say my posts are about my beliefs, they aren't prescriptions for anyone else.

The OX is ubiquitous in studio-land; it's a great product, though I don't have one because I only record my own music for ads and film work. I can crank my amps when I want to without anyone complaining. In any case, I don't play with all that much gain, so I don't need to blow out the walls to get my tone.

From time to time I consider getting an OX despite not really needing it all that much. I rely on Universal Audio gear, because it's usually excellent stuff.

Nonetheless, given my 'druthers, I want to hear my carefully curated speaker cabs in my room, in front of my collection of mics, and not someone else's idea of great tone even if it's very good.

I can capture as much of the room reflections in a room as I want - by combining mics, or simply by judicious mic placement. That's a nice thing. There aren't unpleasant surprises when I play back a track. How often do we hear that a recording sounded nothing like a player's amp in the room? What reaches our ears is largely reflected sound caused by room boundaries. Most recordists put the mic up against the grille, but that's not how we listen to our amps (one hopes!).

Because my amps are used mostly for recording, I wear headphones when cutting tracks, and I keep the amps about 20 feet away from my workstation. the headphones I use are pretty effective at blocking ambient sound pressure and allowing me to hear the amps at reasonable, safe levels (using the OSHA noise regulations as a rule of thumb).

What reaches my ears isn't all that loud.

I do have custom-molded Westone 15 dB reduction ear plugs, and I use them as needed. They're with me 24/7. I wear them at concerts, for practicing if there's going to be volume, etc., when session folks I hire need to be louder than I might like, when setting up mics, and so on.

Other than adding color to the signal, there's nothing wrong with a master volume; it's a choice, as you say. Works for most, doesn't work for a few.

One thing I dislike about most Masters is that with the master pulling the volume down, the preamp tubes are left to do all the heavy lifting, and preamp tubes sound different when pushed than power tubes.

I find them fizzy. Not a deal breaker for some, but a definite deal breaker for a minority of folks who aren't looking for that kind of sound.

I'd say it's good for a manufacturer to make choices about their products that they think makes the gear sound better; more power to them. The more manufacturers water down their product to try to please everyone, the less unique personality they seem to have. Just my experience.

Given the number of excellent amp choices on the market, it's pretty easy for people to find exactly what suits them. Not having a loop is a deal breaker? No problem - vote with your wallet and choose something else. Simple!

Last edited:
It's a Fender day
Wifey is already screaming turn it down
Why don't she just understand it don't break up right when its quiet?
A pinch of Cornish CC-1 and/or SS-3, together with a light dusting of reverb, is like fine cuisine: practically guaranteed to restore domestic harmony.

The money spent on them may undo that domestic bliss all over again, of course :oops:

Gotta go with my Marshall JVM215C. It just does everything. 2 channels for clean and high gain, 3 separate levels for each channel (making it basically 6 amps in one, able to do everything from blues to metal), has reverb, effects loop, and a 6 button pedal that can not only save all your sounds, but also can switch to allow for volume up/down, effects on/off, and channel switching all from the pedal without having to ever touch the dials. Ive yet to see an amp that offers that much anywhere near the price it sells for, especially now that Marshall just dropped their prices by 30-40%. Plus its of the very few amps that still sounds amazing with low volume (I'm in an apartment), because of the separate master volumes for each channel. Want that killer all tube sound at apartment level volume? Keep the master volume low and raise that gain....beautiful 😉🤘🏻

A pinch of Cornish CC-1 and/or SS-3, together with a light dusting of reverb, is like fine cuisine: practically guaranteed to restore domestic harmony.

The money spent on them may undo that domestic bliss all over again, of course :oops:
So All Is Even...No Loss. That Is A Beautiful Thing! :)

Back