Volume and tone problems

Tadge

Hi all, i have recently bought a zach myers se model, 2nd hand but guy had for 6 months from new.
Problem is the volume and tone pots. Volume hardly increases until at around 8 and then its 'on'. Not a linear increase. All my other guitars, even much cheaper ones have a linear increase.
Also when in middle position, if one volume is fully down then there is no output at all. Turn one pot up slightly an and then an output. My epiphone you can turn both volumes fully down and each volume works independently.
Is this a PRS thing?
Not very impressed with these issues given the cost of the guitar. Cheers

To answer the second part of your question, yes. When you turn either volumn down, both pickups shut off. It is a PRS thing. My SE245 did the same thing.

Just guessing on the first question, but something may have been wired wrong or poorly soldered either at the factory or by the guy you bought it from, if he changed something.

To answer the second part of your question, yes. When you turn either volumn down, both pickups shut off. It is a PRS thing. My SE245 did the same thing.

Just guessing on the first question, but something may have been wired wrong or poorly soldered either at the factory or by the guy you bought it from, if he changed something.
Ok cheers. Dont like the prs thing in that case. The guy had brand new from shop and did not touch it. Just wondering if pots ain't very good, if so will they need changed? Still pretty disappointing as after much research didnt expect this from prs . cheers

Hi all, i have recently bought a zach myers se model, 2nd hand but guy had for 6 months from new.
Problem is the volume and tone pots. Volume hardly increases until at around 8 and then its 'on'. Not a linear increase. All my other guitars, even much cheaper ones have a linear increase.
Also when in middle position, if one volume is fully down then there is no output at all. Turn one pot up slightly an and then an output. My epiphone you can turn both volumes fully down and each volume works independently.
Is this a PRS thing?
Not very impressed with these issues given the cost of the guitar. Cheers

I don't have a zach myers but the volume down is pretty normal for LP style wiring.in middle position because the wiring is in parallel.

I don't have a zach myers but the volume down is pretty normal for LP style wiring.in middle position because the wiring is in parallel.
I have epiphone lp and vintage lp and both work volume independently. Just the prs needs both on slightly or no sound output.

Thanks. So will live with center position. But is pot no good if the volume doesn't taper smoothly until no 8 positing when it just jumps on?

Different people like different tapers, I don't get the others that like the opposite of me either.

For me, this also applies to treble bleed caps. For me they are a must - others don't like them. To me it makes no sense....

All easily changed for very little $$

Different people like different tapers, I don't get the others that like the opposite of me either.

For me, this also applies to treble bleed caps. For me they are a must - others don't like them. To me it makes no sense....

All easily changed for very little $$
Thanks. Will do some digging on new pots. What does the treble bleed do?

The treble bleed cap allows you to maintain your tone as you roll off volume. Without it the tone darkens - Gibsons usually are like this.

Thanks. Will do some digging on new pots. What does the treble bleed do?

It sounds like you'd like a linear pot. I'd upgrade to a linear CTS 500k but that'll require you to ream the hole a little for the larger diameter shaft and different knobs. If you went with the asian variety Alpha instead of CTS its a direct swap.

Here's a couple pics of CTS vs Alpha. Alpha pots aren't bad pots at all but you can feel, see, and hear a difference between the two. For ease of swap Alpha all the way, especially to find out if your ears actually like linear. It's a pretty quick and easy job with a soldering iron.

Copy-of-20201110_224118a386d22a48bcf94b.jpg

Copy-of-20201110_224111d3ac57d1f4f3b7ce.jpg

Thanks. Yes its becoming clearer now after great answers and research. I dont want to change knobs. Do they not fit cts? Cheers

Thanks. Yes its becoming clearer now after great answers and research. I dont want to change knobs. Do they not fit cts? Cheers

No they do not, different shafts. Check out the pic above and remove a knob.

Back