V12 Cleaning

RocknPop

This question is probably in an FAQ somewhere but I can't find it.

What do I use to clean the V12 finish on my Signature Limited? Is it ok to use Dunlop formula 65?

The first and safest thing to use is a damp, not wet, microfiber cloth to just wipe it down and dry the guitar immediately.

Every so often I use PRS Guitar Cleaner, as it's non-abrasive and used simply to remove gunk and leave a nice shine. I also use this with a microfiber polishing cloth like these:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/micro+fiber+speed+shine+cloths+set+of+3.do?sortby=ourPicks

A good microfiber cloth won't scratch. These are very thick and are the best I've used. I find them far less likely to cause swirls than even a pure cotton cloth. There's a lot of good polishing info on the Griot's site.

All this said, I have no idea what's in the Dunlop stuff. If it's a white polish, it's got abrasives in it, and I'd avoid those unless your guitar has scratches that need to be removed.

I have always used Martin Guitar Polish......is this a bad thing on a PRS with the V12?

Beats me. Who knows what's in any of this stuff? No one's saying on their bottle. So I figure it this way:

For all of seven dollars, I can buy a bottle of PRS cleaner for a $4000 PRS guitar, and know that if there's a problem, it's not going to be a case of one company pointing the finger at another company. PRS is going to take care of it.

You're not going to hear, "Well, we specifically recommended that you use our cleaner, and you didn't."

Or I can use something else and take my chances.

Edit: I forgot to mention something. I've been using this stuff for years, on nitro PRSes, poly PRSes and V12, and have had no problems, no dulling, no scratching, no clouding. Leaves a nice shine, and doesn't leave the kind of shine that's greasy. So there's that.

My method in using it is to get a little on a microfiber cloth, apply it sparingly (a little goes a long way) and then wipe it off with a soft dry chamois or a clean microfiber cloth, though I kind of prefer the chamois. No rubbing is necessary, a single wipe does it. I like that, since the more one rubs a finish with an object, the more the finish abrades (if only microscopically at first), and eventually dulls.

And yes, I know, I'm way nutty about finish care.

Last edited:
Beats me. Who knows what's in any of this stuff? No one's saying on their bottle. So I figure it this way:

For all of seven dollars, I can buy a bottle of PRS cleaner for a $4000 PRS guitar, and know that if there's a problem, it's not going to be a case of one company pointing the finger at another company. PRS is going to take care of it.

You're not going to hear, "Well, we specifically recommended that you use our cleaner, and you didn't."

Or I can use something else and take my chances.

Edit: I forgot to mention something. I've been using this stuff for years, on nitro PRSes, poly PRSes and V12, and have had no problems, no dulling, no scratching, no clouding. Leaves a nice shine, and doesn't leave the kind of shine that's greasy. So there's that.

My method in using it is to get a little on a microfiber cloth, apply it sparingly (a little goes a long way) and then wipe it off with a soft dry chamois or a clean microfiber cloth, though I kind of prefer the chamois. No rubbing is necessary, a single wipe does it. I like that, since the more one rubs a finish with an object, the more the finish abrades (if only microscopically at first), and eventually dulls.

And yes, I know, I'm way nutty about finish care.

Make sure you read the paperwork that comes with your PRS closely as well as the bottle of the PRS polish. I remember reading on one of them that PRS specifically tells you NOT to use their polish on their Nitro finishes.

Make sure you read the paperwork that comes with your PRS closely as well as the bottle of the PRS polish. I remember reading on one of them that PRS specifically tells you NOT to use their polish on their Nitro finishes.

I was not talking about the polish, I was talking about the Cleaner. The Cleaner is safe for all finishes.

Back