Upgraded My 2016 CE24 Bridge

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
So during my gushing posts over the new CE24, I said how great the guitar was out of the box. I also indicated that I would probably upgrade the bridge.

PRS's decision to use the tried and true SE Tremolo as a cost-saving measure was a smart one. Out of the box, I can honestly say that tone, sustain, and stability wise, the 2016 CE24 can sit alongside any PRS in my stable. Which is a pretty damn nice stable, I am blessed to say.

I had such a great experience with John Mann's MannMade 2300 adjustable stoptail upgrade on my 2000 CU22 SH that I just had to see how much better the new CE24 would be with a new bridge. So I ordered me a MannMade 2000NOS, which is a one-piece cast done from the original Mil-Com molds from back in Annapolis (and pre) days.

Out of the box, the MannMade unit is a splendid machine. And it weighs in at 1.8oz more than the stock SE unit (both measured with saddles) - not sure how much of that weight difference is the bridge itself vs. the saddles. Science (and my patience) have limits, ya know...

ANYWAY, I have messed around with many a trem on many a PRS before. I watched John's video twice prior to beginning. The whole process took me about 90 minutes, including the restringing, and adjusting the saddles for height & intonation. The hardest part was getting the new springs into the holes on the trem - the ends are bent a bit, to make sure they are snug, and as on John's video, I had to give them a little love tap or fifteen to get them in. But overall, easy as...pie. Y'all should try it sometime.

AFTER PICS: (and I am sorry I did not take comparable before pics)

SHINY!
NOS2000-1_zpsd1hfv6to.jpg

AMBER LIKES HER NEW BLING!
NOS2000-2_zps3ul1t19o.jpg

NO MORE BLACK THROUGH THE BACK!

NOS2000-3_zpsvxu025vv.jpg

TEH SOUNDZ:

OK, so I admit, I was going to take Les' post to heart, and do some before and after sound clips. I did allow my fear of public suckage playing to enable my laziness gene to take over the project. Plus it was so SHINY...it just HAD to go on ASAP! So you'll have to take my word on my words.

I had to change strings; I used the same strings (D'Addario NYXL .10-.46) before and after, and they are very consistent. Guitar to cable to amp.

TONE: there is a little more push in the midrange, but also a bit more down the bottom. The split tones were already great; this brought those tones out a bit more. In addition, there is a slight but perceivable increase in clarity of chords with high gain - you can hear individual strings even more clearly. There also seems to be more things going on with the harmonics.

SUSTAIN: definitely an additional 1 to 1.5 seconds or so overall in general. Notes on the dusty end of the fretboard receive the most immediately noticeable benefit.

STABILITY: too soon to tell, but I anticipate no issues with this at all. My CE honestly seems to be less affected by climate changes than most of my other PRSes for some reason. It never needs more than a little tweak despite the ups and downs in temperatures here that have had my guitars in general need frequent adjustment. If I notice any issues, I will update y'all.

CONCLUSION: John Mann knows his stuff, and makes a hell of a product. The new CE24 looks, sounds and plays 100% core out of the box. It doesn't need an upgrade - PRS did the redux proud. However, if you are so inclined, the MannMade NOS2000 will take your the CE24 to 11...maybe even 12! And it really wasn't difficult to install at all.

Note: This is not an advertisement / endorsement. I paid full retail price for my bridge. Although John and Roxanne do give you lots of nice stickers and stuff :)

Big time +1 on this upgrade Carl. I have two of those NOS trems for my 2 projects (hopefully finished sometime in the near future). They are indeed shiny, and I'll gush over them just like you. Great stuff, from great peeps. A hearty well done my man! Love that CE!!

I did the same upgrade on my SE CU24 30th and agree with all of your observations. Biggest noticeable difference for me was there was definitely more going on with the split tones.

Very nice on a very nice guitar. I was thinking of one for my CE 22. How hard was it to install and get the setup right. I'm a bit afraid of upsetting the current setup which is working out very well right now.

OK I've got to ask and I hope I get good answers.
What's the point of the Mann Made bridge? Or the Wudtone? Or any other bridge?
--> Are they "better" than the stock core model bridges? If so, why?

I see people changing pups, bridges, frets, nuts, and I'm like "woah there, is this really needed - I just paid a fortune for this thing."
What's the main benefit of this Mann Made bridge? Could you have bought a core model bridge?

Very nice on a very nice guitar. I was thinking of one for my CE 22. How hard was it to install and get the setup right. I'm a bit afraid of upsetting the current setup which is working out very well right now.

I am not an expert, but I have messed around with many PRS, Fender and Ibanez trems over the years. If you follow the instructional video, it's really a very straightforward process. Including little tweaks, it was about 90 minutes, and I really took my time.

If you're not used to setting up your guitar yourself, I would recommend taking it to a good tech.

I see people changing pups, bridges, frets, nuts, and I'm like "woah there, is this really needed - I just paid a fortune for this thing."
What's the main benefit of this Mann Made bridge? Could you have bought a core model bridge?

The bridge that comes on the new CE24 is the one from the SE line, not the core line. It's the same exact design, but the materials are different. The core bridge materials seem more substantial, and following the "rules of tone" I have to believe that has some impact on the equation.

The PRS Core bridge is about $100 more than the MannMade 2000NOS. The 2000NOS is the same one-piece MilCom bridge from the 1991 & prior PRSes, made from bronze from the original casting. The saddles are also now polished as with the very first PRS trems as well. I love John's products, and I love the way the old MilCom bridges sound on my old CEs. So I decided that was the way to go.

My 2016 CE24 didn't NEED an upgrade, but I wanted to, and I am glad I did. Hope that helps.

Most are are upgrading the SE bridge to the MannMade.
The SE bridge is designed around the core bridge but uses different materials.
SE has a separate plate and block. The plate is cast and the block is steel.
MannMade is a single piece machined from brass.
The Mannmade is also less expensive than the core model bridge.
The SE bridge is a fine bridge and does the job well. The Mann bridge isn't "better" just different and is much closer to the characteristics of the core model bridge.

Many stop-tail core players do upgrade to the MannMade 2300 wraparound because it has adjustable saddles and the PRS stop-tail doesn't.
It is also less expensive than the PRS adjustable stop-tail.

I have Mann bridges on both my PRSi (one SE and one S2) and I think it gets them closer to sounding and feeling like a core guitar at a fraction of the cost.
I plan to get a core PRS for my next guitar and will most likely keep it completely stock unless it has the non-adjustable stop-tail.

Btw Amber can be seen in all of her (pre-upgraded) glory on p.21 of the latest Spring 2016 Sweetwater ProGear catalog :)

Good stuff Carl! I'd like to try one of the stoptails one of these days.

Back