Ugh, Private Stock wait...

Roger Roy

Well, got myself all worked up and finally decided I wanted to order my own spec'd PS. Thought about it the past couple days, convinced myself that I would sell my Gibson True Historic to cover the brunt of the cost. Called a dealer today,talked it over and then he says they're quoting out to January...is that right? Last year I checked it was at 3 months, have they really got that backed up? I was kind of disappointed, a lot can happen in 8 months when you want to invest that kind of money into a guitar

Yeezh. I have no idea, but they're doing a PS GOTM every month until December, so maybe they're accounting for that.

GOTM 2016 is definitely to blame, and perhaps the dept is just getting more orders in than normal. Or maybe the dept shrunk, who knows. However long it takes, it's worth the wait.

It seems they are doing a lot more PS builds in general (look at the numbers on PSF...5000 wasn't that long ago and they're now approaching 6500). Combine that with the GOTM and that's a lot of PS guitars in the queue!

Actually, most of my custom ordered guitars from various companies have taken over a year. 7 months does not seem like that long a time in the scheme of things. ymmv

Supply and demand at its best.
I agree the guitar of the month is impacting deliveries. They are also probably building now for Experience. And history shows there are likely to be an uptick of orders placed around experience when dealers are visiting anyway - and lots of customers. Then they have to allow capacity for whatever goodies they want to take to NAMM next year.
It all adds up to the guitar, you're still thinking of ordering slotting in after all of that.

But thanks for the tip that the rest of us who might be thinking of an order for a special occasion have to start planning a bit further ahead than we are used to.

Well, got myself all worked up and finally decided I wanted to order my own spec'd PS. Thought about it the past couple days, convinced myself that I would sell my Gibson True Historic to cover the brunt of the cost. Called a dealer today,talked it over and then he says they're quoting out to January...is that right? Last year I checked it was at 3 months, have they really got that backed up? I was kind of disappointed, a lot can happen in 8 months when you want to invest that kind of money into a guitar

Hang in there, man. Just spec'd #6478 on Monday. January '17 is what I've been told. The reasons these guys listed above are the long and short of it.

Supply and demand at its best.
I agree the guitar of the month is impacting deliveries. They are also probably building now for Experience. And history shows there are likely to be an uptick of orders placed around experience when dealers are visiting anyway - and lots of customers. Then they have to allow capacity for whatever goodies they want to take to NAMM next year.
It all adds up to the guitar, you're still thinking of ordering slotting in after all of that.

But thanks for the tip that the rest of us who might be thinking of an order for a special occasion have to start planning a bit further ahead than we are used to.
Well, not all of it, those who've ordered after this guy will probably get it after this guy, neh? I.E., those who order anew at or around Experience.

The wait of the build wouldn't bother me in the slightest knowing the build time.
It's the wait when its built, bought, and payed for that would have me climbing the walls.

I waited a similar amount of time for my Tom Anderson Mongrel. Totally worth the wait. Plus, the anticipation is a great feeling, like Christmas is coming for half a year.

Also, it took me close to a year to even spec the Anderson. I changed it significantly over that time, and in the end it's perfect. So by comparison, the build time wasn't that much.

I don't know your dealer, but different dealers have different ways of managing expectations. Every time I have purchased a PS build I was told 4-6 months. Every time is was delivered in 3-4. The January quote seems a bit longer than usual, but it's difficult to comment without knowing more details. I've always felt PS was quick. I almost always wait longer when buying from other builders.

It seems they are doing a lot more PS builds in general (look at the numbers on PSF...5000 wasn't that long ago and they're now approaching 6500). Combine that with the GOTM and that's a lot of PS guitars in the queue!

Remember back when the PRS book index listed the few PS numbers and most of their owners?... o_O

Don't understand why theres any reason to be rude on a forum. Dont like the topic, dont read it

I didn't think my post was in the least bit rude.

The wait is what it is. If you can't wait, don't buy one. It's not like you or anyone else is going to accomplish or learn anything from posting a complaint about PS waits.

Back