Tuner button issues

Bowtiefanatc

Confirmed Bird Snob
Hi Everyone,

I have an interesting dilemma that I'm trying to help a buddy of mine with.

I gave him the gold tuner buttons off of my 2004 Custom 24 Brazilian edition and he tried to put them on his 2008 Core Mira but said that they wouldn't go on at all. However, they did fit perfectly on his (roughly same era) Custom 24.

Didn't pretty much all Core models in the mid-2008's have Phase II tuners? If we find replacement tuner buttons that are for Phase II, shouldn't they work on his Mira as well?

Thanks for the help!

If I remember right, Phase II keys were originally made by Schaller, but then PRS switched over to Gotoh at some point. Those two companies use a different button.

The original Phase II had plated shafts and small buttons, while later ones have unplated shafts and large buttons. Not sure if that marks the manufacturing switch or not.

Is replacing the tuner buttons as simple as just removing the screw, removing the button, replacing the button, inserting the screw?

Is replacing the tuner buttons as simple as just removing the screw, removing the button, replacing the button, inserting the screw?

Just make sure your strings are off as well. Some of us have tried to do this after the string change to mixed results.... :(o_O

Back