Trem system from 2007

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
I have had several PRS guitars over the years and tend to stick to the stop bar tail piece. I have only had one that had the trem and it was blocked, pretty much from the beginning, so I really have NO experience with PRS trem systems. I know that over the years there have been some tweaks to it to improve stability, intonation, etc.

My question is, how good were those systems on the 2007 core guitars. I am asking because I am waiting on one to come in on Friday that has the trem. I wouldn't say that I am "nervous" about it, but I AM unfamiliar with them. How stable are they? Are they decked typically? Or are they generally set up to float from the factory? Is there a dramatic sustain or tone difference between them and the stop bar tail pieces?

Not that I would be doing a lot of dive bombs or spend more time wiggling than picking, and I could always block it off if I don't like it, but I am wondering what I am getting myself into.

Thanks for you guys' time.

(and of course, a pic of the incoming fiddle for interest)

l7nxdbo5ifnofoc7a6yr.jpg

They're great. Rarely decked. You can block it if you like, but there's really nothing to worry about as long as it's in good shape and properly seated on the 6 screws.

I have had several PRS guitars over the years and tend to stick to the stop bar tail piece. I have only had one that had the trem and it was blocked, pretty much from the beginning, so I really have NO experience with PRS trem systems. I know that over the years there have been some tweaks to it to improve stability, intonation, etc.

My question is, how good were those systems on the 2007 core guitars. I am asking because I am waiting on one to come in on Friday that has the trem. I wouldn't say that I am "nervous" about it, but I AM unfamiliar with them. How stable are they? Are they decked typically? Or are they generally set up to float from the factory? Is there a dramatic sustain or tone difference between them and the stop bar tail pieces?

Not that I would be doing a lot of dive bombs or spend more time wiggling than picking, and I could always block it off if I don't like it, but I am wondering what I am getting myself into.

Thanks for you guys' time.

(and of course, a pic of the incoming fiddle for interest)

l7nxdbo5ifnofoc7a6yr.jpg

If you can’t get along with it just let me know. I still have a piece of mahogany from a previous PRS that someone decked. I’ll send it to you.

Stability is up to the player. If you set it up right, do the maintenance, and tune up properly, it’s rock-solid. In my haste I can get the DGT into hot mess mode pretty easily, but that’s not the guitar’s fault. Then I start whammy-ing the crap out of it and make myself insane. But like was mentioned, the tone is worth all of the extra effort.

Tremolos are fine if they’re left alone also. If you put all five springs on it and set it up so it’s floating and level, your can just let it be, like a non-trem bridge. If you want.

I find a trem bridge gives a little more sustain and think of the trem rout as another resonance chamber.

Tremolos are fine if they’re left alone also. If you put all five springs on it and set it up so it’s floating and level, your can just let it be, like a non-trem bridge. If you want.
^That!^

If you don’t like it, don’t stick your arm in. (Words to live by)

Ignore the trem — it won’t bother you.

My issue is that I don't know that I play well enough for a lot of extra "Effort" :(
If you enjoyed the journey, it was worth the effort. If you’re like me, you’ll never be good enough, so draw benefit from learning more about your instrument. The difference between a good guitar and a great guitar is a huge benefit that every guitarist, regardless of playing level, deserves.

Alas, and alack. I suffer from extreme whammy madness. Set it up and live with it for a month before you make any decisions. Worse comes to worse, drive down my way and I’ll do it. Whatever you do, DON’T TURN THE TREM SCREWS WITH THE SPRINGS CONNECTED. It’s not that big of a deal once you get over your fear. The big thing about a trem to me, is that you can make noises you can’t make any other way. That’s what got me started.

Alas, and alack. I suffer from extreme whammy madness. Set it up and live with it for a month before you make any decisions. Worse comes to worse, drive down my way and I’ll do it. Whatever you do, DON’T TURN THE TREM SCREWS WITH THE SPRINGS CONNECTED. It’s not that big of a deal once you get over your fear. The big thing about a trem to me, is that you can make noises you can’t make any other way. That’s what got me started.

There's nothing wrong with turning the claw screws with the springs connected, just don't have the strings at full tension. It's an elegant dance.

David Grissom said the trem gave his guitar a little natural reverb. Me, I love the trem. I don't go crazy with it (and I wish I knew some of the whammy tricks that so many do so well), but I find myself reaching for it when I play a stop tail.

As said above, you're getting a good, stable trem. Live with it a while and see how you like it. A little wiggle every now and then never hurt anyone. You don't have to go all Jeff Beck on it, but it's a nice flavor to have in your arsenal.

Back