Tonepros issues.

sergiodeblanc

Alright, I ended my second "D.O.A.D." thread because I felt as though there were too many little issues with my drunkenly purchased SE Nick Cantanese,
it really stemmed from me bringing this guitar to a session a little too early before spending enough time with it. I don't want to be a wuss, and would like to try to salvage the project but I'm having trouble with the bridge and I'm looking for advise.

The issue I am encountering with the bridge is that while bending notes in the upper register, the strings pop out of the grooves in the saddles, making a noticeable "ping" sound. It's not to bad when played with distortion, but I'm a mostly clean player and can't justify having a guitar for only one style of playing.

The action on this guitar is almost perfect. I know I could get new saddles, or cut deeper ones in the existing saddles, but I'm worried about the amount of clearance between the existing saddles and the bridge itself, it's really close!

Anybody have any other ideas? I'm not real crazy about the feel of the PRS compensated bridge, but the grooves seem to keep the strings from jiggling like they do on this one. I "mow my own lawn" when it comes to tech stuff (for better or for worse :D) and don't want to give up quite yet, as I feel this is a really cool and well put together guitar.

Here is a pic, and you know I'm serious about it because I worked really hard to get a clear photo of it. (not my usual "bigfoot sighting" pictures)

BTW this was a used guitar, has no warranty, and I haven't messed with anything yet besides putting on a fresh set of .10's.
Thanks!

Hey Sergio, any chance you can get a photo from the side?

Does look like the strings are touching the bridge... You'd have thought the tension alone would have been enough to keep them in their slots. Does the bridge look like it's leaning on the posts rather than fairly parallel?

I don't know, Man. It looks like those string thingies should go in the slot thingies. Just sayin'.

Have you thought about a non-adjustable PRS bridge? I love 'em.

Don't know if it's just the angle of the photo but the strings should be sitting comfortably above the grooves in the bridge. (Compared to other photos).

Could be wrong- probably am - but it's almost like the bridge has a lean to it

Could be wrong- probably am - but it's almost like the bridge has a lean to it

I agree... it's almost like the bridge is tilted in a horizontal direction, so that the strings are exiting at an odd angle. Maybe try adjusting the small hex screws that change the overall bridge angle, and see if you can get the strings to line up with the slots better. Of course, you'll have to compensate each saddle for intonation, but it might work. Does it have the locking studs?

The B string on my SE with a Tonepros pops out of the slot regularly, but not nearly as far as what you're seeing. I was a little concerned at first but it doesn't change the action or string height, so I just let it ride.

Here is a side shot, it's got the locking studs and as you can see from the first photo above, it's locked down tight! (The guy I got it from must have used a smallerish screwdriver as you can see how he kind of dug in to the studs)

In the top photo it looks like there's grooves in the edge of the bridge nearest to the pup. Is that actual grooves or just a reflection of the string?

Two things I notice is that the bridge appears to lean back which may be why there's so little clearance between the string and edge of bridge.

The other is that the high E side of the bridge is set much further back on the post than the low E side which seems to be fully engaged against the post. This may explain the strings popping out of the slot.

Did the seller provide the Tonepros adjustment wrench? I'm guessing not considering he used what looks like a screwdriver for adjustments....

It's just a reflection, but I seriously got up and checked after seeing the first pic also.

I may just disassemble the whole thing and start again, and no, he didn't include the tool, I checked the whole compartment in the bag and no luck. He was however thoughtful enough to include a floyd rose arm! Anybody need a black floyd arm?

It's a known issue that the tone pros bridge does have very shallow saddle grooves and it can cause problems with the string popping out of the groove. You might be able to cut the grooves slightly deeper without causing the strings to rest on the bridge.

Also remember, you have to unlock the studs from under the bridge. If you try to simply raise of lower the bridge from twisting the stud (screwdriver head) you will probably snap off the head of the stud. This may be the way the studs were damaged by the other owner.

Yo! I have a US-made PRS bridge I'll send you if you're ok with fixed intonation. Lemme know and I'll mail it out tomorrow.

Did you get it figured out? I used a Tone pros for a long time without any issues.

I was a day or two away from putting a tonepros adjustable bridge on my SE One until this came up...

I don't mean to derail Sergio's thread but is there a consensus about the stock SE wraparound versus the tonepros???

The bridge on the SE EG i got from Chris had a noticable forward lean and it was simply the lousy fit of the stock studs in the inserts. A set of the TonePros metric studs, with the stick SE bridge, fixed that very nicely.

Jim

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;67584 said:
Yo! I have a US-made PRS bridge I'll send you if you're ok with fixed intonation. Lemme know and I'll mail it out tomorrow.

Hey buddy, I actually wouldn't mind replacing the stock SE on my Tim Mahoney with the US version. Is the one you have for sale? If the guy your originally offered it to doesn't want it, I sure wouldn't mind taking it off your hands and put it to good use!! If your into it my email is [email protected] thanks (hope it was ok to ask)

Otherwise I will chime in and add I tried the TonePros on my Custom 22 a few years ago and could never get the performance I needed out of it. Even with the neck dead straight and the studs all the way down, the action was unplayable. I was told my specific guitar may have less angle to the neck then most. The standard PRS and adjustable bridges worked perfect (except I destroyed the adjustable bridge with hand sweat in a few years, so I now strongly perfer the non adjustable version)

I was a day or two away from putting a tonepros adjustable bridge on my SE One until this came up...

I don't mean to derail Sergio's thread but is there a consensus about the stock SE wraparound versus the tonepros???

I have tried tone pros on two different guitars. One on a LP Studio and then the locking studs on my boys SE245. In both cases the studs had way too much slop in them in the stock inserts. The lean in the SE was worse than the stock studs. I had missing parts too on the LP locking bridge and stop tail . I totally gave up on tone pros.

Hey buddy, I actually wouldn't mind replacing the stock SE on my Tim Mahoney with the US version. Is the one you have for sale? If the guy your originally offered it to doesn't want it, I sure wouldn't mind taking it off your hands and put it to good use!!
Sorry, man. I already gave it to Sergio.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;67863 said:
Sorry, man. I already gave it to Sergio.

All good my man! I think Sergio needed it more then me as the stock SE bridge definitely does the job. I'll just keep an eye out for another one.

Back