Tone

No worries. I hear it in the guitar tone (De Leo's tone was higher gain), mixed with the tempo of the song, the downward chromatic chord progression and the inverted chord in the end of the chorus's phrase--it made me think of the STP song, "Plush".

I've seen clips of Bonham slapping the skins, sure. He was a beast. His swing was legendary, and I don't think anyone's backbeat carried more authority than his. Kashmir, anyone?

Yeah, "Plush" is fire; I like the acoustic version too. It's crazy how much **** they got in the 90s and how legendary they have become since then.

John Bonham was to drums what Hendrix was to guitar, no doubt.

I used to adore Kravitz on Circus and hated everything he did after. I'm a big fan of the STP; Weiland was one of the best voices of the 90's. Second to Layne Staley, in my non-matter opinion. I can't say I see the comparison, though, except maybe what STP did on Tinny Music.

Bonham was an animal. Have you seen him playing with bare hands? He used to be a bricklayer; he could slap these drums like a *****. Monster drummer!

No worries. I hear it in the guitar tone (De Leo's tone was higher gain), mixed with the tempo of the song, the downward chromatic chord progression and the inverted chord in the end of the chorus's phrase--it made me think of the STP song, "Plush".

I've seen clips of Bonham slapping the skins, sure. He was a beast. His swing was legendary, and I don't think anyone's backbeat carried more authority than his. Kashmir, anyone?
If you guys are into Bonham, check out this biography that came out late 2021. Good read.

If you guys are into Bonham, check out this biography that came out late 2021. Good read.

Will do Sir

In a completely different direction from my earlier posts....This musician and his band are from Germany, and they're awesome. I have to thank @Maertl513 for turning me on to Frieschlader. It's not just the tone, his soloing is stellar. The dude rocks out.

This is a studio album, and again, the tones are killer:

Agree completely.

Fact is, he more or less invented a tone [edit, many tones]; as far as I know. I give the man a lot of credit, and I also give credit to his band for letting him do his thing without trying to make him sound like everyone else.

Huge props to all concerned.

[Another edit: what's great about Edge is also that he's very aware of harmony and melody, not just 'guzz-guzz-guzz' or blues tones.]

Just going to leave this here -

Jimmy Herring is a legend. That album was recorded in 1993, so it's not as HD as some other examples, but for the time, the tone was great and the playing was phenomenal. Glad you liked it. He's worth a Google anytime.
And yet, I still have a copy of the CD I bought when it came out! I remember seeing them open for Phish and being blown away. Was fortunate enough to catch them a few times in the 90s.

Back