Time For Something New

Ah, cool, if you are sanding between coats then more is good, there is nothing worse than sanding through :mad:

It is looking amazing, I can’t believe it’s the same guitar as the sunburst pic, never would have thought all that figure was hiding there, top job mate.

Ah, cool, if you are sanding between coats then more is good, there is nothing worse than sanding through :mad:

It is looking amazing, I can’t believe it’s the same guitar as the sunburst pic, never would have thought all that figure was hiding there, top job mate.
Yea a sand through would be really annoying though I still have dye left so I could fix it, but I’d much rather not have to!

It’s a beautiful day for basecoat sanding! Using 320, so far no sand throughs, drips or clouding in the lacquer.
njTLvPy.jpg

Day 3 of clear coating and level sanding. Was more meticulous with the sanding for this pass and I was able to dial in some better flow settings for the lacquer. First coat went on far smoother than the previous ones which will make the final sanding pass easier in preparation for buffing.
rpFTgdL.jpg

8e6mpkp.jpg

Put the final coat on. And OF COURSE in the final coat some lacquer dripped from the threads of the canister and dropped onto the back of the headstock. Easy to sand off but would’ve been nice to have no issues with the spraying. The lacquer lay down really smoothly for the final three passes, way less orange peeling than the initial coats. This product was great and really forgiving, no drips or bluing and dry to the touch in 5 minutes. And now I get to play the waiting game for 2-3 weeks.
ZWmcYpW.jpg

Put the final coat on. And OF COURSE in the final coat some lacquer dripped from the threads of the canister and dropped onto the back of the headstock. Easy to sand off but would’ve been nice to have no issues with the spraying. The lacquer lay down really smoothly for the final three passes, way less orange peeling than the initial coats. This product was great and really forgiving, no drips or bluing and dry to the touch in 5 minutes. And now I get to play the waiting game for 2-3 weeks.
ZWmcYpW.jpg

so nice! what lacquer did you use?

so nice! what lacquer did you use?
General Finishes High Performance Gloss Polyurethane. In all used about 1/4 gallon, not sure what my overspray situation was. 13 coats in total. Used a 1.4 tip size on my sprayer, might’ve used a 1.0 if I owned one.

3YNO7QB.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting for the lacquer to cure is painful. Decided to see how it’ll eventually look with some hardware on it.
4ut8wdj.jpg

Also wanted to change the color of the tremolo arm tip, I thought it should match the pickup rings rather than be black. Scuffed the plastic with 220 and mixed some acrylic paint to match the color. I figure I can put a few coats on then finely sand out the brush strokes and put a couple coats of clear on top.
9WtXngw.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting the lacquer to cure is painful. Decided to see how it’s eventually look with some hardware on it.
4ut8wdj.jpg

Also wanted to change the color of the tremolo arm tip, I thought it should match the pickup rings rather than be black. Scuffed the plastic with 220 and mixed some acrylic paint to match the color. I figure I can put a few coats on then finely sand out the brush strokes and put a couple coats of clear on top.
9WtXngw.jpg

Oh my....

Waiting for the lacquer to cure is painful. Decided to see how it’ll eventually look with some hardware on it.
4ut8wdj.jpg

9WtXngw.jpg

I did the same with a custom build before finish was applied!:D

Back