Time For Something New

Finally got the color I was looking for. Totally lost track of my formulas. Whoops. Redid it a bunch of times to make sure the steps yielded reliable results. Will seal the back and binding tomorrow and get staining. I’m planning to airbrush a very slim burst. So what color would this be in PRS land? Fuschia smoked burst?

For posterity I’m adding my dilution ratios, had to make more so I wouldn’t run out mid project.
  • 1:5 Keda Royal Blue to Lacquer Thinner
  • 1:3 Fiebings Purple Leather Dye to Lacquer Thinner
  • 1:2 Folk Art Hot Pink to Water
ZZoI18J.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got the color I was looking for. Totally lost track of my formulas. Whoops. Redid it a bunch of times to make sure the steps yielded reliable results. Will seal the back and binding tomorrow and get staining. I’m planning to airbrush a very slim burst. So what color would this be in PRS land? Fuschia smoked burst?
ZZoI18J.jpg

approve.

ZZoI18J.jpg

Reminds me of when they had one called Armando's Amethyst.

ZZoI18J.jpg

This looks most like their Ultraviolet finish to me. A private stock only option I believe.

Last edited:
I was going to say that I quite like the body ‘natural’, however that purple is awesome!

If I bought another PRS I was considering Purple Iris, but I like your colour more. Nice work.

Got a lot done today! Sanded back the grain filler and sealed the back and binding. Then took a deep breath and put the stain on. Applied a deep blue very lightly then a royal purple over that. Wiped off the excess and rose the grain with a little water. Then sanded back with 180 and applied a fuschia stain on top of everything. That took three applications. Cut and cleaned up the binding after that, and the tip I received to seal the binding first really helped to keep it clean, hardly had any bleed. Sealed the top and I’m going to put one more seal coat on in a little while.

Z3LS9Ml.jpg

Q5w3aow.jpg

yoit0PU.jpg

QCX2zwV.jpg

KVaBQ6S.jpg

z0nhzn7.jpg

Zcgiofc.jpg

Got a lot done today! Sanded back the grain filler and sealed the back and binding. Then took a deep breath and put the stain on. Applied a deep blue very lightly then a royal purple over that. Wiped off the excess and rose the grain with a little water. Then sanded back with 180 and applied a fuschia stain on top of everything. That took three applications. Cut and cleaned up the binding after that, and the tip I received to seal the binding first really helped to keep it clean, hardly had any bleed. Sealed the top and I’m going to put one more seal coat on in a little while.

Z3LS9Ml.jpg

Q5w3aow.jpg

yoit0PU.jpg

QCX2zwV.jpg

KVaBQ6S.jpg

z0nhzn7.jpg

Zcgiofc.jpg

That looks great!

Love it, nothing like making it your own, grain filler is a pain, but once it’s done it’s just beautiful maple to play with :) and that top looks sweeet.

Back