Time For Something New

Sanding back the sanding sealer in preparation for the clear coat. Leveled everything with 400, it’s left those scratches in it which I trust will be filled and disappear with the lacquer considering the factory does 220 prior to the basecoat spraying. Seems my lacquer order is delayed a couple days so I reckon I can tackle that this weekend. Touched up the binding a bit and a small spot where the tape covered the maple top preventing some stain from reaching the inside edge by the small horn.
EZA0s11.jpg

1vnwnaB.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, it’s actually interesting that the original finish of the guitar didn’t accentuate the flame nearly as much as this color does. Here’s a comparison shot, you can see the left side is very drab originally. It was a nice surprise to see it come out.
ViZswUW.jpg

Your work is coming along great!

I also want to say that dark cherry burst (the original color) is a personal favorite. So now you win the prize twice!! :)

Your work is coming along great!

I also want to say that dark cherry burst (the original color) is a personal favorite. So now you win the prize twice!! :)
Funny enough I bought that one particularly because I’m not a fan of dark cherry burst so I wasn’t going to feel too bad modifying it, however it was a lot prettier when I saw it in person. The sellers photos made it look pretty sterile by comparison. Now I’ve kinda warmed to that color, wouldn’t mind having a DGT in it.

Funny enough I bought that one particularly because I’m not a fan of dark cherry burst so I wasn’t going to feel too bad modifying it, however it was a lot prettier when I saw it in person. The sellers photos made it look pretty sterile by comparison. Now I’ve kinda warmed to that color, wouldn’t mind having a DGT in it.

I had a CU22 and a McCarty in Dark Cherry Burst in the early '00s. They were stellar guitars.

And of course I sold them because I'm that idiot who got GAS for some piece of studio gear that I no longer have around. :rolleyes:

I wanted to do some gold leaf accents somewhere on this guitar and at first I was gonna put a bird on the heel but ended up going with the neck. Borrowed a design from PS #8196. We have red tailed hawks all over the property so I used the silhouette of one I photographed here. Looking forward to sealing it under the lacquer.
HjAAtn1.jpg

Qg7CWwH.jpg

eL3zcmI.jpg

GjRSSan.jpg

I wanted to do some gold leaf accents somewhere on this guitar and at first I was gonna put a bird on the heel but ended up going with the neck. Borrowed a design from PS #8196. We have red tailed hawks all over the property so I used the silhouette of one I photographed here. Looking forward to sealing it under the lacquer.
HjAAtn1.jpg

Qg7CWwH.jpg

eL3zcmI.jpg

GjRSSan.jpg

Great work. My PS JA-15 has a similar inlay on the back of her Ziricote neck. It’s like a special detail that only I can see and appreciate while playing. Very cool.

HjAAtn1.jpg

Qg7CWwH.jpg

eL3zcmI.jpg

GjRSSan.jpg
Damn dude!
You rock!

Finally begun clear coating. I’m using General Finishes High Performance Gloss Polyurethane, couldn’t get the Pre Cat formula so the time between re-coats will be a little longer. Diluted it with 5% distilled water, but it probably wasn’t necessary. Did a light tack coat and have done two subsequent coats. Will do two more today, level sand in the morning followed by another 5 coats, then repeat the process one more time. It’s got a 21 day cure time, might be the wisest thing to let it go the whole time before wet sanding and buffing. The colors are already starting to pop, was nice to see the scratches from the sanding sealer go away.
sjxH3p6.jpg

That is just beautiful.

Just a quick question, are you applying 5 coats and then another 5 coats ?

I normally only apply six coats in total ( seven if you include the dust coat) that’s enough to level out the orange peel and then buff.

Ignore me if you are using rattle cans, it will take a few coats more

Last edited:
That is just beautiful.

Just a quick question, are you applying 5 coats and then another 5 coats ?

I normally only apply six coats in total ( seven if you include the dust coat) that’s enough to level out the orange peel and then buff.

Ignore me if you are using rattle cans, it will take a few coats more
I’m using an hvlp sprayer but each coat is fairly light so I can avoid runs or bluing, I have a habit of not stopping when I should. I did 5 light coats yesterday, I’ll level sand it this morning and do another five, and repeat on Sunday. That’s the plan anyway.

Last edited:
Back