Tim Pierce's Studio Amp Rig

László

Too Many Notes
I know, this isn't a PRS amp rig demo. I'm sorry about that. But I just found this today and I was pretty excited about how similar his setup is to what I have been trying to accomplish in my own PRS-equipped rig. It gave me a few more ideas!

Obviously Tim's analog rig is far more developed than mine, but that's OK, given that I have other fish to fry in addition to guitars.

My idea was to set my heads up near my recording and mixing setup and racks, but have my speaker cabinets far enough away that I could still track them and hear the track I've got to record to, something I do on all my projects. Tim had a soundproof cabinet built into his garage for his cabs. I haven't done that yet, I simply have my cabs far enough away in the room that they aren't so loud at my mix position.

The idea is that I can easily adjust the mics, and also reduce the volume just enough that the bleed from the cabs into my headphones isn't so loud that I can't really hear the headphone mix.

The other part of the idea is that I am near the controls of the audio gear and computer so that I can work the controls without having to walk back and forth from my amps, I can literally just roll my chair a foot or so and everything from the amp controls to the recording equipment can be adjusted.

In my studio, I've been using the UA Apollo's built in mic preamps lately, because they can be made to emulate other preamps, or just run clean by themselves. They sound pretty good! But most of the time I have some stand-alone mic preamps on hand as well. I usually have a few Focusrite Red or Blue preamps on hand, as they're versatile and I can always add coloration later. The Focusrite Red and Blue were designed in the late 80s and early 90s by Rupert Neve. He designed the '94 Focusrite Red I have in my rack, but I'm in the process of choosing some additional preamps and just sold off a few different preamps I wasn't crazy about for purposes of recording guitar. I plan to buy some APIs.

Here's the video link:

And here's what I set up at my own place, a work in progress of course - and since I'm also a keyboard player, my rig has to accommodate playing keys near my control position as well. Control area:

Speaker cab area with room for vocalists, acoustic instrumentalists, etc.

I also make use of a Mesa CabClone for speaker emulation, a very simple device to use that I love the sound of. Not in this picture, but usually I have a 57 and a Royer set up in front of whichever cab I'm working with. I use Latch Lake and Access mic stands and booms as they're very stable and can handle the heaviest mics without issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
You couldn't tidy up the place before you took the pics? ;)

My "music room" looks like a cross between Spider Man's practice facility and Guitar Center. Yours looks like a peaceful retreat! Color me jealous!!

Yeah, +1 on that. I can hardly get in my music room. My wife won't even go in there for fear of tripping over a chord and knocking something over!

Les, thanks for posting pics again of your tables.
We have a vendor at work who sets up office equipment, and I am in contact with them for an estimate on a crank height adjustable table in all black.
Not cheap stuff like from Office Max, very good stuff.
If I get the table, I will make a thread later.
I was thinking about your tables today.

Mine will be for my two monitors, Zoom R24, iPad, Laptop, etc.

You couldn't tidy up the place before you took the pics? ;)

My "music room" looks like a cross between Spider Man's practice facility and Guitar Center. Yours looks like a peaceful retreat! Color me jealous!!

Thanks! I have to have clients over at mine from time to time, so I try to make it look nice. Though a writer friend saw it and said, "It looks like a Dentist's office!" I replied, "Yeah, but it's a lot more antiseptic than a dentist's office, because I don't let people slobber, bleed or spit on the gear."

Yeah, +1 on that. I can hardly get in my music room. My wife won't even go in there for fear of tripping over a chord and knocking something over!

Oh I get plenty o' cables going at times, but it's all about being organized for clients.

One thing as Tim says in his video is that it's nice to be able to walk behind your rig. In my case, the amps are a bit closer to the side wall so I can have room to play, but the rear of both amps is about a foot from the wall, so the speaker jacks, power cords, controls and speaker cables are all easily accessible without having to pull the amps out of a rack. I can see the rear of the amps without doing contortions, and make any adjustments, plug in speakers, etc., as needed.

Slightly off topic but here's Tim playing through some very, very early 25th anniversary/hxda modified amps. This may have been posted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH1nyL5PGzE

Do yourself a huge favor, play thru one of these amps.

Thank you for that, as you know the HXDA is my favorite amp of all time for so many styles! It was great to hear Tim play through them. I have the 30 Watt which is its own kind of beast, but I had one of the 50 Watt versions and even though he has the prototype, the sound is very much the same.

Les, thanks for posting pics again of your tables.
We have a vendor at work who sets up office equipment, and I am in contact with them for an estimate on a crank height adjustable table in all black.
Not cheap stuff like from Office Max, very good stuff.
If I get the table, I will make a thread later.
I was thinking about your tables today.

Mine will be for my two monitors, Zoom R24, iPad, Laptop, etc.

Glad you got the pics again, then! love the idea of a crank height adjustable table - very cool!

Last edited:
Tim Pierce IS my favorite guitarist. I was so stoked to meet him at Experience 2013. I'm always surfing his YouTube and the stuff he does with PapaStache. Awesome!!!

Tim Pierce IS my favorite guitarist. I was so stoked to meet him at Experience 2013. I'm always surfing his YouTube and the stuff he does with PapaStache. Awesome!!!

He's simply a great player, isn't he? I'm a huge admirer.

Oh cool. I was gonna post hes got a vid demoing an HDXA 50 & 100 but im guessing WeFixFlats linked to that? He has other vids where he has a PRS amp in. Im thinking he kept that 50.

Back