Perhaps I Don’t Understand This Concept…

RickP

Established 1960, Still Not Dead
18buy3.jpg

Downsizing. I keep doing this, and I either end up with the same amount of stuff or more when I’m done. It doesn’t seem that should be the outcome.

Being as my gigging opportunities have dropped off significantly in the last few years, I decided to sell my bigger Ax Fx III - RJM rig, and did so this week. Not exactly starving myself, as I have a nice FM9 Turbo rig too, but it did involve a reduction in gear. Positive move towards a downsize. Encouraged, I made a list of other guitars and amps I could do without and still be fine going back to full-time gigging if it comes. Wow, I’m on the way.

Then I found a 1976 Boogie Mk I at a good price. I started playing in 76. This very blonde “Super 60” was my dream amp from Day 1. I’ve owned a bunch of Boogies over the years, but never that “first love” version. I’ve even got an original Altec 417-8H speaker in house; surely a sign this was meant to be. So, yeah, of course I bought it! So, one rig sold… and one rig bought. And I can use a speaker from the closet. And the footswitch is much smaller. I think that’s still downsizing.

Perhaps the concept eludes me still. Anyone find themselves in the gear version of “Groundhog Day?”

Downsizing is on my 'to do' list... what has become very clear is that I have too many pedals in boxes that I am very unlikely to use again and a few guitars that never get played. Unless something has sentimental value it's going (if I ever get round to advertising things lol).

I recently sold all of the guitars I no longer play (except my ES-335) and replaced them with guitars like the Stripped 58 that I will play.

I now own half as many guitars but the one's i own I love.

To me, that's downsizing: selling three or four to get one really special guitar.

I've tried to prune the harem a few times over the decades , but then you play that one that's been gathering dust for a bit , and .. well you may just rediscover why you bought it originally . I do enjoy bringing the occasional vacationing axe's to gigs and let friends play them. It provides that other subtle reminder, being able to hear someone else play your instruments, whether you build them or not always is an eye opener.

I started buying PRSi in 2006. I have more than I need, but really enjoyed finding the ones that speak to me. After buying multiple guitars per year, I haven't purchased a guitar for 7 years. I have everything covered (amps too). So this brings me to the subject at hand. I could sell some now and wouldn't lack for beautiful, quality instruments. But is now the time to sell? Prices have doubled since I bought my first guitar. I can sell each one for 30% more than I paid for it. Are prices going up or down in the future?

If I don't need the money, selling now doesn't make much sense. Enjoy them all for the difference they bring, and just let the prices continue to rise.

Been there. Done that. More than once. I went from close to 30 to 7 when the Mrs retired. Next thing you know, I've got 20. Went to 5, and now have 9 (it was 11, but I just sold 2, with 2 more currently on the block).

Been there. Done that. More than once. I went from close to 30 to 7 when the Mrs retired. Next thing you know, I've got 20. Went to 5, and now have 9 (it was 11, but I just sold 2, with 2 more currently on the block).
I might be fooling myself, but like several have mentioned, I have refined if not downsized. I’ve got three renovation projects going on right now, an effort to get the house squared away for future retirement years when I’m less able to do such things, and really haven’t had time to move on selling things. I may also contact CME, who I know you’ve used before, just to expedite the process. As morbid as it sounds, I’d like to clean up what I have so the wife isn’t saddled with it somewhere down the road, as well. I suppose you think about such things when you click into the later decades. Some things have made the transition from “often used” to “in the way” and I feel the need to clear some space.

Now, if I ever learn to clear the space and not refill it, I’ll be on to something!

I might be fooling myself, but like several have mentioned, I have refined if not downsized. I’ve got three renovation projects going on right now, an effort to get the house squared away for future retirement years when I’m less able to do such things, and really haven’t had time to move on selling things. I may also contact CME, who I know you’ve used before, just to expedite the process. As morbid as it sounds, I’d like to clean up what I have so the wife isn’t saddled with it somewhere down the road, as well. I suppose you think about such things when you click into the later decades. Some things have made the transition from “often used” to “in the way” and I feel the need to clear some space.

Now, if I ever learn to clear the space and not refill it, I’ll be on to something!
I completely get that. I look around at some of the stuff that I/we have and think; "Why the hell did we ever get that stuff." Hell, I could have retired by now if I/we hadn't blown money on stupid stuff!

I recently sold all of the guitars I no longer play (except my ES-335) and replaced them with guitars like the Stripped 58 that I will play.

I now own half as many guitars but the one's i own I love.

To me, that's downsizing: selling three or four to get one really special guitar.
I will probably do that very thing to buy an NF 53.

I can give you a very good example of downsizing.
It will fully explain the concept.

In 1979 we bought a house in NYC.

2,400 sq ft on a 40 X 100 lot.

We had children, raised them etc.
Dogs, cats, fish, birds, hamsters.
Children grew up, left the nest, etc.
Maybe time to move to calmer pastures.

In 2021 we bought a house in North Carolina.
Just the 2 of us and zero pets.

3,558 sq ft on .57 acre (95 X 225).

We got much bigger money for the NYC house than we paid for the NC house.

If it costs less...

downsizing.

My downsizing also usually consists of getting more stuff. I've actually downsized quite a bit the past several months out of necessity. I've tried almost every type of amp and pedal I've wanted to over the past several years and am very happy with all my guitars, so I hope not to start adding again, except a nice smaller amp for home practice. I admit, I had waaay too much stuff that I never used. I also took a bath on the sales because I often bought new stuff.

I feel your pain. I downsized my guitars from 32 to 9. I have no Core PRS' left. All were sold to fund "life events". I have SE versions of my favorite Core models.

When I got the Helix I kept tube amps for another couple of years. I even bought a couple more. Eventually I realized that I was happier with the Helix. So I sold the amps and never looked back.

Now I have everything I want sonically for recording. Using the Helix is faster and easier for me. I don't have the space for micing loud amp/cab combinations. Plus, my clients are happy because most of them want DI files anyway. With plugins most of them have their favorite amps already.

Weird, but meh...whatever.

I think it depends on what your why is. When I started to figure out my process for writing songs, which took me a long time, I started to realize that I could do it on any guitar as long as it was a quality instrument. With my why being songwriting, I was able to let go of a lot of my collection. Now, if your why is collecting or getting inspired by hearing the varying sounds of lots of different instruments....

@RickP,

First of all, I think what you are doing is an honorable thing. Many times we collect gear as investments in hopes one day we'll will it to our kids, or sell it for profit in order to fund our retirement. My feeling is that when you downsize or simplify what you own, you remove the burden of what you own, so that what you own no longer owns you. It's an entirely gratifying experience to downsize and find more cost-effective gear that provides close approximations of what you prefer.

My point being, I used to own several high-end PS, but could never justify owning them because I felt I was pretending to be someone I was not...a better player who looked good, but could not play well...

Over the course of many years I discovered that it was not wise to "follow after the crowd" because of the problems associated with the mob mentality. That meant what was needed was to research what tones and sounds that were most pleasing to my ears, and then find the gear that would provide this at a lower price point, or a more cost-effective one.

The results of my search turned up several items...for a in-between Strat/LP tone, a 2016 McCarty was found. For a slightly-varied sound and a trem bar, a DGT SE. For a more open-tone, a Epi Sheraton. And lastly, for a quality acoustic (I didn't wish to skimp on acoustic quality), a PRS SE A60E.

I used to own a nice clean 30W 1x12 Brunetti combo and a decent quality effects board that was always in a state of flux. Pedals would come and go, but it was typically the guitars and amps that would remain for a longer time.

Enter Fractal Audio Systems. Like you, I learned that FAS has most any or all of my amp, effects, or cab needs. No excuses, FAS makes a quality product that is fast becoming an industry standard in amp modeling. With OS upgrades provided at no charge, their product keeps moving and changing with the times for the better, not for the worse. Many times businesses will try to introduce products that devalue their product line. (PRS, however maintains their S2 and SE product line with excellent QC.). Not so with Fractal. Although the physical improvements to hardware may be small or negligible, the improvements to their firmware are what sets FAS apart from the crowd.

All this being said (sorry for the long read), I think it's wise to not let gear own you. That way, if for some reason you may find yourself moving to new living arrangements (new house, downsize to an apartment, etc.) you won't need to experience the stress of selling off gear in order to fit things into a smaller space. I did the same back in 2016, and discovered that I needed almost 8 weeks of time away from work to collect, pack, store, stage, transport, offload, store, and unpack my belongings. My entire apartment was filled to the ceiling with cardboard cartons! After I returned to work, it took 2 more weeks of unboxing my stuff and finding a place for it all!

In one word: simplify. The stuff you think you'd like to hold onto most you really don't use much at all, and f you have not touched or used that stuff in the past 6 months, it's a good idea to let it go.

I think I've got bookcases of books and DVDs I seldom if ever view...maybe it's time to consider emptying the bookcase of the excess and replace it with memorabilia I know I'd cherish instead.

Earlier this year I decided to sell one of my PRS' and all of my speaker cabinets, figuring I'd limit the amp rigs to the heads, a Grossmann silent speaker cab (plus the Lone Star combo), a UA Ox Box, and keep four electric guitars instead of five.

Think of all the space I'd save with the amp heads on a single shelf unit, only one speaker (the silent cab) and one combo - or so I thought.

I wound up only selling one cab and wound up replacing it; didn't get the silent cab; didn't get the UA Ox; and bought another Core PRS. So despite the best of intentions, I'm right back where I started! And you know why?

Because I'm an acquisitive sumb!tch whose destiny is to leave behind too much stuff!

I have no explanation for this, and don't think it's a positive personality trait, but I suppose there are worse things. :rolleyes:

Back