Perhaps I Don’t Understand This Concept…

18buy3.jpg

Downsizing. I keep doing this, and I either end up with the same amount of stuff or more when I’m done. It doesn’t seem that should be the outcome.

Being as my gigging opportunities have dropped off significantly in the last few years, I decided to sell my bigger Ax Fx III - RJM rig, and did so this week. Not exactly starving myself, as I have a nice FM9 Turbo rig too, but it did involve a reduction in gear. Positive move towards a downsize. Encouraged, I made a list of other guitars and amps I could do without and still be fine going back to full-time gigging if it comes. Wow, I’m on the way.

Then I found a 1976 Boogie Mk I at a good price. I started playing in 76. This very blonde “Super 60” was my dream amp from Day 1. I’ve owned a bunch of Boogies over the years, but never that “first love” version. I’ve even got an original Altec 417-8H speaker in house; surely a sign this was meant to be. So, yeah, of course I bought it! So, one rig sold… and one rig bought. And I can use a speaker from the closet. And the footswitch is much smaller. I think that’s still downsizing.

Perhaps the concept eludes me still. Anyone find themselves in the gear version of “Groundhog Day?”

I didn't read your post. I just wanted to thank you for the Bodia meme. :p

Golf...

Let me get this straight.

There's coffee mug sized hole in the ground 300 yards or so over that way.
There's this little ball sitting on a little stand at my feet.
I have a crooked little weighted paddle at the end of a longish handle
with which I'm supposed to hit the ball into the hole in 3 or 4 tries.
18 times.
in 1 day.

Naah.

I think I'll go chew on some aluminum foil while I shave my head with a cheese grater instead.

I've been actively downsizing over the last 2-3 years.

I'm retiring in about a year and we've already purchased our retirement home (in an undisclosed location). It's significantly smaller than my current home and I won't have my dedicated "music room".

I've gone from over 50 guitars down to about 20, with a few more guitars (and amps) to sell...

I'm keeping the ones that are very special to me and that cover pretty much all of the sonic flavors I could ever want. I've left the "collect the whole set" mentality behind...

Will I ever buy another guitar? Probably... But I'm definitely out of the hunt...

The keepers?

PRS
PS #234 Hollowbody
BRW McCarty
12-String
Tonare Grand Mahogany Concept
I'm considering a DGT SE...

Thorn Artisan Koa/Korina Semi Hollow Soapbar

Fender
Cunetto Nocaster, Mary Kay Strat and 2 60's Strats (Sunburst and Sonic Blue). And my "Rocky" replica

Danocaster "Keef" Micawber Telecaster

Gibson
'58 Re-Issue Flametop
'56 Tom Murphy Goldtop Soapbar (the first one he ever did)

Martin '76 D-35

Tacoma Koa Acoustic with a 600 yo "Sinker" Redwood top.

Yes. Golf. Think about how expensive THAT hobby can be on a weekly basis!
Weekly? One of my brothers plays every single day it isn't pouring rain!

Eventually one winds up with greens fees, country club dues, expensive golf gear, and this year he had a freaking putting green installed in his back yard with three holes in it so he could practice from different angles when he isn't at the club.

I told him it's interesting that he wants to play with his putts so much. ;)

Golf is highly social, gives you great exercise walking the course each round, and is among the most maddening of exploits to refine. Some have the gift, none of them me. Whenever I golfed, I'm not sure I ever once relocated my drive ball. But I had a hell of a time with my buddies. Then I added up all the guitars I could buy instead over the years and I instantly quit. Not that I ever really started.

I'm retiring in about a year and we've already purchased our retirement home (in an undisclosed location).
You might want to find out where it is before you make any more plans to move there!

;)

Anyway, I'm a decade or two from considering downsizing - I'm still in collect mode, though I am trying to slow down (and generally succeeding at that).

My heirs (if I have any) might be the ones to worry about liquidating my collection...

You might want to find out where it is before you make any more plans to move there!

;)

Anyway, I'm a decade or two from considering downsizing - I'm still in collect mode, though I am trying to slow down (and generally succeeding at that).

My heirs (if I have any) might be the ones to worry about liquidating my collection...
I'm waiting for my wife to tell me where it is...

I ain’t hating it…

2lUUx1a.jpg

To demonstrate the extent of my OCD-ness, if it was mine I'd send it out for new tolex, grille cloth, handle and metal corners.

I realize that most players are charmed by something that looks like it's had a real life. But I'd have it redone anyway because I'm just that weird.

:)

Not sayin' you should, Rick!

To demonstrate the extent of my OCD-ness, if it was mine I'd send it out for new tolex, grille cloth, handle and metal corners.

I realize that most players are charmed by something that looks like it's had a real life. But I'd have it redone anyway because I'm just that weird.

:)

Not sayin' you should, Rick!
I’m really happy with it. It’s a genuine “Home of Tone” workshop, Lagunitas CA model, hand-built by Randall Smith himself, only the 511th one ever made. The look is seared into my memory from my then 16 year old self so wanting to have one… an unreachable dream at that time. It’s cool that this one hasn’t had a million owners… I am owner #2! And so, short of buying it new way back when, it’s as close to reaching that early dream as I can get.

For a similar look, though pristine in appearance, I do have my California Tweed mini-stack. Interestingly, they are near to the very first and very last designs made by Mr Smith while he had full control of Mesa/Boogie. What a run of greatness, innovation, and contribution to music he/they have had!

For a similar look, though pristine in appearance, I do have my California Tweed mini-stack. Interestingly, they are near to the very first and very last designs made by Mr Smith while he had full control of Mesa/Boogie. What a run of greatness, innovation, and contribution to music he/they have had!
I'm weird, of course. I would have it covered with the same Tolex and grille cloth, but yeah, it wouldn't be original.

However you are so right, and it is VERY cool that you have one of the earliest designs and one of the last ones (though it's possible the Mark VII came afterward, and if so, you need to bookend the Mark I with a Mark VII in order to be The Compleat Madman!). ;)

One more discovery…

The vaunted “singing” Boogie tone is there. But the more Fendery channel 2 is awesome! You can use the boost with the pull function on Channel 1 (all the volume controls are working and interacting in all channels at all times), and it has that cranked up Fender sound without the flub that happens in the upper Fender settings.

It’s definitely a different sort of amp. Nothing like the later discrete channel amps, and surely not the all controls independent in every channel like the Nomad or Road King of later generations. But there is something about the way it works that produces such fun to play tones, and I can totally see how the ability to switch inputs (the first “multi-channel” approximation) and the sheer musical output and volume was such a watershed moment for all amps to follow, and a game-changing amp for players.

Like my old pre-CBS Super Reverb, it’s much more than a relic of the Glory Days. This thing is still an amp you could happily gig today and do it well. I’m glad I didn‘t pass up this opportunity to put a long-missing puzzle piece in place, downsizing be damned. I’ll get back to work on that next month!

I'd love to downsize, if not for the fact that I regretted selling almost everything I ever sold :). This includes a JCM800 2205 head and a bunch of pedals I gave away (including first editions Boss HM2, DF2 and DM2) which are all sought-after collectibles now. Now my approach is to right-size - for everything I buy, I sell something which I am pretty sure I won't need (or can easily replace if I do) and which will not increase in value. Of course, that means I'll never sell my PRS's, but everything else is fair game. :)

Back