Thoughts?

Lou

I've got to say at one time all I did was lust over older PRS guitars. I have owned many threw out the years.
Some that I wish I still had. Due to one reason or another I've had to sell them off.
Now I have found myself in a situation where I can get one again. I could have gotten any
previous model. But I have been drawn to Paul's new innovations. Instead of getting what I knew,
late 80s or 90s PRS, I went with the new 408 simply because of Paul's passion. I honestly believe
his new guitars are the best he has ever achieved. Thanks for the dedication Paul. Give a shout out if you
agree.

Last edited:
From what I have seen (and purchased) , the "newer" the better. With that said I have a few PRS's that are approaching 10 years old and I will "never" sell them as they are great instruments.

Thanks so much for the comments it nice to be in such good company.
:prslogo::shakehands:

Continuous improvement is one thing that make PRS great! Hats off to Paul & company for that.

For me it would be the constant improvements in pickups. Their guitars are works of art. They sound great, play very well and give me a boost mentally but every time they come out with new pickups my wallet starts to cringe.

While I do think it would be nifty to have a PRS made in 1985, I really like the 2015 core line 30th Anniv. models they have now.

Speaking of 1985, I think my 2010 McCarty Narrowfield versus a 1985 PRS would be a evenly matched and fair fight. ;)

I think the argument can be made that all major guitar manufacturers have upped their game over the last decade. (Yes...even the G company). PRS quality has always been the best in the business. It's really what put them on the map as a company. (In addition to the unique shape, tone, and birds.) Their challenge has been to remain on top which they have done to a remarkable degree. If you don't improve your product, you can't do that so, yes, I think the newer guitars are the best the company has ever made. Fortunately, with PRS, if you buy an early model, you still get a super high quality instrument with perhaps a touch more mojo. I have a 1990 CU24 with SN under 10,000 which for some reason I think is cool. Would I like SN under 1000? Under 100? Sure! No particular reason, I just would. Would it be a better guitar than a 30th CU24? Nope. Would it be a great instrument? Most likely. As gush says above, the most significant change has been pickups. I'm one of the lucky ones that likes the HFS/VB combo. It really works for the styles I play. But...I have to admit, the 09 CU24 I recently bought with 57/08 pickups is more articulate with a meatier tone and that will be the one I reach for when I want to play a Govt Mule tune on a 24 fret guitar. I was just doing the A/B on a the 57/08 loaded CU with a HFS/VB loaded '91 CE last night through my Blackstar. Great tonal differences. As soon as my mood changed though and I wanted to play some old UFO, guess which guitar got the nod? CE. No pickup like an HFS for great pinches and squeals! Rock Bottom!

There was a period in the mid '00's or so where I thought they seemed a bit lost. Like they were wandering around trying new things to find a direction. I wondered, "is this going to be their equivalent of Gibson and Fender in the 70's (awkward model-wise)?" The last five or so years they seem to have hit a really good stride and truly are making their best stuff yet.

There was a period in the mid '00's or so where I thought they seemed a bit lost. Like they were wandering around trying new things to find a direction. I wondered, "is this going to be their equivalent of Gibson and Fender in the 70's (awkward model-wise)?" The last five or so years they seem to have hit a really good stride and truly are making their best stuff yet.

I couldn't agree more. They seem to have laser vision now and specific direction for the product lines. I love to see what's next.

Back