Thinking out loud, SC-58...

Funky Chicken

I started my latest guitar search with the thought that I wanted a Les Paul. Began drilling down the choices and got pretty disillusioned. They are really hard to buy online-total crapshoot. Historic prices have shot thru the roof-just
too much money for me in the context of the other gear I plan to pick up this year. Began looking into Singlecuts and discovered the SC-58. It looks like a perfect solution for me but there aren't any local to see or play. This worries me
way less because of PRS QC, but I am still flying blind.
So-a couple of questions.
I would prefer a lighter weight piece. Is there such a thing as too light as it pertains to an SC-58? The range I am finding is 8 to 9 lbs.
I am torn on finish selection. I initially was targeting a burst of some sort but I don't love the teardrop look on the darker bursts. A couple of more unusial colors have caught my eye-Faded Gray Black and Black Slate.
As I have been out of the loop on obsessive PRS discussion for a few years, is there still an aversion to certain finishes in the resale market?
I know these are semi-inane questions but cut me a little slack here!
Thanks
FC

I've got no good advice...other than do it!

I'm not a fan of the tear drop bursts, either, but I love so many of the other PRS colors. I wouldn't worry too much about the resale of certain colors. Get what you like--you'll be happier every time you pick it up.

I'm also a fan of lighter guitars--9 lbs is too much for me. 8 lbs is good for a solid body.

Good luck, and definitely let us know where you end up.

The SC58 is a wonderful guitar, as are the SC245 and Stripped 58; sonically and in terms of hardware, they're very much the same instrument, with different trim.

I do like the bursts, and some are quite subtle, while others aren't. It all depends on the color.

Like Egads, I wouldn't worry about the color. People seem more open to a variety of colors lately, and all that stuff depends on what's happening the moment you're in the mood to sell. anyway. If you like it, you're bound to find others who will, too, and with any luck, you won't want to sell it!

These models aren't weight-relieved; I believe some Gibsons are (as were certain earlier PRS SCs). So they tend to be a little heavy, but they sound fantastic.

There is a bit of weight variation across samples. Of my two Strippers, my goldttop is probably about a full pound lighter than my blue crab blue example. I had another BCB at one point too that was even heavier still. So do inquire about the weight if you find a few you are interested in.

I don't have any advice either. I have two guitars in the single cut "Les Paul" design style and they are both 10 pounds or more. One is a 2006 PRS Singlecut and the other is a brand x.
When I want to enjoy a lighter and thinner guitar, I'll play either my Custom 24 or my McCarty.
Many will argue with me but IMHO a hollowed out LP style guitar will loose tone and sustain.
Wearing a wider and cushioned strap with make the heavy Singlecut design feel lighter.

I should point out that none of the Strippers I've owned have been 'heavy.' Have owned heavier Telecasters. Compared to some of the 10+ lbs Les Pauls I've seen, the Strippers have been positively feather-weight.

Thanks for the input guys.
@Les-if I could find a burst that looks like your new 245 (incredible guitar, congrats) I would pounce on it, but the pricing on 58s in stock at one big dealer is really favorable right now so I am going to pick one of theirs. Their bursts, other than McCarty (which in the case of their inventory doesn't seem really burst-y at all) don't appeal to me. I like having some gradation in the upper bout by the switch.
Very few strippers left in inventory that I can find so I may as well step up to the SC58 at this pricing. I am going to marrow it down to a few particular guitars based on pics (and this dealer's pics are far from the best IMO) and get on the phone with them.
Any other input is appreciated-thanks again!
FC

Thanks for the input guys.
@Les-if I could find a burst that looks like your new 245 (incredible guitar, congrats) I would pounce on it, but the pricing on 58s in stock at one big dealer is really favorable right now so I am going to pick one of theirs.
FC

Thanks for the kind words about the 245; I had an SC58 that I let go to fund some studio fixes, and really missed it, hence the SC245.

You will LOVE the SC58, - and the bound fingerboard is (to me, anyway) a plus.

So I made my way to the local GC today. No PRS with a two piece bridge (not surprising). Played a really shopworn 245 with 57/08s and a wraparound. Played great but dead strings which didn't help the tone.
Also played a 2014 LP Traditional that was surprisingly good? I hate the anniversary logo inlay at the 12th fret but the rest of the guitar was really nice. Not nice enough to buy, though, at $2399.
The closest dealer with a newer 245 with two piece is in Charlotte. 2 hour drive. Good barbecue between here and there. Sounds like a road trip.

The best way to get a lightweight one is to pick one with weight relief/chambering. If I'm not mistaken, I've read from thegearpage or a similar forum, the SC 250 has weight relief, the SC 245 I'm not sure and the SC 58 has no weight relief. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If possible, enquire your seller about the weight, that'll make things easier. :beer: Have fun!

So I made my way to the local GC today. No PRS with a two piece bridge (not surprising). Played a really shopworn 245 with 57/08s and a wraparound. Played great but dead strings which didn't help the tone.
Also played a 2014 LP Traditional that was surprisingly good? I hate the anniversary logo inlay at the 12th fret but the rest of the guitar was really nice. Not nice enough to buy, though, at $2399.
The closest dealer with a newer 245 with two piece is in Charlotte. 2 hour drive. Good barbecue between here and there. Sounds like a road trip.

If you're talking about Music 49, that's worth a road trip all by itself. They have some great guitars and they're nice folks there too.

The best way to get a lightweight one is to pick one with weight relief/chambering. If I'm not mistaken, I've read from thegearpage or a similar forum, the SC 250 has weight relief, the SC 245 I'm not sure and the SC 58 has no weight relief.

I'm pretty sure my SC250 was not weight relieved. Not sayin' all weren't, but had mine been lighter than the 9.5 lbs, I'd probably still own her!

Back