Thinking about getting a new PRS (currently without!)

The SE Paul’s pups sound more like hot P90s to me, very nice tones. Check the video demos by Brian Ewald for both models on the Sweetwater site to get an idea of the differences.

Ha, just listened to both demos, agree the 85/15 in the Mira does sound more aggressive. The other option I didn't list was the SE Tremonti Custom. Which on paper checks a few boxes too; maple neck, not mahogany, trem, on a singlecut, and I would presume more aggressive pickups. The custom version is a thicker body too, correct? Closer to a real LP.

I did some more critical listening tonight, mostly through a ThorpyFX Muffroom (big muff/distortion) between my SG and LP, with the LP clearly coming out on top, then the S2 Custom 24 which sounded really good too. Not sure if the thickness of the LP with the maple cap plays a bigger role, than the SG without the maple, and somewhat less aggressive pickups, with the S2 sort of in between the two. The Mira strikes me as closer to an SG, not a bad thing at all. Sounded very nice in the video. I play lots of cleanish stuff too, not all rock or heavier stuff, so versatility is valued.

Good suggestion for sure, definitely considering now.

Oh yeah, I have a SE Tremonti also, and you are correct on all counts, another fantastic PRS. :)

That was my thought about the Mira too, closer to the SG than anything. I kind of wanted an SG for a long time, but couldn't get over the neck dive, especially when sitting. After I got my Mira, I had no more desire for an SG.

Oh yeah, I have a SE Tremonti also, and you are correct on all counts, another fantastic PRS. :)

That was my thought about the Mira too, closer to the SG than anything. I kind of wanted an SG for a long time, but couldn't get over the neck dive, especially when sitting. After I got my Mira, I had no more desire for an SG.

I've heard people complaining about neck dive with SG's but that's not been my experience with this model, I use a leather/suede strap, so maybe that helps. The weight is nice, I would presume the SE Mira will probably be in the same ballpark, 7lbs or so. Are the Tremonti Custom models fairly heavy? Looks like on the SW site they are around 9lbs, typical for a lot of regular LP's, mine is probably 9+ lbs, you feel it after a while. How are the Tremonti pickups?

I think I'm going to scratch the SE Paul off my list. Seems very cool, but for my needs I think the SE Mira has replaced this choice. I like the SE Holcomb but might also be too much of a "metal oriented" guitar, although not a bad thing at all.

Actually another consideration I've been dealing with lately, is weight. I've hurt my upper back/neck/right shoulder, and can't wait to visit the chiropractor at the end of this month. So a heavy guitar, is not ideal. The Tremonti might be out then, and the SE Mira is definitely in. I just found one in black on Reverb, at a shop in Syracuse that's about an hour away. Never heard of the store either, but they have some really nice stuff. I could check it out in person and decide if it's right or not. 6.2 pounds too. Are they any thinner than the the Custom 24 models would be? Or much smaller? I don't want a toy, but other than that it checks most of my boxes right now.

Yep, Tremonti is on the heavy side with aggressive pups, and the Mira is pretty light, not as aggressive pups as the Tremonti.

I think I'm going to scratch the SE Paul off my list. Seems very cool, but for my needs I think the SE Mira has replaced this choice. I like the SE Holcomb but might also be too much of a "metal oriented" guitar, although not a bad thing at all.

Actually another consideration I've been dealing with lately, is weight. I've hurt my upper back/neck/right shoulder, and can't wait to visit the chiropractor at the end of this month. So a heavy guitar, is not ideal. The Tremonti might be out then, and the SE Mira is definitely in. I just found one in black on Reverb, at a shop in Syracuse that's about an hour away. Never heard of the store either, but they have some really nice stuff. I could check it out in person and decide if it's right or not. 6.2 pounds too. Are they any thinner than the the Custom 24 models would be? Or much smaller? I don't want a toy, but other than that it checks most of my boxes right now.

I don’t remember how heavy the Holcomb is, and it does do the metal thing well, but it is very versatile. The middle position, especially with the coil split - beautiful. Worth a try if you can find one w/o too much trouble.

Back