Thinking about getting a new PRS (currently without!)

IRG

So I would not characterize myself as a big PRS fanboy; I've gone back and forth between really digging them, to wanting anything but.

Started out years ago with a couple of SE models, one was a Custom 24 I think, and an unusual Mark Tremonti SE model. Sold them both. Then maybe 2 years ago, I got the bug again, and got an S2 Standard 22, an SE Clint Lowery, and finally an Artist Grade 10 Top Custom 24. Which had a few other custom touches to it (got it used), better pickups, individual switches for coil tap, etc. Suddenly, my small little collection of guitars, was mostly PRS. Then I sold them all. I went back to what I have now, a Les Paul, and SG, a Tele and a 335. Just sold the 335 and a secondary Tele. So I just have 3 electrics right now.

On impulse, I bought a new EVH Superstrat (the "Bumblebee") which is right now sitting at a FedEx store waiting for me to pick it up. And I don't want it, lol. So it's going back. I've never been that impulsive now, especially in my advance age (53). I was thinking of keeping it, and adding a secondary guitar, like another SE. Then last night, I decided, don't get two decent guitars, get one really good one, that you will keep long term (like my LP and SG and Tele). So that's why I'm here.

I'm wanting to add the right PRS for me. I think it's actually the CE24. I like the fact that it is a bolt on neck, and a maple neck, for what I assume is slightly brighter, snappier tones. And it comes in simple black which I like a lot, although the Amber color speaks to me too. It's almost outside of my budget though. I have an account with Sweetwater, and if I return my EVH, and get the CE24, the payments (no-finance option) are like $20 or less. So that's the way I might go.

Second option is the S2 Custom 24. I like this one too. Not quite a CE24 obviously, but similar.

Which am I going to prefer? Probably the CE, though without playing them back to back, who knows. Music, is mostly rock; harder rock, to some metal, but not over the top aggressive metal, more like old school metal (Priest) to some stuff like Mastodon. And blues, heavier blues type, and classic rock. Not country. And I like to noodle on some more ambient stuff. So cleans are important too, and versatility. Coil taps are great (love them on my LP).

Is the CE24 the right guitar then, for someone who has owned a few PRSi models, but am otherwise, a bit of a novice?

TL;DR...wanting a new PRS, which one, CE24, S2 Custom 24, or something else?

TBH, the best thing is to completely just take your time. Try out as many models as you can. That way you know for sure which one it is that you want. Seems like the model you want changes rapidly. CE and S2 necks are completely different (to me at least). I have a SE Custom 24 with wide/thin and am getting an S2 Standard 22 with Pattern Regular. It's quite the difference in feel.

-k

The tones you want are definitely going to be there. I would be more concerned about the neck carve. The CE24s typically have what they call a Pattern-Thin, which isn't Ibanez thin, but will not feel as at home for someone who prefers a thick classic Tele neck. The Pattern (a thicker profile) would be much more comfortable for that player.

You should definitely try models with the different necks before dropping that kind of money!

I hear you all on the neck shape. Generally I do prefer thinner over thicker. I had a great Tele Custom Shop (won in a contest) that sounded and played wonderful, but the neck was fairly thick, and over time I noticed I kept getting hand fatigue. My current tele isn't thin, but it's not as thick. I've also had a strat that was a V shape pattern, and found that challenging after a while too. Both of my Gibsons have the thinner 60's neck which I like. With PRS, I've had 2-3 different neck shapes, and found all quite playable, but I think I'd likely prefer the CE over the S2.

Different question, both models have the 85/15 pickups, with the SE and S2 having the S designation. I've heard the two designs are more similar than not, but I would guess/hope that the CE versions are a bit better. Any comments in how they differ?

I've heard both but... I don't own both. I wouldn't expect them to be a major difference. From what I've heard from others and reading online it really isn't because the only real difference is place of origin.

The choice of guitar model and neck shape will have a much more profound effect on your choice. I wouldn't base the decision mainly upon the pickup.

-k

Reactions: IRG
I'd lean CE24, with the US made pickups. The other hardware will be the same as the S2. Plus, as you said, maple neck. Tonally, different than what you already have while the S2 would be similar to your current guitars.

I have them both, a 2018 S2 custom 24 and a 2005 CE 24 with 57/08’s. The S2 is currently getting more playing time. It has a a brighter, slightly more piercing sound and screams the blues. The CE 24 has a thicker, heavier sound. Won’t sell either one, ever. Play them both, they really do sound different from each other.

I have them both, a 2018 S2 custom 24 and a 2005 CE 24 with 57/08’s. The S2 is currently getting more playing time. It has a a brighter, slightly more piercing sound and screams the blues. The CE 24 has a thicker, heavier sound. Won’t sell either one, ever. Play them both, they really do sound different from each other.

Well I surprised myself, and ended up going with the S2 Custom 24. It somewhat came down to price ($1400 new) and I loved the color of it (Violin Amber Sunburst). Yes the neck is a little thicker, which I'm ok with (I did like my S2 Standard 22), hoping I like the pickups more than my older S2 (don't even recall what they used back then).

My 2 Gibsons do have the same wood components, mahogany body/neck combo, but they sound quite different from one another, because of the pickups (the SG has a set of WCR pickups, the LP has a SD JB/Jazz combo). The 85/15 sound right up my alley.

Quite happy to be in the PRS family again.

S2040839-angle-large.jpg

Beautiful guitar! Congrats

Excellent choice, mine is the same color. :)

If you want a black CE, Dave’s Guitar (you can find it online, they’re in Wisconsin I think) has them used for about $1300, which is a significant discount.

-k

If you want a black CE, Dave’s Guitar (you can find it online, they’re in Wisconsin I think) has them used for about $1300, which is a significant discount.

-k

Just what I need, an enabler to spend my money! I gotta get the S2 first, pay that off then maybe the CE.

I was thinking of a new post, but will just piggy back off of this one.

Loving my new S2 Custom 24. I'm now thinking of getting another PRS, this time from the SE line. It will replace a Gibson SG Standard that I'm not playing very often. I have a nice LP that gets more playing time. The SG is very light which is nice, and has a set of expensive pickups in it, but the PAF sound is fine, just not quite what I'm looking for these days. Want something either more aggressive or unique. Assuming I can sell it for around $1k, or so, here are the three SE models I'm considering, looking for a little more variety that what I have now (the S2, a Tele and a LP).

SE Custom 24 Floyd Rose
Pro: The Floyd Rose, maple neck, Pattern wide thin neck
Con: Same 85/15 pups that's in my S2 (I like them, but do I want the same thing?)

SE Mark Holcomb
Pro: Custom SD pickups, likely more aggressive, maple neck, 25.5" scale neck, very flat radius, ebony board
Con: Not sure, fixed bridge? Also a plus for tuning.

SE Paul's Guitar
Pro: Unique pickups (not sure how they compare to the other two models here), like the split coil feature via toggles,
Con: Pattern wide fat neck - too beefy? Likely not but..., 22 frets vs. 24 (not sure this is really a con), not a maple neck, construction more similar to an SG in this case.

Used, the Holcomb seems to be the cheapest I've seen on Reverb. Paul is too new to find used, so at top of my budget.

Anything I haven't considered among these three models? Anything you like or don't like about them?

For your wants, consider the SE Mira (available in black). The most “unique” of the three you listed would be the SE Paul’s, though certainly not as aggressive as the SE Mira.

For your wants, consider the SE Mira (available in black). The most “unique” of the three you listed would be the SE Paul’s, though certainly not as aggressive as the SE Mira.

Forgot about the SE Mira. Checks a lot of boxes too, is it out yet? Price is nice for sure. How would it be more aggressive than the SE Paul?

Edit, appears to be out, I was looking at SW which normally has all of the PRS stuff in stock, and they didn't, for now. New item according to their website.

The SE Paul’s pups sound more like hot P90s to me, very nice tones. Check the video demos by Brian Ewald for both models on the Sweetwater site to get an idea of the differences.

Back