Theory, scale choice

GuitarAddict

I’m not a great user of modes. Instead I prefer to take a major or minor scale shape and know where the ‘outside’ notes are and know what sounds or tensions they create and use them appropriately. However being a predominantly blues player I’m always trying to use a scale more interesting than a simple pentatonic, or at least break up each solo at some point away from the pentatonic. For example using the mixolydian over the IV chord or a flat 2nd flat 7 th in a major scale arpeggio.
I was looking for inspiration for a solo for Call Me The Breeze and listened to the John Mayer version. I’ve heard Clapton call him a virtuoso guitarist and despite having his signature guitar I’ve never really rated him as a great player, until I heard his solo. The change between the major and minor F# pentatonic scales and note choice in the solo is so seamless and just indescribable it took me a few minutes to actually work out what he was playing. It really made me see him in a different league of guitarists. Absolutely first class.
Anyone else had similar moments with any player/s.

I love the solos of Larry Carlton, he plays havoc with chord sequences. A real guitar players guitar player.

Louie Shelton is probably the reason that I play guitar. My 7 year old self listening to his playing for Seals and Crofts on the album “Unborn Child”, which he produced also.

I could name more, but trying to keep this post readable.

I get where you’re coming from.

Heck yes, SO many players! It’s not just about the theory either (since many great players claim to not be that knowledgeable about music theory - which might make them even more impressive IMO). The list is endless.

Recently I saw a player on Instagram called Matteo Mancuso. Obviously trained in classical guitar techniques, which I am not, and super impressive (which I am not either lol).

Steve Vai's "Flexible" is way off the chart. I don't know how you categorize it, but it's expressionism to the nth degree. It's so completely abstract and weird that it works. I could never try to go there (or even know how) but he breaks every theory rule in the book with it. I know this isn't really what you're talking about, but there's a place for non-conformity in everything musical. It's like Bruce Lee's treatise for guitar; the best style is "no style"???

I personally prefer Robben Ford because he doesn't blow smoke for the sake of blowing smoke but can controllably use non-chord tones and altered scales almost "under-the-radar." And his tone doesn't suck.

If you or anyone ever wants to chat theory, shoot me a message.

Trey Anastasio ! At least for me, he is all about that Juliard-y, sort of "schooled musician" kind of theory. I know several people who are all about transcribing his stuff. (I am not good enough to do it but we talk about it all the time) And some of the stuff he is doing, mixing modes, adding chord tones, playing in the wrong key on purpose for tension and then resolving it, syncopation, changing time signatures in the middle of a jam......My God! And to be able to do it well in so many different "styles" is ridiculous to me. Many may not be into his music, but if you analyze it, there is no way to say that he isn't a master of music theory.

I personally prefer Robben Ford because he doesn't blow smoke for the sake of blowing smoke but can controllably use non-chord tones and altered scales almost "under-the-radar." And his tone doesn't suck.

If you or anyone ever wants to chat theory, shoot me a message.
Roben Ford is where I got the Mixolydian over the IV Chord from. I am a shameless thief of riffs and ideas from whoever lol.
I like his style but find him annoying on his utube tutorials because he smacks his lips a lot at the end of sentences when talking. My bad though, downside of Aspergers.

Trey Anastasio ! At least for me, he is all about that Juliard-y, sort of "schooled musician" kind of theory. I know several people who are all about transcribing his stuff. (I am not good enough to do it but we talk about it all the time) And some of the stuff he is doing, mixing modes, adding chord tones, playing in the wrong key on purpose for tension and then resolving it, syncopation, changing time signatures in the middle of a jam......My God! And to be able to do it well in so many different "styles" is ridiculous to me. Many may not be into his music, but if you analyze it, there is no way to say that he isn't a master of music theory.

I remember one of the first times I saw Phish the band was playing in 3 different time signatures, somehow making it work, and when they all hit the one simultaneously and then took off together it was such a musical orgasm. Mind bogglingly satisfying. I'm in woodshedding mode at the moment, working on becoming a better lead player, and Trey is next up on the list to study - currently studying Dickey Betts (and Duane!) :).

I remember one of the first times I saw Phish the band was playing in 3 different time signatures, somehow making it work, and when they all hit the one simultaneously and then took off together it was such a musical orgasm. Mind bogglingly satisfying. I'm in woodshedding mode at the moment, working on becoming a better lead player, and Trey is next up on the list to study - currently studying Dickey Betts (and Duane!) :).
Yeah man. The first time I heard Phish I HATED it!!!!!! I was like "what is this sped up elevator music stuff"!!??

Within a month or so, I couldn't stop listening to them. Incredible.

I like his style but find him annoying on his utube tutorials because he smacks his lips a lot at the end of sentences when talking. My bad though, downside of Aspergers.

I don't like that either. Drives me crazy.

An alternative to mixolydian over the 4 is lydian dominant which is lydian with a flat 7 or you can look at it like mixolydian with a sharp 4.

Back